PDA

View Full Version : Fighter/Warlock Progression

LordNibbler
2017-04-18, 12:22 PM
I have a mountain dwarf fighter (champion) 6/warlock (fiend, blade) 3 who wields a glaive in full plate. He started as a fighter. I was originally planning on continuing to warlock 9 for 5th level spells then finishing with fighter 11 for the third attack.

Looking at the levels 7-9 of warlock though, I'm not sure I gain much by staying past level 5 or 6 as I'm planning on mostly using my spell slots to buff my combat abilities (hex, mirror image, misty step, darkness). I'd like to get the third level spell slot to extend hex. If I go to 6, I max ASIs but keep the fiendish bonus to saves which is very nice. If I stay at 5, I get the improved critical from champion 15.

My stats are S18, D10, C18, I8, W10, Ch13.
Defense fighting style
Polearm master feat
PHB and SCAG allowed.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Talionis
2017-04-19, 07:31 AM
Charisma 13 so I'd stay away from to hit or save spells. You have the right idea. Also lifesrinker wont have any upside. 9 Warlock has a lot of utility you get a fifth level spell slot and an extra invocation. I'm with you that the spells you get really don't help your play style much. Make sure to look at your Patron spell options as well. Area of Effect damage spells often have a save but they are most effective against weaker creatures in multiples that are more likely to fail it so the higher level slots help there.

Second what would you Target to get from Champion above 11. That's slim pickings too.

Here's a suggestion, two levels of Paladin, it especially good if you aren't using the UA new Warlock smites. Even spells known could be a big help because you get the spell smites and add a little healing utility. You have more opportunity to critical hit than most which helps with smites and smite spells. You also qualify by stats. If you have access to new Warlock invocations it's less good an option.

I guess the other thing to consider is Bard or Sorcerer levels to add spells known

NecroDancer
2017-04-19, 11:45 AM
Warlock 6 for dark ones own luck is ok

MrStabby
2017-04-19, 12:06 PM
I would either stop warlock at 3 or take it to 11. At warlock 3 you get spell slots (level2) invocations, an archetype feature and a pact feature. As a melee character you are going to me making a lot of concentration saves which slightly limits the utility of concentration spells from higher level spell slots.

On the other hand warlock gets a major boost at 11. 3 spells per short rest plus a mystic arcanum. This gives you a lot more magic to play with both in and outside of combat.

At that point you can consider other classes as well - a touch of barbarian? Maybe a rogue dip if you want to do some shoving? Paladin dip for smites and a broader spell selection?