PDA

View Full Version : Enhancing & Upgrading Specific Items

Cyussu
2017-04-18, 07:01 AM
As the title says, I'm trying to figure out how to price oddball items, for both DM & possible character for a game in the future, but the latter is not the primary worry.

Example: Gauntlets of the Talon, +5 Effective Monk Level, 1d8 Claw Damage, +4 Grapple, & Ghost Touch, 20,000gp.

Would it be possible to have these crafted of a different material?

Would it be possible to add +1~5 Enhancement Bonus(es) in the way of a weapon? Due to that being their primary usage.

I personally don't see why it can't be crafted from, say, adamantite, or be granted enhancement bonuses. But I don't fully understand, presuming if it can be upgraded.

Bayar
2017-04-18, 09:25 AM
Here's a link with relevant discussion. Basically, you'd have to enchant each gauntlet separately. Adamantine would add 3000 gold to each gauntlet on it's own.

Talk to the DM if the gauntlet enchantment can apply to the natural weapon part of the gauntlet.

Cyussu
2017-04-18, 09:46 AM
Here's a link with relevant discussion. Basically, you'd have to enchant each gauntlet separately. Adamantine would add 3000 gold to each gauntlet on it's own.

Talk to the DM if the gauntlet enchantment can apply to the natural weapon part of the gauntlet.

Okay so, that's not what I was asking. If you looked up the item in the example, you'd notice it's a 20,000gp "Relic" that requires a very specific feat. It's not a matter of "enchanting them separately" but the matter of it being a "Specific Magic item."

If that is the case, then it's 10,000gp/ea, requiring the pair for the abilities it itself has.

OldTrees1
2017-04-18, 10:27 AM
It is possible to craft a variant of specific magic items IFF the DM can identify a cost breakdown they find acceptable.

I see Gauntlets of the Talon as 3 effects:
A: +5 Effective Monk Level ~= but < 13000gp
B: +0 ghost touch claw (1d8 damage) ~2300gp
C: +4 Grapple
All effects except the most expensive cost 1.5x as much when on a single item.
20,000 - 13,000(A) - 1.5 * 2,300(B) ~= 1.5 * C
+5 ghost touch adamantine claw (1d8 damage) ~75,000
75,000 + 1.5 * 13,000 + 1.5 * C ~= 98,000gp

So I would initially estimate the modification of changing the weapon material to adamantine & enhancing it to +5 would raise the price to 98K gp.

Of course all this math is wrong because I forgot to factor in the effect of [Relic] on the cost of the item.