PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Cleric spell to help with low Spot/Listen

heavyfuel
2017-04-17, 11:56 PM
Not a Cleric, exactly. A Favored Soul.

Still, I need spells that can substitute the Perception skills or, at the very least, help offset the penalties the party has.

No one in the party has these skills at decent levels, so I'm thinking about how to be of use.

I currently have access to 3rd level spells, so anything up to 4th level would be ideal. Preferably long duration so it can be cast only once or twice during the day.

Thanks!

Particle_Man
2017-04-18, 12:02 AM
Owl's Wisdom?

Deophaun
2017-04-18, 12:03 AM
Eyes of the Avoral: Book of Exalted Deeds. +8 racial to spot. 10 min/level

heavyfuel
2017-04-18, 12:10 AM
Owl's Wisdom?

A +2 is hardly benefitial, now ain't it? Also, it's 1 min/lv, making it very impractical for unexpected situations

Eyes of the Avoral: Book of Exalted Deeds. +8 racial to spot. 10 min/level

Now that's more like it! 1st level, decent bonus, can be cast on others, I just wish the duration was hour/lv but with a Rod of Extend it should be decent. .

Please keep them coming

Rebel7284
2017-04-18, 12:13 AM
Planar Ally possibly :)

heavyfuel
2017-04-18, 12:26 AM
Planar Ally possibly :)

Hmmm, that's an interesting thought. Let's see the "Lesser" version as it's far more accessible

Effectively one day per level of duration, but pretty expensive at 500 GP per HD of the Creature. The best one I could find in my quick search was the Janni, at 6 HD and +11 bonus to Spot and Listen and some utility. But at 3000 gp per casting, I'm not sure it's worth it.

If anyone can find a creature that more cheaply fits my needs it'd be much appreciated.

Deophaun
2017-04-18, 12:36 AM
Divine insight, although that's only useful if you know (IC) you're going to need to make that Spot check, and so it's likely to be used for something else instead. Good spell to have, in any case.

Share talents, provided someone has at least 1 rank in the skill. Only +2, but untyped. Also 10 min/level.

Otherwise, providing Spot bonuses is more the Ranger's/Druid's bag than the Cleric's.

GilesTheCleric
2017-04-18, 02:15 AM
Spells like Augury, Divination, Clairaudience, or Scrying should solve this problem for you, while also being more versatile. As another mentioned above, Divine Insight/ Guidance of the Avatar is probably your other decent pick.

If it's passive perception that your party is lacking, you could probably solve it more easily by adding some hirelings (someone will roll a 20), and +competence items, since those are incredibly cheap. But generally, if you're proactive about your fights rather than reactive, you'll be able to make your limited resources go farther. And, someone in the party with more skill ranks/ int than you should have invested in perception regardless. It's a staple skill. Forcing you to waste slots on it is poor teamwork.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-18, 07:09 AM
Eyes of the Avoral was already mentioned.
There's also Vision of the Omnisicent Eye (DrM, cleric 3) for a +10 insight bonus to spot. It only lasts 1 min/level though.