PDA

View Full Version : Video game RPG encounters

braveheart
2017-04-18, 11:36 AM
I am going to run a one off for a group of friends that takes place in a setting very similar to Wreck it Ralph, (video game characters in an arcade get to go around and hang out with characters from other games after the arcade closes) and I was looking for some input on the encounters that the party will experience. The conflict will occur because a new game (very similar to castle crashers) will get plugged in, and the villains of the game don't believe that they are a video game and kidnap the damsels from every other video game in the arcade. so the party will need to fight through the hordes of enemies to save all the princesses before the arcade opens.

I already have the sub boss (trololol song playing over a dancing giant troll) and the final boss planed, but I'd like to pad the interim with some mobs of enemies, anything silly is very appropriate.

don't worry about game system, the one i have in place is designed to make combat against massive enemies, or large numbers of weak enemies extremely engaging.

:TLDR wreck it ralph setting, gets attacked by castle crashers, I need mob encounter ideas

braveheart
2017-04-19, 10:35 AM
Perhaps I named this poorly

Arbane
2017-04-19, 11:17 AM
Well, if it's a fantasy game, pretty much any fantasy enemies would work.

Mobs of goblins or equivalent.
Skeletons who get very upset (with upper-class brit accents) when the heroes hit them.
GODDAMNED BATS that pick characters up and drop them back at the entrance.
A dragon with the personality of a hyperactive Labrador Retriever.
A knight in armor doing the NONE SHALL PASS schtick.

JeenLeen
2017-04-19, 12:38 PM
You might find some ideas from this thread (about a movie-universe) portable into a video-game universe: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?496468-Movie-World-GM-Needs-help-with-ideas

I think the conversation in the above geared more towards having an internally-consistent world than your game might want, as you mention silliness. But I hope it is somewhat useful. Anything I could recommend would likely be very similar to recommendations made above.