PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying 12 spells and 6 cantrips you wish you had in real life.

Asmotherion
2017-04-18, 07:45 PM
Going by the Spells Known Approach, which 12 spells and which 6 cantrips you wish you had in real life, and how would you use them?

I'll start:

Cantrips:

1) Eldritch Blast: Self defance, and the cool factor of having Hand Beams.

2) Mage Hand: How many times I wish I had this on when I'm too bored to pick up my tv Remote or fetch something...

3) Prestidigitation: lighting my smokes when I'm our of zippo fluid? check. Cleaning my shirt when I accidentally spill coffee on it? Check. Replicating my keys for when I lock myself out of the house? Check. Instand fireworks that don't cost? Check. Warm my meal when I'm at work and there is a line to use the Micro-Oven? Check. Prank my friends or taking petty revenge on someone by making their meal taste like literal crap? Check. A simple cantrip that makes life soooo much easier... What's not to love?

4) Minor Illusion: Ah, the time I would have saved in my life, if I could just make a 3-D picture of what I mean, instead of using countless hours to describe it... A picture is worth a thousand words they say... Also, could potentially be used for all sort of movies, with a camera.

5) Charm Person: I am aware of the negative effects afterwards, but who cares? For a minute, you can convince someone to do virtually anything, like sign up contracts, start a fight, or "lend" you a large sum of money... So many things you can do with it...

6) Mending: I was between this and Fire-Bolt, but I figured I already have enough fancy-cool-factor ones with Eldritch Blast, and decided to focus on utility... So, yeah... practically, you can repair anything you want with this spell, as long as you cast it enough times... I mean, the imunity to calling a tachnician who will practically overcharge you alone... not to mention valuable or sentimentally ireplacable items that you just can't aford to throw away... It might be situational to an adventurer, but it's one of the best cantrips ever.

Spells:

Unseen Servant: Ah, the sweet feeling of never having to clean the dishes or the toilet again. I don't even know how many times I've actually hired a maid, just to get away of those things.... If I had this, I'd just need to focus for 10 minutes, possible multiples of 10 minutes, and have my home cleaned wile all I do is sit on the couch, possibly watching TV. Quite possible the top non-cantrip spell in my list.

Feather Fall: If you always dreamed about a free fall, but fear a parachute malfunction, this is the perfect way for a really extream sport.

Alter Self: Espionage is probably the best use. Other than that, going in a restaurent pretending to be a VIP seems like a good use. In all honesty, messing with people by saying something wile looking like someone else seems more like how I would use it.

Fly: Ah, the sweet Dreams of flying... If only I could fly on my own accord, without technological support, I'd feel so free... Also, no more trafic, which is one of the most anoying things in my life.

Wall of Stone: Yey, now I'm undisputely the fastest Construction Company in the Field. I could earn big money with this one, as long as I can hide the fact I don't actually use the money for the Construction materials... :3

Teleportation Cyrcle: Construction Company in the day, Travel Agency in the evening... Not quite literally, as I can literally do both jobs at the same time, earning real big money in the process. I could even build Hotels around the World for even more Profit. Hmmm...

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion: Speaking of Hotels and Vacation, not only could I use the relaxation of this Dream-World Hotel, I could actually be paid to re-design it according to the wishes of a client, to provide them the "Paradice for a Day" experiance. Completelly re-designed to their taste, from rooms interior, to the very maids (hint-hint), and food preferances. I could get loads of money once by providing this service to rich people, and get VIP friends in the process...Why do I need all this money you ask? Well, once I get established ecconomically, I can use...

Clone: Not only ever-lasting life, but even a safeguard against assasination... With all the money I'd make, I would make multiple clones, since one is never enough...

Demiplane: And, put them each in a ceparate one of those, so that nobody will be able to find and destroy them.

Simulacrum: Now, not only can I be at two places at the same time, I can also not participate to events I don't want to, wile everyone else thinks I did.

True Polymorph: So many things to do with this spell... But first things first, I'd true polymorth my simulacrum into a Bronze Dragon. This way, I both have my double when I need to (via Change Shape), and the coolest Ride Ever. Who needs a Ferrari, when you can ride a Dragon really?

Wish: I know it's cliche, and unoriginal, but who would not want to have the power of a god in his hands?

I'd be happy to read your list :)

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-18, 07:51 PM
I haven't worked anything past prestidigitation because I am very lazy person. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNJ5ZgHj1VM)

Maybe disguise self because I am also a very ugly person.

Kane0
2017-04-18, 08:40 PM
Prestidigitation: Needs no introduction nor explanation. Its practically a given.
Mending: Not far behind prestidigitation, fix broken srtuff with no effort.
Mage Hand: Lazy, low power telekinesis.
Guidance: If I actually need to put effort into something this will help my chances a bunch. Literally just try harder.
Minor Illusion: Because why tell when I can show?
Vicious Mockery: It's possible for me to kill you with words alone.

Special Mention: Druidcraft & Thaumaturgy for being backups for prestidigitation and shocking grasp for lethal hilarity

Wish: Okay it's a little risky if you're stupid with it, but you can safely replicate pretty much any other spell with it. Tell me that isn't in everyone's top three.
Demiplane: My own private island, made to my exact specifications
Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion: My own private mansion on said island, to my specific tastes
True polymorph: The exact body I desire. Can also earn money giving others they bodies they want.
Divination (or Foresight depending): Accurate glimpses of the future, sign me up.
Heal/Mass Heal/Power Word Heal: Fix up any health problem I come across, short of death. I choose not to bring back the dead.
Teleport: Traffic is for chumps
Fabricate: Instantly make whatever I know how to. Good thing to spend my time and money on.
Telepathy: Communication is never a problem again

The rest get progressively more for entertainment than quality of life. Things like summoning things for interesting company, control weather because it can be inconvenient, sending because sometimes I forget my phone, comprehend languages to read stuff, guards and wards just in case someone gets the bright idea to break into my home, fly/feather fall so I can be adventurous and not worry about falling to my death, clone as a plan B me, time stop for when I need a minute to think, etc.

Tetrasodium
2017-04-18, 08:58 PM
Mending: I can fix & restore any car, broken appliance, plumbing issue, & more.
Prestidigitation: Go into a junk yard & leave with a few bugs in scrap & commence posting rare mint condition parts from old classic cars & such,,, that says nothing about all the ease in cleaning stuff.
Mage hand: all the lazy reasons already stated
Thorn whip: Trimming trees & dragging the branches away has never been so easy. Plus anything within 30 feet that you might want to effortlessly drag 5' closer
Druidcraft: along with the other stuff, druidcraft allows you to " You instantly make a flower blossom , a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom." The Saffron Crocus is all of those things & saffron is significantly more expensive than gold by weight.
Druidcraft: Got a light? yea.. also great for self defense.

Transport Via plants: Mister Musk, you don't need to build a rocket capable of getting people to mars, just build something that will transport & safely land/maintain a large tree. For the right price, I can open a doorway between this huge oak tree & the large tree you grow on mars that allows instant transport from one side to the other & greatly speed up your plans. Why yes, I can open a doorway to one you ship to a nearby star system.
Reincarnate: based on the 50gp=1 pound gold trade good, the required components would be a bit under 19,000$USD & anything else is pure profit. People would line up to come back & the random race even adds a very worthy perk for some.
Lesser Restoration: Hello insurance companies, I'd be happy to cure cancer & other expensive to treat diseases for a fraction of the treatment cost. Granted it's going to be a fraction of what I make off transporting things to mars & reincarnating people, but why not.
Shape change: The novelty of flying to the mars portal tree as a bird would be fun.
Contingency: If I should die, reincarnate me.
Comprehend Languages: Why yes, I can indeed read/watch things in any language
Wind walk: Quickly travel at a speed of about 1mph while avoiding rain & such
Move earth: see wall of stone
Wall of stone:Not only can I create a submartian tunnel for your first mars city, I can line it with thick protective stone walls.
12 spells
is
a lot

DragonSorcererX
2017-04-18, 09:03 PM
Spells
Wish: Because of unlimited money!
Storm of Vengeance: Because of the power!
True Ressurection: I can bring anyone from 200 ago back, cool!
Meteor Swarm: Same as Storm of Vengeance.
Demiplane: I can have my own room, and no one will be able to bother me? YEEEAAH!
Clone: I can be immortal, pretty as an elven princess and hung as a red dragon, count me in!
Control Weather: **** you climate!
Plane Shift: I'm just going there talk to my buddy JC...
Geas: Because a man needs to have a world under his foot.
Greater Restoration: Who knows...
True Polymorph: My waifu is real!
Simulacrum: Now, you are my waifu!

Cantrips (Do I need to explain these?):
Eldritch Blast
Mending
Shillelagh
Guidance
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation

Slipperychicken
2017-04-18, 10:04 PM
I'll be happy with just mage hand or unseen servant.

Everything else will probably just get me into more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather live quietly and conveniently.

The-0-Endless
2017-04-18, 11:01 PM
cantrips

Thaumaturgy
I can be a god!

Minor illusion
Help being a god!

Mold earth
I'm an earthbender!

eldritch blast
Awesome blast powers.

Spare the dying
Even more god-simulation!

Vicious mockery
Any hostile social situation can be shut down fast.

Spells

Fly

wish

shapechange

clone

control weather

resurrection

conjure minor elementals

tongues

hold person

planar binding

enthrall

spirit guardians

Easy god emulation! Then through the belief to divinity system (real via wish) real godhood! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sigreid
2017-04-18, 11:14 PM
Cantrips:

1. Mending
2. Prestidigitation because even in game I consider these two my go to
3. Guidance because it's like having luck on tap
4. Mage Hand
5. Minor Illusion
6. EB for defense and because the first 4 would be the ones I really want

Spells:

1. Wish because it covers nearly everything you aren't going to take directly
2. Meteor Storm because when others learn I have powers they need to have a reason to leave me the #$@$ alone
3. Unseen Servant because I hate doing chores
4. Plane shift for when you just got to get away
5. Forbiddance because stay off my lawn you rotten kids
6. Private Sanctum because they are always watching
7. Greater Restoration because that's almost literally money on demand if you need it
8. Clone so I could effectively stay 25-35 years old
9. Animate Object because that could be tonnes of fun
10. Shield because you never no when some idiot is going to show up wanting to bust a cap in some other idiot. Besides, some religious wacko would come for me sooner or later.
11. True Polymorph because the possibilities are endless
12. Create Food & Water to keep me fat and happy wherever I am

LeonBH
2017-04-19, 12:06 AM
Spells
1. Wish. Let's wait for the government to find out I have the ability to grant wishes.
2. Time Stop. And then let's wait for them to find out I can stop time, literally.
3. Teleportation. And then let's see what they do when I can go anywhere I want, whenever I want.
4. Major Image. I'll need this to protect myself from the government.
5. Phantasmal Force. Ditto, need to protect myself.
6. Hallucinatory Terrain. Need to hide my hiding place.
7. Disguise Self. Need to hide my identity.
8. Pass Without Trace. Need this to just plain hide.
9. Detect Thoughts. Need this to know if the person I'm talking to is a government agent or not.
10. Comprehend Languages. Need this to navigate anywhere and understand anyone, since I'm on the run.
11. Longstrider. Need this to actually run.
12. Alarm. Need this so I can sleep at ease.

Cantrips - This is stuff that will help me survive
1. Friends. When you need a Friend on the spot.
2. Message. When you have to talk with someone but you can't.
3. Prestidigitation. Mainly so I can skip bathing.
4. Sword Burst. Plus points for Intimidation. Let's see anyone try to get near me when I summon freaking swords in the air.
5. Ray of Frost. For escape.
6. Green Flame Blade. For when battle is inevitable.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-19, 01:29 AM
Spells
Teleport- Best spell ever! I could get everywhere with only a snap of the fingers!
Find Familiar- I'd love to have a sentient pet cat with whom I could communicate telepathically.
Fabricate- Pretty obvious
Wall of Force- I don't know exactly what I'd use this for, but I love it.
Goodberry- Free food!
Locate Object- I'm always losing stuff.
Heal- Be the best doctor ever
Command- Useful for petty revenge and embarrassing people. I wouldn't want to be tempted by a more powerful version like Geas or Suggestion though, as I'm afraid I'd abuse it greatly.
Augury- who wouldn't want some guidance on what's a good idea and what's a bad one?
Polymorph- Who doesn't want to be able to turn into an animal while retaining personality? I could use this to get into small spaces, travel, and more.
Enhance ability- I'm not particularly charismatic or strong, so being able to boost those traits when I need them would be awesome
Zone of Truth- use it on politicians before political debates or speeches

Cantrips:
Prestidigitation, of course.
Light would be great in power outages or travelling at night.
Vicious Mockery for if I ever get mugged/need a witty retort to some verbal abuse/really want to lay into someone. It requires no somatic component, so it wouldn't even be obvious that I was using magic.
Who could say no to Mending?
Guidance makes everything better.
Minor Illusion would probably be enough to sneak around/do any sort of subterfuge I'd reasonably want to pull off if I plan it out well.

Sirdar
2017-04-19, 02:37 AM
Come on, where are the creepy necromancers? When will someone step forward and put Finger of Death on their spell list? :smallamused:

Solunaris
2017-04-19, 05:59 AM
Twelve spells!? And six cantrips? Good ser, that is far too many. For the sake of interest I'll exclude Wish because duh everyone wants Wish. I'll also be limiting myself to Wizard Spells and assume I have the spell slots of a 20th level Wizard.

Cantrips:
1: Prestidigitation - Need I say anything?
2: Mending - Self explanatory.
3: Minor Illusion - This is the most broken Cantrip in the game in the hands of a creative player; obviously I need it.
4: Dancing Lights - This is better than light, and I can't see in the Dark. Also, mood lighting
5: Mage Hand - Telepathy is cool, and this is close enough
6: Shocking Grasp - The only combat spell I'll ever pick up, and it's strong enough to shock anyone to death. Plus, it looks cool as all hell.

Spells:
1: Arcane Lock - My first pick, and possibly the most important pick. This spells makes a hard lock impossible, and removes the need for a key
2: Tongues - No matter where I go in life, I'll always be fluent in the local tongue. This also doubles as a great source of income.
3: Featherfall - When you need it, you really need it.
4: Suggestion - For when I need something my natural charms can't give me
5: Fabricate - Now we're getting to the good stuff. I'm already a craftsman, and this would just majorly increase my output.
6: Polymorph - Sometimes you just wanna run in the wild. This allows for that, and so much more.
7: Stone Shape - The second spell needed to make my perfect home
8: Wall of Stone - With this, Fabricate and Stone Shape I can build basically whatever I need, including a castle
9: Mordakin's Magnificent Mansion - Just because I have an actual castle doesn't mean I don't want the ultimate home, servants included.
10: Demi-Plane - Part one of the Immortality Project
11: Clone - Part two of the Immortality Project
12: True Polymorph - Seems redundant right? But this is essential to changing my appearance every time I die and need a new identity.

Ziegander
2017-04-19, 06:00 AM
Assuming I'm no higher than a 4th level character, I'll bite, up to 4 cantrips and 7 spells known.

CANTRIPS
Firebolt, Green-Flame Blade, Light, and Mage Hand.

SPELLS
Alter Self, Augury, Comprehend Languages, Feather Fall, Goodberry, Jump, and Magic Weapon.

Lombra
2017-04-19, 06:46 AM
If only mending worked with wrong life choices... it would be the only spell I need.

nickl_2000
2017-04-19, 07:24 AM
Cantrips:
Friends - Take advantage of people you will never see or interact with again
Guidance - Drop one of those on a friend before a big test or when they are talking up someone in a bar.
Mage Hand - To many useful purposes not to get it
Prestidigitation - Like others have said, cleaning clothes
Mending - Another job if I need it as a tailor
Mold Earth - Never have to use a shovel again

Other Spells:
Sleep - Get your out of awkward situations, make your boss/nasty co-worker get fired, cure insomnia. All kinds of good usage
Unseen Servant - Because who doesn't want a lackey to do stuff for you.
Invisibility - Who doesn't want to be able to turn invisible - Superpowers!
Fly - Again - Superpowers!
Cure Wounds - Because I would like to do some good in the world
Plant Growth - Solve world hunger in a single season and make lots and lots of money doing it
True Polymorph - Want to be a T-Rex? You're a T-Rex!
Glibness - I can now run for political office!
Wish - Others have said it
Darkvision - See in the dark, lots of good uses
Find Familiar - I get a little animal friend that I can use for all kinds of things
Suggestion - The social users are amazing.

Sigreid
2017-04-19, 07:50 AM
Come on, where are the creepy necromancers? When will someone step forward and put Finger of Death on their spell list? :smallamused:

I believe that's because most people don't want to be on record as the start of the zombie apocalypse. Not to mention that at least I would prefer not to kill anyone.

Aett_Thorn
2017-04-19, 08:13 AM
Cantrips (most of these have been covered above):
Eldritch Blast + Sword Burst for offense/defense
Mending, as others have said
Prestidigitation
Light
Mage Hand

Spells:
Tongues: I can speak to/understand anyone that isn't deaf

Suggestion: Get out of tickets, get into concerts for free, get some free beers, etc.

Confusion: Great for causing mass chaos if you ever need to escape

Water Breathing: Scuba dive without needing a certification!

Fly: Because everyone wants to be able to fly around

Alter Self: Just in case you need to commit a crime and don't want to get caught

Teleport: Commute? What commute!?

Unseen Servant: make chores a breeze! (see what I did there?)

Conjure Animals: Because sometimes you need a little backup

Logosloki
2017-04-19, 08:42 AM
I am only using the PHB here, there are other spells and cantrips I would probably like (there are too many just from the PHB alone!).

Cantrips
Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy and Druidcraft. This trio gives so many minor options to increase comfort, save money and perform neat party tricks. None of these require material components and furthermore Thaumaturgy doesn't even require somatic components.

Mage hand, Mending and Light. This next set provides useful tools for day to day life. This set does require some material components. Thankfully they aren't used up by the spell and are relatively easy to get and easy to explain away if you wished to keep the world unknowing.

Spells
This category was even harder to come up with since there are so many good spells. What I am going to focus on is ritual spells (since I am declaring that I am a ritual caster).
Unseen Servant. I have no excuses.
Goodberry, Create or Destroy Water, Purify Food and Drink. Food is love; food is life.
Water Breathing, Fly and Teleport. I love travel options.
Mordekainen's Private Sanctum, Hallow. Private sanctum might seem like a weird option but with it comes the power of making a temporary and with daily application for a year, a permanent anti-divination bolthole. Hallow is a very wonderful and unique spell that can bestowed with several useful abilities - like tongues.
Fabricate. The applications in a modern world with this are truly stunning.
Speak with Dead, Sequester. Speak with Dead is an amazing spell that only requires a yapping jaw and that the target not be undead. Combine with Hallow for the ability to grant a common language and the fact that speak with dead has no limit on how old the dead in question are and you will have access to first person accounts of the life in the past...if you can sweet talk the dead into giving up their secrets. Sequester is such a fun spell that there was no way I would pass it up.

RossN
2017-04-19, 09:11 AM
I'm surprised the best real life aspect of Prestidigitation hasn't come up - flavouring.

Vegetarian? Well now you can eat as much delicious bacon tasting (and with a second casting bacon smelling) food as you like without a trace of guilt.

Dieting? Rice cakes and celery can be turned into calorie free chocolate or lobster with a couple of words and snap of your fingers.

Cooking dinner for a romantic partner? Well, any meal you cook and any drink you serve might have come straight from a top chef.

RumoCrytuf
2017-04-19, 09:26 AM
Spells.
1. Wish, for obvious reasons.
2. Simulacrum, for also obvious reasons.
3. Bless, for insurance purposes
4. Armor of Agathys, further insurance.
5. Comprehend Languages, for utility
6. Goodberry, so I'd never have to buy food.
7. Alarm, for when people come looking.
8. Dimension Door, for practicality (you wouldn't believe how often I get locked out of my room)
9. Death Ward, for obvious reasons
10. Resurrection, (forgive me greed) to make my fortune.
11. Contingency, see below
12. Raise Dead.

Cantrips

1. Druidcraft, because SO MUCH USE
2. Prestidigitation, BECAUSE SO MUCH USE
3. Friends, because MOAR USE
4. Mage Hand, so I don't have to get up to grab a drink
5. Minor illusion, For magic tricks and whatnot
6. Spare the Dying, as another contingency.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-19, 09:40 AM
I'm surprised the best real life aspect of Prestidigitation hasn't come up - flavouring.

Vegetarian? Well now you can eat as much delicious bacon tasting (and with a second casting bacon smelling) food as you like without a trace of guilt.

Dieting? Rice cakes and celery can be turned into calorie free chocolate or lobster with a couple of words and snap of your fingers.

Cooking dinner for a romantic partner? Well, any meal you cook and any drink you serve might have come straight from a top chef.

I assumed everyone had that in mind when they picked it. I certainly did, although I didn't say as much.

LeonBH
2017-04-19, 10:59 AM

Here's a question. Would people be healthier if they could Prestidigitate celery to taste like bacon, or would they overeat that stuff?

Niladam
2017-04-19, 12:18 PM
Cantrips:

1. Fire Bolt - balsting is always fun!
2. Guidance - always have an edge.
3. Eldritch Blast - more blasting, less fire.
4. Mage Hand - so many uses.
5. Mending - never have anything broken, ever.
6. Prestidigitation - be a blast at parties; food always warm and flavorful; can wear white clothes on a rainy day.

Spells: really tough decisions were made here. Started with about 20 spells and had to cut down.

1. Alter Self - underwater breathing; magic claws/fists; impersonate anybody.
2. Detect Thoughts - golden in real life even when reading only surface thoughts.
3. Misty Step - panic escape any situation; walls and doors no longer exist.
4. Suggestion - these are not the droids you are looking for, also give me all your money, or your parking spot.
5. Fly - booyah!
6. Haste - because i really like the spell and slightly less flashy than other spells so more uses.
7. Tongues - travel anywhere.
8. Destructive Wave - a man has to protect himself.
9. Telekinesis - like mage hand but way better
10. Heal - never have any health issues, ever
11. Teleport - travel everywhere;
12. Foresight - always know when ****'s about to get down and not be there.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-19, 12:26 PM
Here's a question. Would people be healthier if they could Prestidigitate celery to taste like bacon, or would they overeat that stuff?

Most people need a bit of protein to feel full. But you could make very lean meat taste much fattier and vegetables to taste like they have been cooked in butter. Probably would confuse the senses less that way.

Asmotherion
2017-04-19, 01:26 PM

Why need zombies when you can have a TV station of your own... Seriously, Necromancy is sooo last centuary...

Socratov
2017-04-19, 01:48 PM
Mending would have saved me so much money spent on car repair and bike repair that could have been waived away with a 6 second gesture of my hand. So, this is a must have.

Now for my next it needs no introduction, but I will name it regardless: prestidigitation. Honestly. making stuff taste good is fun enough, but IRL I'm a total slob. Not because I like filth (prestidigitation would not help against that), but because I'm to efficiency minded to do anything about it. So yes a 6 second casting of prestidigitation to clean it all up would help me greatly.

And that's all I really need.

the illusion line of spells would be awesome, if only so I can use it for demonstration purposes and 3d design purposes (even if that would require an interface to interact with the illusion).

Unseen servant would be too friggin useful not to take.

Then so communication and learning could become easier: comprehend languages and tongues would make for excellent stuff.

I'd hazard against spells that would be creating stuff out of thin air it would likely crash the global market and have everyone end up poor.

Slipperychicken
2017-04-19, 03:40 PM
I'd hazard against spells that would be creating stuff out of thin air it would likely crash the global market and have everyone end up poor.

It depends on what it is, and how much you produce.

Besides, letting people save money on goods and services can actually lead to more prosperity since they get what they need and can spend elsewhere. That's what all this industrialization business has been about.

Maybe you can cast a wish spell to get people replacement jobs for the ones displaced by magic :smalltongue:

Potato_Priest
2017-04-19, 05:51 PM

I'd definitely overeat it. Bacon by itself has great flavor, but the texture isn't that good. Celery has great texture, but the flavor could use some work. By combining the two you have arrived at a much more desirable food.

Slipperychicken
2017-04-19, 06:09 PM

Maybe you could combine it with create food and water to achieve something like the replicator food in Star Trek?

Drackolus
2017-04-19, 06:36 PM
Well, I'm a total bleeding heart, soooooo, in order of preference, and assuming that it would be similar to real life in that I couldn't cast higher-level spells as much

Cantrips:
Spare the dying
Prestidigitation
Druidcraft
Mage Hand
Minor Illusion
Friends (just in case)
Spells:
Wish (I mean, cmon)
True Resurrection
Greater Restoration
Plant Growth
Clone
Regeneration
Lesser Restoration
Goodberry
Raise Dead
Calm Emotions
Cure Wounds
Teleportation Circle

arrowstorm
2017-04-19, 06:42 PM
All of my DM's thus far have had an interpretation of "loose earth" as "anything not paved" so for that reason and that I hate mulching, Mold Earth, everything else is unnecessary.

CaptAl
2017-04-19, 08:50 PM
Cantrips:

Prestidigitation is obviously great for obvious reasons.

Minor Illusion for when my words fail to describe.

Mage Hand for petting the dog when my hands are otherwise busy.

Guidance because everyone needs a little inspiration sometimes.

Mending because replacing glasses the cat pushes off the table is inconvenient.

Vicious Mockery because screw that guy and his punch.

Spells:

Mass Heal because no child deserves to deal with cancer and St. Jude's Children's Hospital would love me.

Wish to solve any problem that I can't figure out another way to fix.

Greater Invisibility so that the inevitable search to find me after I heal hundreds of people for free is largely fruitless.

Teleport to get the hell out of dodge once I am found.

Modify Memory to ensure I'm never found for long.

Enhance Ability because who doesn't want to be an über athlete/brain sometimes?

Locate Object because someone hid my focus. Again.

Darkvision to eliminate the need for light.

Haste to get more done faster.

Plant Growth to get food where it is needed when it is needed.

Misty Step because sometimes you just gotta bamf over there right now.

Foresight to ensure I'm always a step ahead.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-19, 09:00 PM
Modify Memory to ensure I'm never found for long.

Haste to get more done faster.

Haste only lasts for a minute, so it wouldn't be very good for any sort of long project.

Modify memory is one of the creepiest spells in the book, to me much scarier than most of the necromancy.

Spiritchaser
2017-04-19, 09:21 PM
To the OP: Is this a sociology project?

Squiddish
2017-04-19, 09:33 PM
Prestidigitation, mage hand, mending, guidance, produce flame (Light, heat, and attack rolled into one), thaumaturgy (Doors and shouting, all in one spell)

As for spells,
1. Fly: Mostly for fun
2. Unseen servant: No more chores
3. Mirage arcane: Seems fun, and useful.
4. Mass heal: Cure for cancer, yes please!
5. Clone: Immortality without all the inconvenience of needing an intact body. Cost will be a problem, maybe get wish for the express purpose of duplicating clone. Added benefit of weirding the hell out of anyone entering my basement.
6. Fabricate: make all the things. Could help pay for clone.
7. Melf's Minute Meteors: I've always liked this one.
8. Arcane Gate: Portal.
9. Time Stop: Because why not?
10. Phantom steed: New mode of transportation, a bit slow but still serviceable.
11. Telekinesis: I have no upper body strength
12. Locate object: Finally, I'll be able to find my phone, keys, shoes, watch, glasses...
I'd need to keep like forty spell foci lying around, though, because otherwise I'd lose my wand and be unable to cast locate object to find it.

Socratov
2017-04-19, 11:31 PM
It depends on what it is, and how much you produce.

Besides, letting people save money on goods and services can actually lead to more prosperity since they get what they need and can spend elsewhere. That's what all this industrialization business has been about.

Maybe you can cast a wish spell to get people replacement jobs for the ones displaced by magic :smalltongue:

Well, consider Create Food and Drink: boom goes the food industry.
In the case of Fabrication/Wall of [insert solid material here]: consider the stonework and metal working business dead.
Plant Growth: bye bye to the industry that supports agriculture...

Those industries house quite some jobs and would likely affect rural areas with unemployment. And we all know what that leads to...

Potato_Priest
2017-04-19, 11:32 PM
Well, consider Create Food and Drink: boom goes the food industry.
In the case of Fabrication/Wall of [insert solid material here]: consider the stonework and metal working business dead.
Plant Growth: bye bye to the industry that supports agriculture...

Those industries house quite some jobs and would likely affect rural areas with unemployment. And we all know what that leads to...

Teleport disposes of airlines pretty snappily.

Socratov
2017-04-19, 11:37 PM
Teleport disposes of airlines pretty snappily.

(un)fortunately they can pick up with teleportation portals (as casting the same portal for 365 times is expensive and few have that money), which is a lower level spellslot. Teleportation is a really high level spellslot and might not see as much use or would be used more sparingly.

Ajadea
2017-04-20, 02:15 AM
Cantrips; Definitely Prestidigitation and Mending for sheer day-to-day utility. Guidance, because a little flash of insight is always useful. Mage Hand, for reaching things on tall shelves. Ray of Frost for temperature control and self-defense. And Spare the Dying, because at-will stabilization would literally be a lifesaver in places like ERs.

Spells: I assume I can cast lower-level spells more often, so I will be focusing on those.
Alter Self, definitely. Just for the personal joy of being able to look like whatever I wanted. Take that, dysphoria!
Cure Wounds, Detect Poison and Disease, Lesser Restoration, and Regenerate because see Spare the Dying. I am the ultimate medic!
Unseen Servant, for a perfectly clean house and never having to fold my own laundry.
Find Familiar, because a telepathic pet cat sounds lovely.
Tongues makes communication that much easier.
Enhance Ability is just a generally useful boost to all sorts of things.
While Teleportation Circle seems useful, it's very expensive to set up, and Teleport has a chance of messing up. So I'll take Transport Via Plants and ask for a lot of photographs of trees.
Similarly, I prefer Levitate to Fly, because of the built in clause that I gently float to the ground when the duration expires instead of plummeting.
And I'll finish it up with Plane Shift, because wouldn't it be so cool to see what's really out there?

Tetrasodium
2017-04-20, 07:25 AM
(un)fortunately they can pick up with teleportation portals (as casting the same portal for 365 times is expensive and few have that money), which is a lower level spellslot. Teleportation is a really high level spellslot and might not see as much use or would be used more sparingly.

That's why I chose transport via plants. Teleport is you & up up 8 people & the object you can move is limited to a 10' cube & the destination must be known to you with some bothersome fuziness & potential for awful problems. Transport via plants is anything you can drive through a oak (https://www.google.com/search?q=oak+tree&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihw4nK_rLTAhWG4SYKHbWZDtIQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=613#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=huge+oak+tree)/banyan (https://www.google.com/search?q=banyan+tree&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO8s2e_rLTAhVB5iYKHbBbBegQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=613)/etc in the next minute & always comes out of the destination plant. the only limit on the destination plant is that I "have seen or touched" it at least once.
Teleport will let you drop some really interesting stuff sort of kinda near curiosity (https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/images/), transport via plants will let you drive an entire moon base out of a roughly Apollo lander sized object & fill just about any number of expandable modules (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Expandable_Activity_Module) on the ISS once Nsa/SpaceX/Roscosmos/Etc stuffs a christmas tree up on one for you to shove things through. Teleport might let you send a very small object off to somewhere near a [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars_and_brown_dwarfs"]"Nearby" star, but good luck detecting a signal back from it ever given the 10' cube limitation.... Transport via plants will let someone build a city in space around one after shipping a tree at a nice .2-.3c or so speed within a few years. Chernobyl exclusion zone makes it clear that radiation won't hurt the tree that much & you can keep adding fuel to the system with an automated system just by sending a new canister through every so often. If there is anything there to build on, great... if not, good thing you sent trees to a bunch of stars.

SharkForce
2017-04-20, 10:12 AM
a surprisingly large number of people seem to want attack spells for some reason. do you routinely get attacked or something? is there some particular reason a gun or a hired bodyguard (with access to spells like wish, you can get rich pretty easily, and frankly i trust a bodyguard's combat skill more than my own) would be insufficient?

Sigreid
2017-04-20, 10:28 AM
a surprisingly large number of people seem to want attack spells for some reason. do you routinely get attacked or something? is there some particular reason a gun or a hired bodyguard (with access to spells like wish, you can get rich pretty easily, and frankly i trust a bodyguard's combat skill more than my own) would be insufficient?

For me, the assumption was that my new magical powers would be unique. That would make me a target from both wack jobs and people who want to force me to use my powers at their command. It would be necessary to be able to demonstrate that you cannot be forced.

Socratov
2017-04-20, 10:59 AM
For me, the assumption was that my new magical powers would be unique. That would make me a target from both wack jobs and people who want to force me to use my powers at their command. It would be necessary to be able to demonstrate that you cannot be forced.

Huh, funny. I expected instead to have magic like everyone and thus pick the spells I would like not only myself to have, but others too without breaking things apart too much.

That's why I chose transport via plants. Teleport is you & up up 8 people & the object you can move is limited to a 10' cube & the destination must be known to you with some bothersome fuziness & potential for awful problems. Transport via plants is anything you can drive through a oak (https://www.google.com/search?q=oak+tree&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihw4nK_rLTAhWG4SYKHbWZDtIQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=613#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=huge+oak+tree)/banyan (https://www.google.com/search?q=banyan+tree&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO8s2e_rLTAhVB5iYKHbBbBegQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=613)/etc in the next minute & always comes out of the destination plant. the only limit on the destination plant is that I "have seen or touched" it at least once.
Teleport will let you drop some really interesting stuff sort of kinda near curiosity (https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/images/), transport via plants will let you drive an entire moon base out of a roughly Apollo lander sized object & fill just about any number of expandable modules (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_Expandable_Activity_Module) on the ISS once Nsa/SpaceX/Roscosmos/Etc stuffs a christmas tree up on one for you to shove things through. Teleport might let you send a very small object off to somewhere near a [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars_and_brown_dwarfs"]"Nearby" star, but good luck detecting a signal back from it ever given the 10' cube limitation.... Transport via plants will let someone build a city in space around one after shipping a tree at a nice .2-.3c or so speed within a few years. Chernobyl exclusion zone makes it clear that radiation won't hurt the tree that much & you can keep adding fuel to the system with an automated system just by sending a new canister through every so often. If there is anything there to build on, great... if not, good thing you sent trees to a bunch of stars.

Good thinking. Though to be honest, I like driving cars. It gives me a sense of adventure and freedom that is just grand, even if I could very wel drive through my country in about 3 hours form way up north to way down south.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-20, 06:13 PM

Yes, there are mundane self-defense alternatives, but there are also mundane wealth earning alternatives, food production alternatives, or transport alternatives. Just because they exist doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to have access to fabricate, create food and water, and mending.

Edit: Although let's face it, if you have teleport, you don't need a single other self defense mechanism.

SharkForce
2017-04-20, 08:08 PM
Yes, there are mundane self-defense alternatives, but there are also mundane wealth earning alternatives, food production alternatives, or transport alternatives. Just because they exist doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to have access to fabricate, create food and water, and mending.

Edit: Although let's face it, if you have teleport, you don't need a single other self defense mechanism.

there are massive differences in effectiveness between magical wealth earning, food production, and transport options. magical wealth earning can generate wealth much more quickly and easily (well, easily in terms of doing it after you've attained the magical power... attaining magical power is, of course, not necessarily easy). magical food production creates food from nothing. magical transportion is often instant.

in contrast, a gun is probably about as effective as a firebolt.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-20, 08:20 PM
in contrast, a gun is probably about as effective as a firebolt.

But a lot harder to conceal and easier to lose or not have on you at the time.

Joe the Rat
2017-04-21, 09:35 AM
Cantrips

Prestidigitation: I hate cleaning, and making yourself red can be messy.
Mage Hand: Telekinesis rocks.
Minor Illusion: Improve my visual memory, create maps from my head to trace down on paper; dynamic miniatures.
Frostbite: For when Prestidigitation doesn't get your beer cold enough. Also for self defense without leaving a mark (besides freezer burn).
Produce Flame: I've always wanted to be able to do this.
Guidance: Everybody needs a little help sometimes.

Spells

Feather Fall: Leading cause of tourist death in all the cool places.
Enhance Ability: Why would you not put this in your daily list?
Teleport: Commuting sucks
Fly: Like an eagle
Cure Wounds: First Aid
Greater Restoration: I have people to fix.
Comprehend Languages: Read more
Tongues: Speak More
Calm Emotions: I can cast this on myself, right?
Major Image: Even better tabletop.
Floating Disk: Make fewer trips.
Meteor Swarm: When you absolutely, positively have the urge to wreck something and make it look like an act of god.

JBPuffin
2017-04-21, 10:37 PM
Cantrips - Light, Mending, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Dancing Lights, Guidance

Other Spells - Cure wounds, dimension door, knock, true resurrection, contingency, silence, simulacrum, telepathy, true polymorph, comprehend languages, unseen servant, wish.