PDA

View Full Version : Does Rich hate Belkar or something?

ChopSticks28
2007-07-29, 07:37 PM
This issue has been bugging me for quite a while, ever since I finished reading this comic the first time. The thing is that Belkar never gets a chance of being active or usefull in battles (Not small stuff like killing a kobold or two, I mean big battles.) Allow me to demonstrate:

For start, on a small scale, when the OOTSers and the Linear's were after the sigils, Belkar was left behind fighting Yikyik and wasn't actually in any battle for this whole story. (This might not be so serious, but read on, it fits.)

Later, when the OOTSers entered Xykon's throne room - their First big scale battle - Belkar was left behind, guarding V and Durkon. Sure, he killed a gob or two, but he sure didn't show his real potential. When he had the chance of being usefullnessly (real word? beats me) active, Durkon used thor's might and smushed all of the goblins, leaving none for Belkar.

Moving on - on the bandit camp, when the order fought the slutty sorcerress and her father - Belkar was hung, again, being incapable of doing anything usefull.

Later on, when they fought the dragon who guarded the starmetal, Belkar just stood there and did nothing. (Again, not so serious, and yet it fits.)

The most annoying and the time I started noticing it was when they fought Miko. Belkar had been neutralized just as the battle started by Miko's horse.

On the second battle with Miko, who was described heavy in details by Rich, Belkar was stunned twice and started bleeding in 2 rounds, and never got a chance to act.

Next part is when he got that Mark of Justice. I don't need to explain how that lessens his activity in battles, right?

Now, in the battle of Azure City, he did kill a nice bunch of hobgoblins. But that's the only time he did kill a heavy amount of...creatures, and even that wasn't so usefull, considering the rest of the 3000 hobbos left.

Later on that battle, Belkar killed lots of hobgoblins with his skull, but not himself. He didn't act, the skull did.

And finaly, when Haley killed those 20 hobgoblins. This is one of the weirdest parts: Belkar is WAY stronger than haley, I mean, she stated that she sucks in battle. Why did he run and she killed all of the goblins? why didn't he help her?? He was 2 meters away! And it was off ciry limits!! AND HE LIKES KILLING STUFF! What the hell?

In all of those battles I just stated, there's absolutely no doubt the outcome would have been different if Belkar was active.

Do you see the pattern? Belkar had never actually showed his real power, and from where I see it, it's because Rich doesn't ALLOW him to. (I know I know, it's just a character...whatever.) Why not? I don't get it. I think it's because allowing Belkar in those battles will completely turn the tide on the OOTS favor, and Rich usually wants them to lose for the comedy or story or whatever. But still, if that's the reason, then why did he make Belkar so strong in the firstplace?

Cubey
2007-07-29, 08:05 PM
For start, on a small scale, when the OOTSers and the Linear's were after the sigils, Belkar was left behind fighting Yikyik and wasn't actually in any battle for this whole story. (This might not be so serious, but read on, it fits.)
Except that EVERYONE ELSE was also doing nothing but fighting their "bizzarro twin", so Belkar did as much fighting as anything else. He also had least problems. Oh, and he saved Elan from certain death by Curing his Wounds.

Later, when the OOTSers entered Xykon's throne room - their First big scale battle - Belkar was left behind, guarding V and Durkon. Sure, he killed a gob or two, but he sure didn't show his real potential. When he had the chance of being usefullnessly (real word? beats me) active, Durkon used thor's might and smushed all of the goblins, leaving none for Belkar.
He killed a goblin spellcaster, who could've turned the tide of battle to Xykon's favour. As for Durkon killing all the gobbos - that's because Clerics are powerful by nature, they reek of cheese even when you do not actively try to powergame them.

Moving on - on the bandit camp, when the order fought the slutty sorcerress and her father - Belkar was hung, again, being incapable of doing anything usefull.

Come on, Tetherball Special wasn't useful?:smallbiggrin:

Later on, when they fought the dragon who guarded the starmetal, Belkar just stood there and did nothing. (Again, not so serious, and yet it fits.)

That's because that fight ended before it started - V used Suggestion on the dragon before anything serious happened.

The most annoying and the time I started noticing it was when they fought Miko. Belkar had been neutralized just as the battle started by Miko's horse.

On the second battle with Miko, who was described heavy in details by Rich, Belkar was stunned twice and started bleeding in 2 rounds, and never got a chance to act.
Miko battles were very railroaded - the OOTS was supposed to lose, so not only Belkar didn't have a chance to showoff, no one did.

Next part is when he got that Mark of Justice. I don't need to explain how that lessens his activity in battles, right?

Now, in the battle of Azure City, he did kill a nice bunch of hobgoblins. But that's the only time he did kill a heavy amount of...creatures, and even that wasn't so usefull, considering the rest of the 3000 hobbos left.
Come on! Killing the rogue traitor and the subsequent Sexy Shoeless God of War is one of the most kickass battle scenes in OOTS! Of course it wasn't THAT useful, but show me how others OOTSers did useful things at that stage of the battle. Also, no other OOTSer ever killed so many opponents in one fight. There is simply NO comparison.

Later on that battle, Belkar killed lots of hobgoblins with his skull, but not himself. He didn't act, the skull did.
He was smart enough to... "acquire" Skullie, so Skullie-affected death toll counts towards his limit.

And finaly, when Haley killed those 20 hobgoblins. This is one of the weirdest parts: Belkar is WAY stronger than haley, I mean, she stated that she sucks in battle. Why did he run and she killed all of the goblins? why didn't he help her?? He was 2 meters away! And it was off ciry limits!! AND HE LIKES KILLING STUFF! What the hell?
I don't know. The floor was blue-ish, so it looked like it was INSIDE the city. Still, Belkar had his god-of-war scene too, it was time for Haley to be in the spotlight thist time.

In all of those battles I just stated, there's absolutely no doubt the outcome would have been different if Belkar was active.
I disagree. All the fights that OOTS lost with Belkar being incapacitated one way or another, they would have lost anyway. The challenge gap was simply too big.

Do you see the pattern? Belkar had never actually showed his real power, and from where I see it, it's because Rich doesn't ALLOW him to. (I know I know, it's just a character...whatever.) Why not? I don't get it. I think it's because allowing Belkar in those battles will completely turn the tide on the OOTS favor, and Rich usually wants them to lose for the comedy or story or whatever. But still, if that's the reason, then why did he make Belkar so strong in the firstplace?
Belkar isn't some kind of an unstoppable juggernaut. He's weaker than Miko, for example - speaking of which, his fight with Miko one-on-one was quite dramatic and he used his ingenuity to try to tip the scales to his side, and you didn't even mention that one.
Belkar is stronger than the other OOTS members, even though he has a bad build (probably because everyone in OOTS has a bad build!). I agree that making Belkar run loose and kill everyone wouldn't be funny - just like it wouldn't be funny to make 8-Bit Theater's Black Mage kill almost everyone with Hadoken and then try to "make out" with an enslaved/ensorcelled White Mage. But your question on why Belkar was made so strong then has a wrong base - he isn't as strong and powerful as his fans want him to be. He is exactly as strong as it was shown in the comic, during his peak moments: one-shooting an Annis Hag, fighting with Miko (even though she is of a much higher level) or taking on a real horde of hobgoblins at once.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-29, 08:29 PM
I actually think Rich likes Belkar more than a lot of the others. Belkar gets most of the best lines.

Tirian
2007-07-29, 08:37 PM
Come on! Killing the rogue traitor and the subsequent Sexy Shoeless God of War is one of the most kickass battle scenes in OOTS! Of course it wasn't THAT useful, but show me how others OOTSers did useful things at that stage of the battle. Also, no other OOTSer ever killed so many opponents in one fight.

To be fair, Vaarsuvius was principally responsible for a pile of goblin corpses so large that the Death Knight was able to use it as a ramp to jump over the city wall. I sense that Belkar ultimately only gathered a fraction of that body count even with Skullsy.

As far as the OP's point goes: No, in the only interview that I've seen with Rich he has got a mad crush on Belkar and everything that he stands for. Your list has left out quite a few awesomely useful things that Belkar has done, like killing an evil cleric in #11 or soloing a Hydra in #325-6, and I think it needlessly minimizes the importance of the tasks that he you did mention, like protecting the spellcasters in Dorukan's dungeon throne room or killing Yikyik and Yokyok.

PaladinFreak
2007-07-29, 08:37 PM
I would probably argue that Rich likes him as much or more than most of the other characters. He has probably caused more laughs per appearance that any other character, excepting perhaps Elan.

sealemon
2007-07-29, 08:38 PM
My theory is that Rich understands comedy. One of the classic examples of a comic character is one who SHOULD be a total ninja, but for various screwball reasons never really gets to kick butt like he should. (*)The comedy, of course, is that killing is all that Belkar is GOOD at, so seeing him get denied his ability to truly dominate battles is funny. It's also Belkar's main source of character conflict.

That said, Belkar gets most of the best lines, steals practically every scene he's in, and has some of the coolest fight scenes. For example, you forgot to mention his one on one with the goblin ninja, where he caught his kick then chopped off his leg. With a dagger. Pretty hardcore to me. Of course the punchline to that fight was that there was no one to see him own.

He a comic fall guy. I'm sure Rich likes him just fine.

*Plz reference Jane, of Firefly.

yoshi927
2007-07-29, 08:43 PM
Hobgoblin general: Between the forces on the wall and rumors of a tiny fire-breathing avatar of death, our troops are being slaughtered.

(bolded and italiced for emphasis)

explanetpluto
2007-07-29, 08:47 PM
Such is the life of a secondary combatant.

Demented
2007-07-29, 09:16 PM
I disagree. All the fights that OOTS lost with Belkar being incapacitated one way or another, they would have lost anyway. The challenge gap was simply too big.

Belkar isn't some kind of an unstoppable juggernaut. He's weaker than Miko, for example - speaking of which, his fight with Miko one-on-one was quite dramatic and he used his ingenuity to try to tip the scales to his side, and you didn't even mention that one.

Actually, Belkar IS as strong as he seems. (And Roy should be even stronger.)
Which is why it's ultimately so necessary to keep him out of the fights whenever possible.

AngelicOne001
2007-07-29, 09:29 PM

He was smart enough to... "acquire" Skullie, so Skullie-affected death toll counts towards his limit.

And remember. Belkar's mark of justice kept him from killing anything inside a city or town, so it is a good thing Rich had him take that skull, cause then he could be all badass with it and still be able to kill something but not activate the mark.

Oxymoron
2007-07-29, 09:33 PM
Belkar never gets to kill anyone you say? He helped kill a lot of goblins, ogres, undead and lizardmen in the dungeon of Dorukan, not to mention singlehandely killing two goblin clerics. He killed Yikyik, who unlike a normal kobold, had rangerlevels and was probably as strong as Belkar (or at least a challenge). In town he killed 3 barbarians, he killed the Annis hag singlehandely, and he helped Miko kill the ogres who captured the dirt farmer. He killed Shojos guard, he stood his ground against Miko, he cleverly hired adventures to kill Yokyok for him and he totally slew A LOT OF HOBGOBLINS and some undead during the Azure battle.

And remember, he intimidated Skullsy to kill all those hobgoblins with the fireballs, so he did act. Skullsy would never turn against his own forces if Belkar didn`t threaten him.

So I don`t agree with you that Belkar never gets to do battle. Yes, Durkon killed the most goblins when he cast Thor`s might, but remember they faced A LOT of opponents, and most of them we`re killed off-panel. V was paralyced, Elan was tumbling towards the gate, Haley showed up late and tried to stop Elan, so basicly Roy, Durkon AND Belkar killed most of the enemies. Agreed, Belkar didn`t get to do much fighting against the bandits, he basicly just hung around :D

But anyway, Belkar has done a lot of fighting.

Aquillion
2007-07-29, 09:50 PM
Also, don't forget that Belkar's build is, by any measure... suboptimal. The whole OOTS doesn't really optimize, of course, but his is almost aggressively, one-level-in-every-class levels of unoptimization. He ignores his key class features (no spellcasting, no animal companion) in a class that's already generally underpowered. He has no ranks in survival, and, apparently, four ranks in Profession: Gourmet Cook.

(He has been shown using potions and such more than the rest of the OOTS, which is possibly a nod to this... it's in-character for him to use most of his wealth on items for short-term killing.)

Chronos
2007-07-29, 09:50 PM
Hobgoblin general: Between the forces on the wall and rumors of a tiny fire-breathing avatar of death, our troops are being slaughtered.Got a link for that one? I somehow missed that line the first time through.

Porthos
2007-07-29, 10:30 PM
Got a link for that one? I somehow missed that line the first time through.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html

Third Panel, Second Word Balloon. :smallsmile:

Dr'uun Unnh
2007-07-29, 10:32 PM
Got a link for that one? I somehow missed that line the first time through.
It's in strip #451 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html)

edit: ninja'd... by someone with a ninja av. :P

krai
2007-07-29, 10:46 PM
How could he even mildly dislike him he would be the most fun to write lines for.

Ampersand
2007-07-29, 11:30 PM
Given the sheer amount of things that Belkar gets away with and the way the universe seems to conspire to let him avoid punishment no matter how evil or vile his actions are, I'd say the Giant likes Belkar quite a bit.

Demented
2007-07-29, 11:43 PM
Let's not walk down that road...
No, I changed my mind. Let's.

His evil tally so far, as the universe has allowed him to accomplish (not accurate at all):
-Conspiring to abuse Roy.
-Abusing Roy.
-Conspiring to abuse Roy (again).
-Embarassing Roy.
-Killing an Azure city guard.
-Desecrating a corpse. (?)
-Flinging buffalo wings at a ninja. (EVIL! EEEEVVILLL!!!)
-Conspiring to murder a Kobold.
-Conspiring to abuse Roy (so I don't forget).
-Wearing a pimp hat. (Very evil.)
-Liking Shojo. (Debateable.)
-Abuse and exploitation of a living... dead thing.
-...I'm drawing blanks already. Come up with s'more. Belkar needs street cred!

the_tick_rules
2007-07-29, 11:56 PM
belkar is awesome. i think he's been very useful.

ChopSticks28
2007-07-30, 04:57 AM
Allright, I'm convinced. Rich loves Belkar. But I didn't describe myself well: what's bugging me is that Belkar was introduced as a "mean mean killing machine" who specializes in....killing stuff. And yet whenever there's an actual need of killing lots of stuff, he's entangled somehow. He is usefull sometimes, yes, but not as much as I'd think a crazy killer would be. And it's not like he's incompetent, we saw his power on the "sexy shoeless god of war" scene.

factotum
2007-07-30, 05:33 AM
We saw his power against a whole bunch of CR1 hobgoblins. Any one of the OotS could have killed hundreds of them without much effort.

beholder
2007-07-30, 05:54 AM
but noone else would have enjoyed it as much as belkar

TreesOfDeath
2007-07-30, 06:09 AM
Writers often make characthers they like suffer.
I'm sure the authour of 8 bit thaertre likes Black Mage, and I'm Scott Adams likes Dilbert, but they go through hell

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-30, 07:23 AM
Everyone is forgetting his near one hit kill of a hag in the forest.

Max_Sinister
2007-07-30, 07:39 AM
I'd say in many cases it's Roy who keeps him under control - for good reasons. He can do as much as an evil char in a mostly good party can do.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-30, 09:38 AM
large block of text, describing my non-pwning, awesome, barbarian.
Listen, its not so bad. i make pumped barbarians all the time and they never get a chance to really shine, i spent one adventure getting my arm crushed in a wall (which was poisoned and reduced my con to 4) restoring my arm and con with a magic gem (that turned my arm into crystal.) being turned to small size, and then being turned into stone (at least i didnt get shattered, our bard did.) and then after everyone else stopped fighting i was restored. then our rogue searched a treasure chest for traps and left one in, but didnt tell us about it. naturally i run up and smash the top in. THen i get stuck in a forcecage, and sit and watch everyone divide up the treasure, but i got a belt of giant strength +6 from it (which was worth 11000 gp more than what everyone else got. - however, with a 20000 gp permanent enlarge person, i would have got +4 neways.) Next adventure. WE face off against a legendary tiger, so guess who gets the spotlight! thats right me! our spellcasters were falling, so it fell to my and my buddy the huge dwarven defender to whale on it...i learned my lesson from that fight (IF YOU HAVE +14 TO STRENGTH AND HIT TWICE PER ROUND, REMEMBER TO ADD YOUR STRENGTH MODIFIER TO DAMAGE!)...*sigh*, after that every fight i got into involved something with a grapple check better than mine.
which is pretty suprising for cr 13 creatures to consistently have more than +40 to grapple.

neways my point is, losing the spotlight is harsh, but sometimes it has to be done...(in all of the above battles, i wouldve dominated and pwned if it hadn't been for those mishaps.)

NerfTW
2007-07-30, 01:38 PM
If Rich didn't like Belkar, he'd just, ya know, write him out of the strip.

Belkar has an inferiority complex being so small. It wouldn't be as funny if his shortness didn't cause him issues (like with Miko's horse) from time to time.

If you read his intro in OoPC's, he is the typical "I'm the player, I don't have to face consequences" character. Therefore, it's funny to put him in situations that stifle his ability to kill, like with the Mark of Justice.

Tundar
2007-07-30, 01:50 PM
Of course Belkar is weaker in combat than Durkon - clerics rule!

But Belkar is my no 1 when it comes to jokes (no, not even Hale is better imo) and I like jokes much more than combat :)

Ariko
2007-07-30, 10:46 PM
Also, don't forget that Belkar's build is, by any measure... suboptimal. The whole OOTS doesn't really optimize, of course, but his is almost aggressively, one-level-in-every-class levels of unoptimization. He ignores his key class features (no spellcasting, no animal companion) in a class that's already generally underpowered. He has no ranks in survival, and, apparently, four ranks in Profession: Gourmet Cook.

(He has been shown using potions and such more than the rest of the OOTS, which is possibly a nod to this... it's in-character for him to use most of his wealth on items for short-term killing.)

:smallconfused: He has 2 classes and 13 levels. that doesnt exactly average out to a new class every level

Demented
2007-07-30, 11:32 PM
:smallconfused: He has 2 classes and 13 levels. that doesnt exactly average out to a new class every level

It's an expression.
One level in every class is infamously underpowered, since you only gain first-level abilities, which have a fraction of the power of late-level abilities. Though it's probably not all as bad as believed.

bluish_wolf
2007-07-31, 12:08 AM
It's an expression.
One level in every class is infamously underpowered, since you only gain first-level abilities, which have a fraction of the power of late-level abilities. Though it's probably not all as bad as believed.

You would also only have one attack per round and not a particularly high one at that.

PyritePyro
2007-07-31, 12:37 AM
You would also only have one attack per round and not a particularly high one at that.

Wrong. If you went with fighter 2, ranger 2, paladin 1, barbarian 1, you'd still get a second attack. +1 BAB is +1 BAB. You get second, third, and etc attacks based on BAB, not on class level. And if you take +1 BAB classes from outside books, you don't even have to use more than 1 level of any of the core +1 BAB classes.

Felixaar
2007-07-31, 05:06 AM
Firstly, Belkar was in city limits when Haley killed those hobgoblins. he mentions it himself, that he plans to strangle them with their intestines to make it suicide...

And its sort of a running joke, how much He loves to kill things but barely ever gets to.

Alfryd
2007-07-31, 05:45 AM
This issue has been bugging me for quite a while, ever since I finished reading this comic the first time. The thing is that Belkar never gets a chance of being active or usefull in battles (Not small stuff like killing a kobold or two, I mean big battles.) Allow me to demonstrate:
Belkar's a dual-wielding halfing barbarian-ranger with a wis penalty and no ranks in Spot. The only thing that's kept him more effective than Elan is Elan's unique talent for shooting himself and all allies within a mile's radius in the foot. Plus, he's a Bard.

Does Rich Burlewe actually like Belkar? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure the question even really makes sense: presumably Rich is happy enough with Belkar's character and role in the scheme of things that he continues to play an active part in the plot. I would tentatively doubt Rich considers Belkar the kind of guy you could kick back with a few brews and watch the game with, (if, in fact, downing brews and perusing such footage is his disposition.) At least, not if he values his kidneys.

Demented
2007-07-31, 03:17 PM
Belkar's a dual-wielding halfing barbarian-ranger with a wis penalty and no ranks in Spot.

Hey, the Barbarian part isn't so bad... All he's missing out on (for now) are spells he can't use and the ability to hide in natural terrain.

Roderick_BR
2007-07-31, 03:39 PM
I agree that Belkar gets the best lines and scenes. Most times he can't act, almost no one else can act at all.

Hushdawg
2007-07-31, 05:16 PM
what's bugging me is that Belkar was introduced as a "mean mean killing machine" who specializes in....killing stuff. And yet whenever there's an actual need of killing lots of stuff, he's entangled somehow.

There are a few things that I really enjoy and am rather adept at that I don't GET to do as often as I'd like.

Doesn't lessen the skill or enjoyment thereof.

zuluwarrior94
2007-07-31, 07:00 PM
I'm just sayin'... that you should just read the story and ENJOY IT, the way Rich surely means you to. Belkar is the funniest part of the story for me.

Narthon the Bold
2007-07-31, 07:48 PM
I think it is like the comic book JSA. At the start of every arc, Green Lantern, The Flash, Dr Fate, and The Thunderbolt get put out of commission. The weaker members of the team then have to deal with the threat.

If those characters were around, it would be impossible to threaten the team.

If Belkar were without limits, there would be no threat to the Order.

Tirian
2007-07-31, 07:51 PM
If Belkar were without limits, there would be no threat to the Order (other than Belkar).

Fixed this for you. :smalltongue:

Narthon the Bold
2007-07-31, 08:41 PM
Fixed this for you. :smalltongue:

Fix accepted.

Tremas
2007-07-31, 10:45 PM
Do you remember when....?

I can't believe no one's mentioned one of my favorite Belkar battle moments of glory. Belkar was so proud of it he celebrated with a "Who da halfling? I'm da halfling!". Remember? He jumped on the back of a three-headed chimera - while it was in flight - and slew it with his trusty daggers ("Gak! Gak! Gak!" - ring a bell? And for bonus credit, what was the name of that chimera?). It was a glorious Belkar killing!

AngelicOne001
2007-07-31, 10:55 PM
Do you remember when....?

I can't believe no one's mentioned one of my favorite Belkar battle moments of glory. Belkar was so proud of it he celebrated with a "Who da halfling? I'm da halfling!". Remember? He jumped on the back of a three-headed chimera - while it was in flight - and slew it with his trusty daggers ("Gak! Gak! Gak!" - ring a bell? And for bonus credit, what was the name of that chimera?). It was a glorious Belkar killing!

Ahem. ---> http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html

and just for giggles. :smallsmile: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html

dan_el_hombre
2007-08-01, 11:12 AM
snip

yes, he likes killing stuff. however, haley did not say she sucks in battle, just in melee combat. there is a difference. finally, they were inside the city, belkar said so in the comic before that one... something about strangling them with their own intestines, i believe.

RedfortheRogues
2007-08-04, 02:10 PM
Belkar is most likely the MOST liked character that Rich has created. I mean, why give him all the good lines (although elan has some better ones) if you don't like the character. Maybe Rich is trying to give the impression that he deosn't like Belkar, though for what reason I am unsure. Possible plot twist coming perhaps?:confused:

Traker
2007-08-04, 02:46 PM
you know that a lot of peapole like belkar (including me) and i thenk Rich mite to.:belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::be lkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belk ar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::be lkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belk ar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::be lkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belk ar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::be lkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belk ar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::be lkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belk ar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::be lkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belk ar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::be lkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belk ar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::be lkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belk ar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar ::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar::belkar:: belkar::belkar:

Elfanatic
2007-08-04, 05:10 PM
I have no choice but to agree with NerfTW on this one. Rich Burlew created Belkar; if he didn't like the halfling, what do you think would have happened? Belkar would probably be seen wearing a frilly, short pink ballerina outfit (and nothing else :smalleek: ) and rollerblading off a cliff in the very first panel of the very first comic!

Sure, he MAY like some OotS characters more or less than others, but to say that he hates some of them is preposterous. You shouldn't be so free to use the word 'hate'. It makes elephants out of flies.

In other words, I hate it when people use the word 'hate'.

DSCrankshaw
2007-08-04, 08:14 PM
It's an expression.
You do get pretty good saves, though. +2 to one or two every level. And an immense amount of first level spells. Sneak attack, rage, smite (although pretty weak, with only one level of paladin), an animal companion (likewise weak), bardic music, a familiar. I think you could do okay with skills, although that would be tricky.

Anyway... I get the impression that Belkar does have an alternate class feature that gives him scent rather than an animal companion.

the mysterian
2007-08-04, 09:14 PM
he had that huge fight with miko, and she was a few levels above her and he kinda won at first, and to be honest i think he intended to lose that >_>

Scarab83
2007-08-04, 09:17 PM
Yes, Rich hates Belkar. He just can't stand the character that he himself created. He's that damn creative.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-08-04, 11:33 PM
This issue has been bugging me for quite a while, ever since I finished reading this comic the first time. The thing is that Belkar never gets a chance of being active or usefull in battles (Not small stuff like killing a kobold or two, I mean big battles.)
[snip]

It's called irony. Belkar is a bloodthirsty s.o.b., yet so often he's unable to do all the killing he wants to.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-08-04, 11:49 PM
Roy wants to kill Xykon and lead with respect, but is always forced to fail in his battles and be beholden to others.

Haley wants to steal and make herself rich, but is always forced to engage in unprofitable, moral ventures.

Elan wants to spend time with his friends and have happy adventure, but is constantly forced into situations of loss and separation.

Durkon wants to return home, but can't.

Belkar wants to kill stuff, but is forced to protect people.

Ta-da: Dramatic writing.

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-08-05, 12:01 AM
Belkar IS one of Rich's favorite characters. He gets the Best on-liners!!!!

and he was in THE BEST fight of the whole sotry so far: when he fought Miko during the Trial!!!!!! ("I'm Stabby the Eight Dwarf!" - or sometghing)

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-08-05, 12:04 AM
And, it's ok to have Belkar "contolled" or "held" somehow by his certain "misfortune" because he's Evil. If he colud normally act as free as he'd like, he could get the OOTS in serious trouble (I mean, MORE serious trouble)

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-05, 12:41 AM
Roy wants to kill Xykon and lead with respect, but is always forced to fail in his battles and be beholden to others.

Haley wants to steal and make herself rich, but is always forced to engage in unprofitable, moral ventures.

Elan wants to spend time with his friends and have happy adventure, but is constantly forced into situations of loss and separation.

Durkon wants to return home, but can't.

Belkar wants to kill stuff, but is forced to protect people.

Ta-da: Dramatic writing.

You know, the only person who is consistently getting what they want is Vaarsuvius - Vaarsuvius is power-mad and as he rises in levels, he gets more powerful. And evidence shows that they've gone up quite a few levels since the first strip.

fractal
2007-08-05, 01:31 AM
You know, the only person who is consistently getting what they want is Vaarsuvius - Vaarsuvius is power-mad and as he rises in levels, he gets more powerful. And evidence shows that they've gone up quite a few levels since the first strip.
If all you want is levels, then yeah; surviving adventures is good enough for you.

That said, there's probably more to Vaarsuvius than that.

Orzel
2007-08-05, 01:32 AM

V always seeks power but gets humiliated (lizardy), overpowered (the drow and gnome), or finding himself relying on other (protect the wizard).

Belkar is an offensive warrior who can sneak who rarely gets to hide and kill at his leisure when others are around.

ChopSticks28
2007-08-05, 08:57 AM
You guys are taking that question in the title too seriously; It's not the point of this thread, It's merely a way of presenting the topic. I never had a doubt that Rich loves Belkar, the question is sarcastic.

Don't discuss the title, discuss the contenct of the thread.

Even though I kind of received my answer.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-08-06, 08:45 PM
V is a wizard, he is in many ways the least likable character in the OotS because he gets everything he wants (like a wizard) and often ends up sort of subtly backstabbing the party because he's arrogant about his own importance in the party (like many wizard players tend to do)

Brainfever
2007-08-08, 08:18 AM
he's arrogant about his own importance in the party (like many wizard players tend to do)
Though it's true that he/she's important. Much more important than Elan for example.

factotum
2007-08-08, 08:44 AM
Actually, we've just had what was probably Elan's best chance at being useful. If he'd been able to use his bardic music during the battle that would have made a huge difference--giving bonuses to hundreds, if not thousands, of troops within hearing range! Of course, he had to go and leave his lute in Cliffport...

Acyberexile
2007-08-08, 10:31 AM
To be fair, Vaarsuvius was principally responsible for a pile of goblin corpses so large that the Death Knight was able to use it as a ramp to jump over the city wall. I sense that Belkar ultimately only gathered a fraction of that body count even with Skullsy. As far as the OP's point goes: No, in the only interview that I've seen with Rich he has got a mad crush on Belkar and everything that he stands for. Your list has left out quite a few awesomely useful things that Belkar has done, like killing an evil cleric in #11 or soloing a Hydra in #325-6, and I think it needlessly minimizes the importance of the tasks that he you did mention, like protecting the spellcasters in Dorukan's dungeon throne room or killing Yikyik and Yokyok.

I agree, plus I want to add that he was self-confident enough to wake an enemy who was stunned, instead of slitting her throat just there. Rich hating Belkar is completely stupid, he gets the best lines and the coolest actions, always. "It is as true as the day I started adventuring, when in doubt, set something on fire." Anyone remember that? :D

Hagentai
2007-08-08, 04:56 PM
Well you can tell that belkar is clearly level 11. His bab while fighting showed he had 5 attacks (two handed) in one of the recent issues and he just recently picked up evasion.

I think he's the lowest level slub in the group outside of the bard. The writer's not nearly as good at hiding the levels as he think's he is.

roadkiller
2007-08-08, 05:33 PM
Dude, it's not that Rich is hiding their levels, it's that he hasn't set them. There are numerous conflicting reports for their levels.

factotum
2007-08-09, 01:26 AM
Well you can tell that belkar is clearly level 11. His bab while fighting showed he had 5 attacks (two handed) in one of the recent issues and he just recently picked up evasion.

No, he just recently realised he had evasion, which is not the same thing at all. (The last time Evasion would have had any effect would have been when they all got fireballed by the chimera back in the Dungeon of Dorukan, and I'm sure they've all gained several levels since then).

Pootle
2007-08-09, 09:08 AM
Ok i havent read all the posts in this thread (am at work so short on time) but....

Strip #42 - sweet ninja killing - Splorch

Bah I cant find the other strip I wanted to... I hate to think how many heads he cut off the Hydra... go go Halfling powah!

Milandros
2007-08-09, 09:10 AM
This all sounds a little like "I have my favourite character and he should be absolutely BADASS and he should pwnz0r everything else and he should be better than everyone else combined and everyone else should be there to watch him with awe and he should kill Hundreds of dragons in every fight because he should really be, like, 78th level..."

You can't seriously claim that Roy, for example, has had triumph after triumph, showcasing his (better than Belkar, probably) combat skills again and agin by dominating every fight. Or that Elan has been doing a masterpiece of bardic work, fascinating powerful opponents with his music and turning the tide of battle after battle with cunning spellcraft. Belkar has been no more or less successful than any of the others.

It would be a very unfunny, and not particularly dramatic strip if our heroes just triumphed over all adversaries thanks to the mighty Blekar and his team of coat-holders.

Porthos
2007-08-09, 11:47 AM
No, he just recently realised he had evasion, which is not the same thing at all. (The last time Evasion would have had any effect would have been when they all got fireballed by the chimera back in the Dungeon of Dorukan...)

Untrue. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0359.html) :smallsmile:

But he could have easily failed his save, and therefore not notice his ability. After all, it's not as if pays close attention to all of his class features. :smallbiggrin:

Demented
2007-08-09, 03:12 PM
There was also a fireball from a certain spoiled sorceress...