PDA

View Full Version : Core-only feats my familiar should take?

Draculstar
2017-04-19, 08:54 PM
So far my psuedodragon familiar has these feats:
• Weapon finesse (bonus)
• Alertness (1st)
• Flyby attack (3rd)
• Weapon focus - sting (6th)
• Ability focus - poison (9th)
• ? (12th)

My GM has houseruled that since familiars are treated as equal in HD to their masters for effects like Sleep and such, they also get feats and ability score increases as if equal in HD to their master.

What I'm wondering is, what feat should I pick for the little guy now that I'm at level 12?

J-H
2017-04-19, 09:30 PM
Is it a ranged attacker, or is it actually seeing use in melee?

If melee, try the Mage Slayer feat chain.

Malroth
2017-04-19, 09:40 PM
Mindsight to take advantage of it's telepathy . Alternatively Shape soulmeld (Acidic Spittle) to give it a range attack or Darkstalker to make it better at stealth.

Edit: stupid me missed the core only tag....

Gildedragon
2017-04-19, 10:42 PM
Leadership

Particle_Man
2017-04-19, 10:59 PM
If you are using it in meelee, maybe improved natural armour? I think that one can be taken multiple times, too.

Draculstar
2017-04-20, 09:10 AM
Leadership was shot down, but that was a good answer! Thank you.

Improved Natural Armor was given the OK so I'll be using that. I appreciate the swift responses. :smallsmile:

ATHATH
2017-04-20, 10:26 AM
Can you convince your DM to allow you to use stuff from the Fabulous Cats! April Fools article?

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c

EDIT: Whoops, I thought that your familiar was a cat for a moment there.

Elkad
2017-04-20, 10:52 AM
Does he play on your initiative or on his own? Improved Initiative is generally never wrong, but if he plays on your roll I guess it would be in that case.

He's got the Dex to justify Combat Reflexes too.

If he's dashing in and out of combat and wants to spend most of his time behind the party lines, Wingover is useful. (Improved Flight would be better non-core)

And if a retraining opportunity comes up, ditch Alertness :)

Gnaeus
2017-04-20, 01:43 PM
Skill focus UMD maybe.