PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What's so great about Devotion Paladin?

Asmotherion
2017-04-18, 02:24 PM
DISCLAIMER: First of all, I want to clearyfy that I am talking strictly from an optimisation standpoint. I respect the lore and RP of all classes, reguardless of my likes and dislikes, and this is not a lament thread, rather than a genuent questioning about why do many people chose this option.

Now that this has been cleared out, let me proceed with the actual introduction:

What strikes me as peculiar, to say the least, is that many optimisers chose the Devotion Paladin, over the Ancients and Vengence, and I cannot understand why, as I see the other two options as way supperior to it. Let me explain:

Oath Spells: He gets some Cleric Spells. Vengence gets Hunter's Mark, adding a lot to his Damage per Round, wile Ancients get Ensnearing Strike, to better lock an enemy into position and dealing extra damage. Devotion gets some nice spells that can be occasionally usefull, but overall, it's mostly the Cleric's role to cast them. Overall, I think the other two options are far superior.

Chanel Divinity: His Sacred Weapon is indeed a good thing, but it's only one fight 'till the next short rest. Turn the Unholy is situational at best. Ancient options are inferior indeed, but Vengance has Advantage. I think I'll take advantage over a bonus to attack rolls, even if they are close admitingly.

Aura: Now we're talking. Devotion gives you and party members imunity to Enchanting... Ok, situational at best... again. Vengence gives you possibly the best ability to combine with Polearm Master+Sentinel. You can literally control the distance of your enemy (using a Glaive for reach), Stop them from running away or run too far for them at will. You are basically virtually untouchable in melee. Finally, we got Ancients: Aura of Warding is the Ace of this build, and probably one of the best abilities in the game! Combined with your Aura of Protection, you are virtually imune to the only thing that can deal enough damage to be a threat to you. So, yeah, allow me to say that Spell Damage Resistance is one of the best things you can have, especially on a Melee Build (That already has good Overall Defances, Perfect Saves and good AC.)

Then, we have one more Situational Ability on an already heavily situational Paladin, for Devotion. On the other hand, Ancients prevents you from dying/falling unconsious once, giving time to heal yourself, thus it's almost like a limited second life in an arcade. Vengence gets something he probably has already covered by taking polearm master, but it's still a nice ability to have, in the rare case someone managed to get in melee with you. With his previous ability, he can still move half his speed afterwards, wile locking him there with sentinel, thus not allowing further attacks.

Finally, we have the Capstone Ability... At level 20. Now, let's be honest, most optimisers at the very least dip away from Paladin, if not outright multiclass at some point. So, overall, I don't believe the Capstone Abilities at level 20 are at all relevant to a real game, both because of Dips, as well as the Fact that most games never reach lv 20. However, a honorrary mention:

Holy nimbus: Yeah, ok. A nice Damaging Aura... Remember spirit guardians anyone? You can get similar effects at an earlyer level by diping Bard or Cleric through it, or, if it's really your thing, realistically get it way before LV20 as a Crown Paladin (which was not mentioned as I am focusing more in PHB entries). Also, the even more situational advantage against Fiend and Undead spells does not impress me at all... OK, you're a Demon&Undead Hunter, we get it. Go tell that to a Lich, Pit Fiend or Balor...

Avenging Angel: Now you're talking. 60 feet fly speed (120 if you dash), fear effect on oponents, and as you hunt them down (and keep up with them) with your superior speed, you have advantage on attack rolls. Not only really thematic for a Vengence Theme, it's also a perfect ability for ensuring a DS. As they run further away from you, they provoke, and you attack with an oportunity attack, where sentinel kicks in, and locks them. Rince and repeat.

Eldrer Champion: Once again, Ancients Paladin comes out on top. You are virtually imortal for 1 minute. You regenerate 10 HP per turn (WOW! Combined with the rest of your abilities, that's less than the damage you usually take in the first place), you can Quicken all your spells during that time, like a sorcerer does, and force Disadvantage to Saving throws from your spells. If Avanging Angel is the terror from the sky, you are a Virtual God of Nature for 1 minute per day!. Now, compare that to Holly nimbus...

TL;DR:
So, overally, here is my question: What am I missing? Why (from a pure optimisation standpoint, not including Lore, Fluff or personal preferance, which I all respect) would anyone want to play a freacking Devotion Paladin, when, compared to the other options, he is so situational and overall lame...? Why do so many people prefear him over the far superior Ancients and Vengance options?

DivisibleByZero
2017-04-18, 02:36 PM
Vengeance's Abjure Enemy is advantage, yes, but it's against one creature.
Devotion's Sacred Weapon is a bonus, yes, but it's against everything.
Bonus to everything wins.

And since when is permanent Protection from Good/Evil situational?!?!?
Aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead now have disadvantage to attack you, forever, and you can't be charmed, frightened or possessed by them.
That's situational? That's literally one of the best abilities in the entire game!

Biggstick
2017-04-18, 02:53 PM
Agreed with Divisible. The permanent Protection from Evil/Good plus the anti-charm aura are severely underrated by some folks. Immunity to Charm can pretty much negate certain creatures you come across, and Protection from Evil/Good gives some pretty incredible buffs to the Paladin.

Because of it's Channel Divinity, I always consider Devotion Paladins as being amazing for Great Weapon Masters.

And I mean, who plays the standard Paladin trope anymore? That could be a pretty interesting role playing challenge if you're in a group of murderhobos.

Asmotherion
2017-04-18, 02:56 PM
Vengeance's Abjure Enemy is advantage, yes, but it's against one creature.
Devotion's Sacred Weapon is a bonus, yes, but it's against everything.
Bonus to everything wins.

And since when is permanent Protection from Good/Evil situational?!?!?
Aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead now have disadvantage to attack you, forever, and you can't be charmed, frightened or possessed by them.
That's situational? That's literally one of the best abilities in the entire game!

It is situational, as in Depending on the DM and Campain you're playing. For example, it's very nice in Out of the Abyss but it's almost useless in Rice of Tiamat, were you mostly fight Humanoids and Dragons.

In a custom adventure, any sane DM will include, but not spam those creature types, knowing that he wants to give the Devotion Paladin his chance to shine, but not make the game easyer for him. Thus I stand by my words, that it's situational at best. Even if it wasn't, it's in the Paladin general Spell List, thus he can cast Protection From Evil and Good whenever he really needs it, making his permanent protection far less impressive. At least in my humble oppinion. The only real advantage I can see is that he no longer needs concentration on it, but still, the other abilities at the same level are far more impressive IMO.

Agreed with Divisible. The permanent Protection from Evil/Good plus the anti-charm aura are severely underrated by some folks. Immunity to Charm can pretty much negate certain creatures you come across, and Protection from Evil/Good gives some pretty incredible buffs to the Paladin.

Because of it's Channel Divinity, I always consider Devotion Paladins as being amazing for Great Weapon Masters.

And I mean, who plays the standard Paladin trope anymore? That could be a pretty interesting role playing challenge if you're in a group of murderhobos.

Immunity to Charm is not bad, but still situational... Actually the whole Devotion Paladin Archetype is designed to be the natural enemy of specific things, and his whole build is situationally usefull.

What makes me wander is that I see the Devotion Paladin suggested as the best Paladin, wile I can only see him as the Worst of the 3. I am not saying he is bad, I am just finding him inferior to the other options.

Malifice
2017-04-18, 03:01 PM
DISCLAIMER: First of all, I want to clearyfy that I am talking strictly from an optimisation standpoint. I respect the lore and RP of all classes, reguardless of my likes and dislikes, and this is not a lament thread, rather than a genuent questioning about why do many people chose this option.

Now that this has been cleared out, let me proceed with the actual introduction:

What strikes me as peculiar, to say the least, is that many optimisers chose the Devotion Paladin, over the Ancients and Vengence, and I cannot understand why, as I see the other two options as way supperior to it. Let me explain:

Oath Spells: He gets some Cleric Spells. Vengence gets Hunter's Mark, adding a lot to his Damage per Round, wile Ancients get Ensnearing Strike, to better lock an enemy into position and dealing extra damage. Devotion gets some nice spells that can be occasionally usefull, but overall, it's mostly the Cleric's role to cast them. Overall, I think the other two options are far superior.

Chanel Divinity: His Sacred Weapon is indeed a good thing, but it's only one fight 'till the next short rest. Turn the Unholy is situational at best. Ancient options are inferior indeed, but Vengance has Advantage. I think I'll take advantage over a bonus to attack rolls, even if they are close admitingly.

Aura: Now we're talking. Devotion gives you and party members imunity to Enchanting... Ok, situational at best... again. Vengence gives you possibly the best ability to combine with Polearm Master+Sentinel. You can literally control the distance of your enemy (using a Glaive for reach), Stop them from running away or run too far for them at will. You are basically virtually untouchable in melee. Finally, we got Ancients: Aura of Warding is the Ace of this build, and probably one of the best abilities in the game! Combined with your Aura of Protection, you are virtually imune to the only thing that can deal enough damage to be a threat to you. So, yeah, allow me to say that Spell Damage Resistance is one of the best things you can have, especially on a Melee Build (That already has good Overall Defances, Perfect Saves and good AC.)

Then, we have one more Situational Ability on an already heavily situational Paladin, for Devotion. On the other hand, Ancients prevents you from dying/falling unconsious once, giving time to heal yourself, thus it's almost like a limited second life in an arcade. Vengence gets something he probably has already covered by taking polearm master, but it's still a nice ability to have, in the rare case someone managed to get in melee with you. With his previous ability, he can still move half his speed afterwards, wile locking him there with sentinel, thus not allowing further attacks.

Finally, we have the Capstone Ability... At level 20. Now, let's be honest, most optimisers at the very least dip away from Paladin, if not outright multiclass at some point. So, overall, I don't believe the Capstone Abilities at level 20 are at all relevant to a real game, both because of Dips, as well as the Fact that most games never reach lv 20. However, a honorrary mention:

Holy nimbus: Yeah, ok. A nice Damaging Aura... Remember spirit guardians anyone? You can get similar effects at an earlyer level by diping Bard or Cleric through it, or, if it's really your thing, realistically get it way before LV20 as a Crown Paladin (which was not mentioned as I am focusing more in PHB entries). Also, the even more situational advantage against Fiend and Undead spells does not impress me at all... OK, you're a Demon&Undead Hunter, we get it. Go tell that to a Lich, Pit Fiend or Balor...

Avenging Angel: Now you're talking. 60 feet fly speed (120 if you dash), fear effect on oponents, and as you hunt them down (and keep up with them) with your superior speed, you have advantage on attack rolls. Not only really thematic for a Vengence Theme, it's also a perfect ability for ensuring a DS. As they run further away from you, they provoke, and you attack with an oportunity attack, where sentinel kicks in, and locks them. Rince and repeat.

Eldrer Champion: Once again, Ancients Paladin comes out on top. You are virtually imortal for 1 minute. You regenerate 10 HP per turn (WOW! Combined with the rest of your abilities, that's less than the damage you usually take in the first place), you can Quicken all your spells during that time, like a sorcerer does, and force Disadvantage to Saving throws from your spells. If Avanging Angel is the terror from the sky, you are a Virtual God of Nature for 1 minute per day!. Now, compare that to Holly nimbus...

TL;DR:
So, overally, here is my question: What am I missing? Why (from a pure optimisation standpoint, not including Lore, Fluff or personal preferance, which I all respect) would anyone want to play a freacking Devotion Paladin, when, compared to the other options, he is so situational and overall lame...? Why do so many people prefear him over the far superior Ancients and Vengance options?

Re spells, why use Hunters mark, when you can use Bless? Its better in every way barring duration.

The [+Cha to hit] channel divinity of Devotion when paired with Great Weapon Master is horribly good. As it is with any weapon that deals bonus damage on a hit.

Like a Holy Avenger.

MaxWilson
2017-04-18, 03:01 PM

TL;DR:

I'm a natural powergamer (i.e. I readily perceive dominant strategies and am often tempted to use them), not an "optimizer", so I don't know if you want my perspective, but:

(1) Yes, fluff is a big part of it. The Devotion Paladin is the only version of the Paladin in the PHB that actually behaves like a Paladin, in the opinion of my old grognard brain. So, in some cases, you may see people preferring it for fluff reasons.

(2) Sanctuary is a nice spell for a tank. Bonus action cast, no concentration, usable on others when necessary.

(3) Sacred Weapon has a worse action economy but better effects than Abjure Enemy. Not only is it a stackable bonus which works well with feats like Great Weapon Master and/or Polearm Master or Shield Master (which grant advantage pretty reliably via shoving), but it also makes your weapon magic, which lets you penetrate invulnerabilities and resistances.

(4) Turn Undead is also a pretty nice action to have on hand.

(5) Most of the paladin's best stuff (Wrathful Smite, Aura of Vitality, Aura of Protection) is on the base chassis anyway so you don't really miss out on anything important. Stuff like Hunter's Mark competes with the base chassis for concentration, so it's less good than it seems. Besides, Paladins don't have enough attacks to take full advantage of things like Hunter's Mark/Wrathful Smite.

Overall, #2-4 suffice to keep the Devotion Paladin "good enough" from a mechanical standpoint, and the roleplaying ("fluff") then pushes it over the top as the obvious choice. If I want to make and play a paladin, I want to make and play a paladin (brave, kind, trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, tolerant, etc.) so Devotion it is. If I want a hard-bitten, battle-scarred Veteran of the Psychic Wars with drinking issues I'll just play a fighter instead.

HTH.
Max

DivisibleByZero
2017-04-18, 03:04 PM
It is situational, as in Depending on the DM and Campain you're playing. For example, it's very nice in Out of the Abyss but it's almost useless in Rice of Tiamat, were you mostly fight Humanoids and Dragons.

In a custom adventure, any sane DM will include, but not spam those creature types, knowing that he wants to give the Devotion Paladin his chance to shine, but not make the game easyer for him. Thus I stand by my words, that it's situational at best. Even if it wasn't, it's in the Paladin general Spell List, thus he can cast Protection From Evil and Good whenever he really needs it, making his permanent protection far less impressive. At least in my humble oppinion. The only real advantage I can see is that he no longer needs concentration on it, but still, the other abilities at the same level are far more impressive IMO.

You may think that, but the fact is that the arguably lackluster Oath spell list is the only thing that keeps Devotion balanced. If it had a better spell list, it would hands down be the fan favorite, and by a wide margin.

jaappleton
2017-04-18, 03:06 PM
Vow of Enmity is vs 1 target. That's it.
Devotion gets +Cha to attack rolls against anybody.

I'm a firm believer that always, someone in combat should be Concentrating on the Bless spell. At lv6, regardless of Oath, with 16 Cha and 16 Con, you're talking +6 to Concentration, minimum. If you took Resilient: Con, you're talking another +3 at that point for +9, and with Bless, that's another +1d4. You're auto-saving on a ton of Concentration saves. Now, what's Bless have to do with damage? I mean, it's available to all Paladins regardless of Oath, right?

Well, Vengeance has more things to Concentrate on. And many of the options are actually traps. Hunter's Mark, for example. What's better? +1d4 to attack rolls and saves for most of, if not all, party members, or +1d6 damage?

Bless does stack with Sacred Weapon... 1d4 + 3 (Again, 16 Cha), + 4 (18 Str) + 3 (Lv6 prof. bonus) for 10+1d4. Pretty damn great.

Just because you get spells not on the Paladin list doesn't necessarily make them good spells. Hold Person on a Paladin may seem good, because you think of the paralyzed condition and all the crit damage from Divine Smite. But you don't get it until level 5, when the other spellcasters in your group have had it for a few levels now. And you can't attack on the same turn as casting it. So when the enemy saves out, what'd you really do? You're a hitter, not a mage. Let someone else cast Hold Person, you're there to hurt things.

Aett_Thorn
2017-04-18, 03:13 PM

Mmmm...Rice of Tiamat. I wonder if it's fried rice of Tiamat or just plain white rice of Tiamat.

MaxWilson
2017-04-18, 03:19 PM
Aura of Warding is the Ace of this build, and probably one of the best abilities in the game! Combined with your Aura of Protection, you are virtually imune to the only thing that can deal enough damage to be a threat to you.

I wonder whether the OP is letting Oath of Ancients get resistance to too much. By RAW, it only gives resistance to damage from spells, so it does nothing to reduce damage from dragon breath weapons, elemental auras, medusa poison... Most monsters don't rely on spellcasting for their AoEs.

Spell Resistance is actually really, really situational. It helps against Liches, and if a Pit Fiend decides to chuck Fireballs at you instead of meleeing it will help you there, but really that's about it. If it were "resistance to all non-physical damage" I would covet it greatly, but it's not. It's just "resistance to 5-35%ish of all non-physical damage, depending on campaign style."

Asmotherion
2017-04-18, 03:22 PM
I can see now some things I was missing (such as Bless instead of Hunter's Mark for example and concentration economy).

Wile I still view it as an inferior option to the other 2, I can understand the mechanics that may make an optimiser want to get his hands on it. What makes me see it as an inferior option, is not really that it has worst mechanics, rather than it has good mechanics I have no interest in. It's just not the mechanics I would like to use on my character, wile the other two (Protection Specialist and Control/Mobility Expert respectivelly) appear superior to me, because it's more attuned to my optimisation phylosophy.

Overall, I can safelly comment that, it's ok, just not for me.

Mmmm...Rice of Tiamat. I wonder if it's fried rice of Tiamat or just plain white rice of Tiamat.

You know, not everyone is a Native English Speaker, and some people have dyslexia on top of that. So, good for you, pointing out dictation errors, if it makes you feel bigger bellow the belt for doing so.

I wonder whether the OP is letting Oath of Ancients get resistance to too much. By RAW, it only gives resistance to damage from spells, so it does nothing to reduce damage from dragon breath weapons, elemental auras, medusa poison... Most monsters don't rely on spellcasting for their AoEs.

Spell Resistance is actually really, really situational. It helps against Liches, and if a Pit Fiend decides to chuck Fireballs at you instead of meleeing it will help you there, but really that's about it. If it were "resistance to all non-physical damage" I would covet it greatly, but it's not. It's just "resistance to 5-35%ish of all non-physical damage, depending on campaign style."

You do have a point. Perhaps it's because of my tendancy to over-estimate spellcasters, and overall like of magic, but frankly, on a second though, it is indeed situational.

DivisibleByZero
2017-04-18, 03:25 PM
Overall, I can safelly comment that, it's ok, just not for me.

I feel the same way. But I recognize it for what it is, not for what I want it to be. :smallwink:

Specter
2017-04-18, 03:29 PM
You're labeling things as situational too much. No charming for the whole party is huge, ans turns lethal combats into park walks. Infinite protection from good and evil that protects you against 5 creature types? Not situational at all.

The only hole in Devotion is Sacred Weapon wasting your entire turn.

PeteNutButter
2017-04-18, 03:33 PM
Just to pile on here...

The +cha to hit ability is in its own class, not conflicting with anything. I find in larger parties, like at many AL tables, there are often several ways to get advantage to hit. Someone might be a shield master shoving prone, someone else might be doing some debilitating spell on the enemy etc. Advantage doesn't help in a lot of cases because you might already have it.

I've definitely seen vengeance paladin's vow against a foe and that foe get repeatedly shoved prone (or die) making it wasted.

None of the spell lists are really that amazing.

Vengeance gets haste which is a fantastic spell, but needs to be used with caution if you don't have warcaster or con save proficiency. Oath of the crown gets spirit guardians, which is fun. Hunter's Mark is only really viable if you get multiple fights out of it or if you use a 1-hander. Ensnaring strike is cool, but it being a strength save really makes it hard to stick against the targets you'd want to keep at bay.

Ruslan
2017-04-18, 03:37 PM
What strikes me as peculiar, to say the least, is that many optimisers chose the Devotion Paladin, over the Ancients and Vengence, and I cannot understand why
The Devotion Paladin is the one that best represent the Noble Knight in Shining Armor fantasy archetype. Vengeance and Ancients are different, good in their own way, of course, but they just don't fit the theme. Some people just want to play a noble goody-two-shoes-knight, what are you gonna tell them?

I do realize swearing an oath to avenge some wrong or dancing naked in the woods will make you mechanically better, but it ain't no NKiSA.

MeeposFire
2017-04-18, 03:39 PM
You're labeling things as situational too much. No charming for the whole party is huge, ans turns lethal combats into park walks. Infinite protection from good and evil that protects you against 5 creature types? Not situational at all.

The only hole in Devotion is Sacred Weapon wasting your entire turn.

Yea devotion is good but a lot of people tend to forget that part especially since people are talking about having bless up too. An action for bless and an action for sacred weapon really eats into your combat timing as that is two turns of not doing any offensive actions. You can use just one but even so eating a full action is always a major trade off on a class that is designed to directly attack enemies.

Foxhound438
2017-04-18, 04:41 PM
i agree with the sentiment that devotion is on the weaker end, but the channel is actually really solid if you have a spare action before combat (ie, you're grandstanding and making a speech while applying the effect), and it's unequivocally better than the ancients pally's nature wrath.

The ancients pally's channel takes the same action, only applies to one thing, offers a choice of two save types, and gives free repeat saves for the entire duration. That is more often than not useless.

I hate to dis my favorite flavor of paladins like that, but it really is the absolute worst in terms of paladin channels.

Clistenes
2017-04-18, 04:50 PM

It is delicious, but far too expensive. Apparently, hunting down Tiamat's avatars is a bitch of a job...