PDA

View Full Version : Dread Necromancer Gish; Advanced Learning Help

Vaz
2017-04-19, 08:06 PM
My DM has rewarded my character with a single Metamagic Feat that I can apply for free to any one spell, not increasing Spell Level or . Now, it's a very low OP game, and I don't want to abuse the game, so not going to be breaking out Persist; it's a new DM and I'm doing well enough to not really need it.

Instead, I'm a melee Dread Necromancer, and have just hit 8th level. So, Advanced Learning; my idea is to use a weapon-like Spell in conjunction with Fell Animate - are there any Necromancy spells from Sorcerer/Wizard which deal Hit Point damage as a melee attack - that I can fluff at least as a spectral blade? Would rather not go about asking for too much stuff that's not already in game to keep it simple for the DM.

Thanks!

Malroth
2017-04-19, 09:57 PM
Chill touch and Vampiric touch say hello

Deophaun
2017-04-20, 01:57 AM
Any ray can be refluffed as something like a Ragna Blade (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DciVtAHATCk).

The Viscount
2017-04-20, 11:45 AM
Wracking Touch from Spell Compendium will do the trick, even talks about SA with it so clearly it's got some precision. Simple damage with fort half, if that changes things.

nintendoh
2017-04-20, 12:48 PM
This is not going to help you id you have a strict dm. There is a spell called blade of blood and fear. Its a 2nd level evocation spell on the wizard/sorcerer list. It should be a necro spell though.

A 3-foot-long column of disembodied gnashing teeth springs forth from your hand, screaming and chanting with unholy vigor.
You make melee touch attacks with this blade of pain and fear.
The blade deals 1d6 points of damage +1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10).
Your Strength modifier does not apply to the damage.
A creature that you successfully deal damage to must also make a saving throw or become frightened

Does that fit your character. If he gave you a free feat then maybe he could swing this over to necro. Its no where near op.

DGIF2015
2017-04-20, 02:39 PM
I think I might use that spell myself!

ATHATH
2017-04-20, 08:42 PM
This is not going to help you id you have a strict dm. There is a spell called blade of blood and fear. Its a 2nd level evocation spell on the wizard/sorcerer list. It should be a necro spell though.

A 3-foot-long column of disembodied gnashing teeth springs forth from your hand, screaming and chanting with unholy vigor.
You make melee touch attacks with this blade of pain and fear.
The blade deals 1d6 points of damage +1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10).
Your Strength modifier does not apply to the damage.
A creature that you successfully deal damage to must also make a saving throw or become frightened

Does that fit your character. If he gave you a free feat then maybe he could swing this over to necro. Its no where near op.
It's Blade of Pain and Fear.

But yeah, it might be a nice spell to choose.

Venger
2017-04-21, 01:55 AM
blade of blood is also a spell which is pretty neat, but doesn't itself deal hp damage, it just boosts the damage of your next melee attack.

WhamBamSam
2017-04-21, 11:21 AM
blade of blood is also a spell which is pretty neat, but doesn't itself deal hp damage, it just boosts the damage of your next melee attack.That's actually debatable. Blade of Blood reads "The spell deals an extra 1d6 points of damage against the target of the attack." I'd argue that means that it is doing HP damage itself in a way that most spells which increase damage on attacks are not and is a valid choice for a Fell X vector.

Venger
2017-04-21, 12:21 PM
That's actually debatable. Blade of Blood reads "The spell deals an extra 1d6 points of damage against the target of the attack." I'd argue that means that it is doing HP damage itself in a way that most spells which increase damage on attacks are not and is a valid choice for a Fell X vector.

huh?

I mean "blade of blood is not a weaponlike spell" so doesn't fulfill the criteria initially being looked for, but while you're on weaponlike spells that you use in melee, such as blade of pain and fear, it's good to keep in mind, since it'd juice the damage you do.

nolongerchaos
2017-04-21, 05:49 PM
Points against it for not being Wiz/Sorc as requested and for being 3.0, but Boneblade from BoVD is a Cleric 3 Necromancy [Evil] spell, so it still qualifies for Advanced Learning.

You might have to worry about weapon proficiency, but the spell should also qualify for fun things like Black Lore and other necromancy fun.

WhamBamSam
2017-04-21, 06:54 PM
huh?

I mean "blade of blood is not a weaponlike spell" so doesn't fulfill the criteria initially being looked for, but while you're on weaponlike spells that you use in melee, such as blade of pain and fear, it's good to keep in mind, since it'd juice the damage you do.Right, but it is the spell itself doing damage rather than simply adding to damage from the weapon, which makes it a valid Fell X vector in place of or alongside your actual weaponlike spell.

Venger
2017-04-21, 08:02 PM
Right, but it is the spell itself doing damage rather than simply adding to damage from the weapon, which makes it a valid Fell X vector in place of or alongside your actual weaponlike spell.

oh I see. that makes sense. it's better to use that as a rider since it's a level lower