PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting Warforged Battlefist with Valorous - Good idea?

Teryon
2017-04-18, 05:09 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin. Working on character still, and I keep finding that I like the idea of a giant gleaming metal raging thing punching people to death. I also know that I shouldn't try and use monk at all. So do the attack rules for unarmed strike(utilizing fanged ring and some psiwar powers) work for the whole PA\Leap Attack\Shock Trooper deal, or should I stick with the tried and true greatsword and just have the backhand smack as a backup?

ComaVision
2017-04-18, 05:13 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin. Working on character still, and I keep finding that I like the idea of a giant gleaming metal raging thing punching people to death. I also know that I shouldn't try and use monk at all. So do the attack rules for unarmed strike(utilizing fanged ring and some psiwar powers) work for the whole PA\Leap Attack\Shock Trooper deal, or should I stick with the tried and true greatsword and just have the backhand smack as a backup?

Do what you want to do, bruh. Most of the damage comes from PA, not the weapon. The biggest drawback is that it's not a two handed weapon so you won't get that boost to PA. The DM might overlook that to help you realize your concept though.

Teryon
2017-04-18, 09:56 PM
Was more making sure it even worked at *all*. This isn't exactly a high char-op campaign(actually,none I ever play in are), so I'm content to lose a bit of theoretical damage to fulfill a role and archetype that'll be fun. Makes a change from BatWizard\BatSorcerer for me.

remetagross
2017-04-19, 10:31 AM
Pay attention to the fact that by RAW, the Battlefist is merely an enhancement of the slam attack, which is a natural weapon. As such, it cannot be used for iteratives. Except if you play a Warforged Monk, in which case the Battlefist is an enhancement of your unarmed strike, and then you can get iterative with it.

CozJa
2017-04-19, 11:40 AM
Pay attention to the fact that by RAW, the Battlefist is merely an enhancement of the slam attack, which is a natural weapon. As such, it cannot be used for iteratives. Except if you play a Warforged Monk, in which case the Battlefist is an enhancement of your unarmed strike, and then you can get iterative with it.

That's true, and that rule becomes somewhat comical when you consider that the Battlefist of a Renegade Mastermaker gets to use iteratives... It's just like: do you want to be the best warforged battlefist user? Be a not warforged :smalleek:

zergling.exe
2017-04-19, 11:47 AM
Nothing to add to battlefists, just saying that you don't enchant items, you enhance them. You enchant creatures. :smallwink:

Fouredged Sword
2017-04-19, 01:08 PM
I would suggest at least a dip in monk. The decisive strike ACF paired with Beast Strike ensure you can quadruple dip on your battle fist enhancement bonus to damage. I, personally, enjoy a monk 2 / sorcerer 5 / Enlightned fist 10 / abjurant champion 5 build so you can greater mighty wallop your own battlefist and have 8th level spells still.

You end up with 32d6+lots punches. It is a fun build in that you don't rely on power attack to deal damage.

emeraldstreak
2017-04-20, 05:48 PM

If you want to use a battlefist, you have two options. One, argue in favor of cheese that will let you use unarmed strike as two-handed weapon (yes, UA, not the slam because there's only 1 attack of it) and do the PA optimization.

The more sensible option is to go for a warforged who doesn't use PA, but instead weapon dice optimization on unarmed strike and adds his slam to the damage via Beast Strike. Preferably go for Unarmed Swordsage + a level of Barbarian for pounce. The main stat can be Strength (will be added x2.5), or Dex via Finesse, or Wis via Intuitive Attack.

Buff unarmed strike by level (ie Monk's Belt, Superior Unarmed Strike) and by size or size-like (ie Improved Natural Attack which is a prereq for Beast Strike, the battlefist itself, Greater Mighty Wallop).

Buff the slam with GMW too (this is where a slightly custom eternal wand works well for warforged), or, exploit a Necklace of Natural Weapons to add the cheap Sizing enchant and simply boost it to Colossal - the attack penalty will be meaningless because Beast Strike simply adds the damage to your unarmed strikes.

Valorous, twisted charge, etc stay the same.

Teryon
2017-04-20, 07:42 PM

Right now being at CL 10 and not having taken classes which provide full BAB progression, I'm not too concerned about iteratives since, well, not really getting any decent ones(+7\+2). Our particular group does not have a wizard or sorcerer, just a druid, so I've gotta handle alot of the buffing myself so going psychic warrior.

If you want to use a battlefist, you have two options. One, argue in favor of cheese that will let you use unarmed strike as two-handed weapon (yes, UA, not the slam because there's only 1 attack of it) and do the PA optimization.

The more sensible option is to go for a warforged who doesn't use PA, but instead weapon dice optimization on unarmed strike and adds his slam to the damage via Beast Strike. Preferably go for Unarmed Swordsage + a level of Barbarian for pounce. The main stat can be Strength (will be added x2.5), or Dex via Finesse, or Wis via Intuitive Attack.

Buff unarmed strike by level (ie Monk's Belt, Superior Unarmed Strike) and by size or size-like (ie Improved Natural Attack which is a prereq for Beast Strike, the battlefist itself, Greater Mighty Wallop).

Buff the slam with GMW too (this is where a slightly custom eternal wand works well for warforged), or, exploit a Necklace of Natural Weapons to add the cheap Sizing enchant and simply boost it to Colossal - the attack penalty will be meaningless because Beast Strike simply adds the damage to your unarmed strikes.

Valorous, twisted charge, etc stay the same.

I wouldn't know the cheese to argue for treating a punch as a 2H weapon. As for the rest, I took barbarian precisely for rage and pounce, and we're not using ToB in this game(DM is just coming back after, like, 15 years of not running), so Swordsage is out; even then, the character concept just doesn't scream out anyone who's had time to sit down and do the whole 'Snatch this cricket from my hand' thing or similar. Will have to see if I can cram in Beast Strike, or if I'm going to have to forgo the 3 levels of Fist of the Forest(which'll mess with my already weak AC and unarmed damage). Hrm. The items though, got those on the list; can't afford the GMW or necklace atm with everything else needed; do have a monk's belt however. Why would twisted charge be useful, given its need for acrobatics ranks and inability to move faster than normal base speed?