PDA

View Full Version : When do you need to roll?

Vasporos
2017-04-18, 08:05 AM
Hey guys, sorry if this had been asked but the group I'm in has pondered a situation without it coming up yet.

If a character goes into a room, finds an item by themselves, then is asked later if they find something, do they need to make a deception roll, up to DM, when is that appropriate? Without the inquisitive character meta gaming, just a general question while searching a dungeon.

nickl_2000
2017-04-18, 08:15 AM
Like most things it is up to the DM. That being said, you are clearly lying, so that would be a deception roll in my mind every time.

DivisibleByZero
2017-04-18, 08:21 AM
He is asked by the other players?
You answer however you want. They choose to believe you or not.
Deception/Persuasion/Intimidation/Insight, etc are for NPCs, so the players and DM have a way to determine how any given NPC reacts.
Players just react. Or not.

edit for clarity:
I don't let the dice determine if there is going to be intra-party conflict. I let the players decide that themselves.

Decstarr
2017-04-18, 08:54 AM
If we are talking PC vs PC: I wouldn't have them roll in such a scenario. I'd hang back and enjoy the show!
Either the being-lied-to PC believes the liar or he/she doesn't. If the being-lied-to PC chooses to disbelief, he might ask for a roll-off (depending on the liar's reaction). If you allow the roll-off or not would probably depend on how much meta-gaming is involved here. I mean, if the being-lied-to PC has no reason to disbelief his normally totally honest party member and the lie was uttered in a convincing manner, I don't see a reason to allow a (potentially successful) check. If the lie was completely unconvincing or e.g. the PC has shown a tendency to lie in the past, I might allow the roll-off. (Insight vs Deception). In any case, I'd do the roll-off in secret and as a DM deliver the result ("Judging by the way his left eye is twitching when you ask him, you sense he might not be entirely truthful with you") or let the player deliver the result via roleplaying.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-18, 08:56 AM
He is asked by the other players?
They choose to believe [him] or not.

I prefer this way, but then, I don't allow PVP at all.

If you're okay with PVP, you should probably allow deception vs insight contests. You'd also probably have to roll them yourself, behind the screen, to prevent metagaming.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-18, 09:31 AM
I prefer this way, but then, I don't allow PVP at all.

If you're okay with PVP, you should probably allow deception vs insight contests. You'd also probably have to roll them yourself, behind the screen, to prevent metagaming.

My players are amused by this level of PVP, so I have them openly roll their deception and insight against one another. When their home village was ransacked by trolls and one of the players wasn't there that day, the others lied to him about what happened, and for two sessions he had to believe their town had been destroyed by magical englishmen.