PDA

View Full Version : Latin translation?

Eldan
2017-04-18, 09:43 AM
I know others have had success with this before on this site, so I thought I might. Can someone translate "I have come to challenge you (to a fight)" into Latin for me? My grammar is atrocious, so I'd rather not do it myself.

Aedilred
2017-04-18, 11:33 AM
My grammar's a little fusty, but I think the following is accurate:

Veni ad te provocare (pugnae).

I believe the "ad" can, and perhaps should, be omitted, and the word order can be reshuffled.

Hoosigander
2017-04-18, 11:58 AM
I think one of the ways classical Latin handles it would be an ut clause with a subjunctive verb.

Veni ut te provocem. I have come in order to challenge you.

Edit: A super-literal schoolboy translation: I have come in order that I challenge you.

T-Mick
2017-04-18, 12:04 PM
This is my job!

"Provocare te in pugnam, ego veni"

"Veni ad te provocare"

"Veni ut ad pugnam te provocem"

et cetera!

Sense is the same in all of them. If I were walking into Caesar's house, I'd say the first one.

Murk
2017-04-18, 12:52 PM
This is my job!

"Veni ad te provocare"

et cetera!

Sense is the same in all of them. If I were walking into Caesar's house, I'd say the first one.

You are a Latin translator, and if you got the marvelous, amazing opportunity to be a guest at Caesar's house, you'd immediately challenge him to a fight?
That's unexpected.

Aedilred
2017-04-18, 12:53 PM
This is my job!

"Veni ad te provocare"

et cetera!

I do not dispute your translation, but, out of interest, why does it take the accusative for "pugna"?

Eldan
2017-04-18, 01:02 PM
Veni ad te provocare it is. (I got about as far as "Veni ad").

Thank you everyone.

T-Mick
2017-04-18, 03:21 PM
I do not dispute your translation, but, out of interest, why does it take the accusative for "pugna"?

"In" signifying "motion into" takes the accusative. The real question is whether getting "in a fight" is something that makes sense in both English and Latin, or whether you can Latin-ly move from a state of not-fighting to fighting. "Provocare" has the implication of calling for motion, and "pugna" has a sense of battle as a place (Caesar in pugnam duxit milites et cetera). Thus, "in pugnam" over "in pugna" or "pugnae," though "ad pugnam" makes sense too.

You are a Latin translator, and if you got the marvelous, amazing opportunity to be a guest at Caesar's house, you'd immediately challenge him to a fight?
That's unexpected.

He's not my favorite Roman! :smallbiggrin: Plutarch actually says he was a pretty scrawny guy, not what you'd expect from a great general. If I actually did walk into his house, I'd try to get him to pay me. He liked to pay off important people, and I have future knowledge!