PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon floating Feat

BananaNomNom
2017-04-19, 05:01 PM
What feats for the chameleon's floating feat would be good?

Kaje
2017-04-19, 05:10 PM
What's the rest of your build?

BananaNomNom
2017-04-19, 05:12 PM
my build doesn't really matter as I'll just take everyone's suggestions and change my build as I go as Its just a floating idea atm.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-19, 05:40 PM
Crafting feats are a classic for when you have downtime.

Personally, I like combining Chameleon with Incarnum-users, who also have a great ability to change their character around from day-to-day. Even if you don't spend any levels, Shape Soulmeld offers a huge swathe of useful skill boosts, defensive boosts, and other goodies.

ATHATH
2017-04-19, 06:30 PM
Extra Invocation (if you entered via Warlock) is pretty nice.

WhamBamSam
2017-04-19, 06:49 PM
Crafting feats are a classic for when you have downtime.

Personally, I like combining Chameleon with Incarnum-users, who also have a great ability to change their character around from day-to-day. Even if you don't spend any levels, Shape Soulmeld offers a huge swathe of useful skill boosts, defensive boosts, and other goodies.If you do spend levels however, you can use it on Open Chakra feats, which scale with level (so if you're a Rogue 1/Totemist 2/Incarnate 2/Chameleon 2 or whatever, you might initially use it for your hand chakra, but later go on to use it for your shoulders chakra when you reach the required level).

Martial Study feats also scale with level, so they're also decent. As with Incarnum, spending levels on initiator classes can expand your options a bit.

Since you've got Animate Dead (at level 2 off the Death Master list), Corpsecrafter can be handy during downtime for bulking up your undead minions.

If you're finished with Chameleon and not sure where to go from there, I'm fond of setting the floating feat to Skill Focus (Diplomacy), then taking a level of Marshal for an unspecified bonus feat. You can then go back to using the floating feat for whatever you like.

If you're a Silverbrow Human or Changeling with Racial Emulation, have a few ranks in Handle Animal, and a dragon that you've subdued without killing, you can Memory Rot its Int down to 6 and train it to do tasks with a floating Dragon Trainer feat. Similarly, a Racial Emulation Changeling can use a floating Vermin Trainer to train vermin.

If you're a Ranger who cares about Favored Enemies (say for Nemesis or Murderous Intent), floating Extra Favored Enemy can come in handy.

Venger
2017-04-19, 07:08 PM
all excellent suggestions. nothing will ever gall me as much as not being able to take nemesis and murderous intent on the same character.

ATHATH
2017-04-19, 08:12 PM
If you're a Silverbrow Human or Changeling with Racial Emulation, have a few ranks in Handle Animal, and a dragon that you've subdued without killing, you can Memory Rot its Int down to 6 and train it to do tasks with a floating Dragon Trainer feat.
Ooh, that's devious. As far as I can tell, you can heal the INT damage later and have the dragon retain its tricks. Basically, you'll have installed a bunch of hypnotic triggers into/brainwashed a powerful and competent dragon, and it'll have no choice but to obey (provided that you make the DC 10 (or 12) Handle Animal check). Have it "Fetch" the BBEG's skull (or just "Attack" him), tell it to "Defend" you and your allies, force it to "Heel" if it tries to attack you, have it "Perform" a use of its breath weapon or a casting of a (named when you give the command) spell on a designated target... The possibilities are endless!

I might use this as the backstory/main gimmick of a BBEG... Is there any quick and convenient way to make someone count as a Dragon against their will (or while they're unconscious, I suppose)?

Vaz
2017-04-19, 08:17 PM
If you do spend levels however, you can use it on Open Chakra feats, which scale with level (so if you're a Rogue 1/Totemist 2/Incarnate 2/Chameleon 2 or whatever, you might initially use it for your hand chakra, but later go on to use it for your shoulders chakra when you reach the required level).

Martial Study feats also scale with level, so they're also decent. As with Incarnum, spending levels on initiator classes can expand your options a bit.

Since you've got Animate Dead (at level 2 off the Death Master list), Corpsecrafter can be handy during downtime for bulking up your undead minions.

If you're finished with Chameleon and not sure where to go from there, I'm fond of setting the floating feat to Skill Focus (Diplomacy), then taking a level of Marshal for an unspecified bonus feat. You can then go back to using the floating feat for whatever you like.

If you're a Silverbrow Human or Changeling with Racial Emulation, have a few ranks in Handle Animal, and a dragon that you've subdued without killing, you can Memory Rot its Int down to 6 and train it to do tasks with a floating Dragon Trainer feat. Similarly, a Racial Emulation Changeling can use a floating Vermin Trainer to train vermin.

If you're a Ranger who cares about Favored Enemies (say for Nemesis or Murderous Intent), floating Extra Favored Enemy can come in handy.

You can open Chakra's with spells, however, so maybe picking up the Shape Soulmeld gets a better return?

bekeleven
2017-04-19, 08:20 PM
Extra spell. Write in your spellbook. Rinse and repeat. Also this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?425036)

WhamBamSam
2017-04-19, 09:03 PM
Ooh, that's devious. As far as I can tell, you can heal the INT damage later and have the dragon retain its tricks. Basically, you'll have installed a bunch of hypnotic triggers into/brainwashed a powerful and competent dragon, and it'll have no choice but to obey (provided that you make the DC 10 (or 12) Handle Animal check). Have it "Fetch" the BBEG's skull (or just "Attack" him), tell it to "Defend" you and your allies, force it to "Heel" if it tries to attack you, have it "Perform" a use of its breath weapon or a casting of a (named when you give the command) spell on a designated target... The possibilities are endless!

I might use this as the backstory/main gimmick of a BBEG... Is there any quick and convenient way to make someone count as a Dragon against their will (or while they're unconscious, I suppose)?Essence of the Dragon or Polymorph while they're unconscious.

You can open Chakra's with spells, however, so maybe picking up the Shape Soulmeld gets a better return?Only one of the Open Chakra spells is of a level available to Chameleons. Open Lesser Chakra is 7th and Open Greater Chakra is 9th.

ATHATH
2017-04-19, 09:35 PM
Essence of the Dragon or Polymorph while they're unconscious.

Polymorph doesn't actually change your type, IIRC, but Essence of the Dragon is perfect. Thank you.

WhamBamSam
2017-04-19, 11:00 PM
Polymorph doesn't actually change your type, IIRC, but Essence of the Dragon is perfect. Thank you.
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature. The new form may be of the same type as the subject or any of the following types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, or vermin. The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level. You can’t cause a subject to assume a form smaller than Fine, nor can you cause a subject to assume an incorporeal or gaseous form. The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form.Emphasis mine. But yeah, Essence of the Dragon is easier as a Chameleon.