PDA

View Full Version : Locked room, filled with AMF dnd 3.5 L12. Druid. Solutions?

Rerednaw
2017-04-18, 09:05 AM
Since wild shape is Su, I am thinking Dragon Shape with Adamantine claws to dig out or any teleport is out.

Aside from man sized coffee cup hat, which not sure allowed with Vow of Poverty (which also means no equipment) or dipping Martial Study for Shadow Jaunt, what else may work please?

Thanks!

eggynack
2017-04-18, 09:15 AM
My thinking is the animal companion. Could still be reasonably burly, and it may have burrow. If you want to go kinda deep, you could even pull elemental companion for an earth elemental, which would have earth glide. As long as the room isn't just metal, that'd let the companion leave the room, and maybe work something out on the other side of the door, or get help. On the burliness angle, it'd have a shot at just breaking down the door or something, which is nice. And, of course, the animal companion would leave you somewhat more capable of dealing with those that try to kill you while you're in the room. Most druid stuff obviously isn't going to work in this scenario, but that's at least one edge you have against your casterly competition.

Inevitability
2017-04-18, 09:27 AM
What's the room made out of? Does it contain anything or anyone else but the druid?

Is this a prison scenario or a 'buried alive and left to die' scenario? Can the druid expect food or water to be delivered?

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-18, 09:35 AM
Shadow Jaunt needs LoS and LoE, so it's no good for teleporting out of a closed room.

If you're going to take Martial Study make it Mountain Hammer instead. You can break any door with that, given time. And everything else except walls of force. It's the ultimate lockpick.

Even better if you give it to your animal companion instead, which is likely stronger. A big, beefy dire bear or similar companion with Mountain Hammer will make short work of most obstructions.

Rerednaw
2017-04-18, 01:30 PM
Thanks folks for all the advice. This is more along the lines of contingency planning because of how the DM runs the campaign.

"Oh you breath fire...foes are fire immune..."
"Pick up cold attack? Cold AND fire resist/im immune..."
"Got invis? They see it."
"Got fly? All rooms have 10-15' ceilings. If 15' all foes have reach, fly or ranged attacks."

So he hasn't played the AMF card yet, but it's going to happen. :)

Pleh
2017-04-18, 01:38 PM
Adamantine heavy pick will ignore hardness up to 20.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-18, 02:09 PM
Adamantine heavy pick will ignore hardness up to 20.

OP has VoP though.
Probably because, in addition to metagaming the hell out his monsters, his DM is stingy as hell with loot. At least that's what i gathered from his posts in the past few days. :smalltongue:

Otherwise picking up an adamantine weapon is indeed a good idea for that kind of thing, though i prefer a dagger (easier to hide). The (almost) universal lockpick, and it doesn't cost a feat.
A Stone Dragon Belt of Mountain Hammer is better, but that doesn't work in AMF.

A +1 Rusting Bronzewood (or other non-metal) dagger is also a fun tool to carry around, just for the sheer "nope" you can inflict on most prisons, manacles, locks and other obstructions.
I like to keep mine in a Possum Pouch in addition to some other useful tools.