PDA

View Full Version : Demon Lord Aspects

Devcon1
2017-04-19, 03:16 AM
Hello all.

I am currently running an adventure for a party of 6 10th level characters, and the next major encounter I'm planning on unleashing upon them is a fight against 5 demon lord aspects: one of Zuggtmoy, one of Jubilex, one of Shublox (a homebrew demon lord of slime and famine), Quorgeth (for those who don't have the Tome of Beasts, he's a demon lord of worms and decay) and Yibyiru (a demon lord of slime, fungi, poison and corruption that's mother to all 4).

Rather than try to make a from-scratch homebrewed creature for all 5, I was planning on using (or slightly altering) different creatures to use as minor aspects of them. However, I'm not sure what to use. As such, I come to ask for your opinion. What creatures would be best used to represent them?

Unoriginal
2017-04-19, 03:29 AM
Why not take the Demon Lords' statblocks and diminish their stats accordingly?

Less HP, smaller stat scores, smaller proficiency bonus, less damages for their special powers, no lair action, etc.

Devcon1
2017-04-19, 03:38 AM
Why not take the Demon Lords' statblocks and diminish their stats accordingly?

Less HP, smaller stat scores, smaller proficiency bonus, less damages for their special powers, no lair action, etc.

I might just do that with Jubilex, Zuggtmoy and Quorgeth, but I lack a statblock for Yibyiru and Shublox (as they are homebrew), so I still need something for them.

Cespenar
2017-04-19, 03:40 AM
Many of them sound very similar to each other. A Vine Lord for Zuggtmoy, Corrupting Ooze for Jubilex/Shublox/Yibyiru, maybe a Purple Worm for Quorgeth (the CR is too high but they are very weak to magical attacks). I don't know how you can differ at least three ooze/slime themed aspects, though.

Devcon1
2017-04-19, 03:44 AM
Many of them sound very similar to each other. A Vine Lord for Zuggtmoy, Corrupting Ooze for Jubilex/Shublox/Yibyiru, maybe a Purple Worm for Quorgeth (the CR is too high but they are very weak to magical attacks). I don't know how you can differ at least three ooze/slime themed aspects, though.

Vine lord was my first choice for Zuggtmoy, I was just wondering if anyone else had other suggestions. Corrupting ooze works for Jubilex/Shublox, though I was hoping for a cross of slime and fungi for Yibyiru (weeping treant, perhaps?). As for Quorgeth, a purple worm might work, though I was also thinking of perhaps using an altered young/adult remorhaz, changing its fire damage to necrotic to symbolize Quorgeth's decay.

Socratov
2017-04-19, 12:21 PM
You know, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Why not have the aspects be sentient and sapient creatures that have been infected with, or accepted the power of such a demon lord?

Just take an NPC statblock and give one ability score to excel at (18 or 19, like the effects of a headband of intellect or something) and a signature move connected to the demon lord or his realm. (his portfolio if you would). Finally you add a signature defence (thus completing the innate power|defensive power|offensive power triad)

And let's call this a template: something to tack on to other creatures and adversaries while the party rises to end the demon lord.