PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Magic of Incarnum Web Expansion: Psion's Eyes Question

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-19, 11:13 PM
The Psion's Eyes soulmeld grants you at-will mindlink while bound to the brow chakra. It should grant you a manifester level. What would be the manifester level on that?

Thanks.

Particle_Man
2017-04-20, 01:04 AM
Presumably, either the level of incarnate (is this one on the incarnate spell list?), or half your character level (if you use the shape soulmeld feat).

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-20, 08:24 AM
Any effect created by a soulmeld has a cl/ml equal to your meldshaper level unless specified otherwise (MoI p.50).

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-20, 09:08 AM
Any effect created by a soulmeld has a cl/ml equal to your meldshaper level unless specified otherwise (MoI p.50).

Ah! Cool, thanks.

Can I use this to meet prerequisites for feats, or prestige classes?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-04-20, 09:17 AM
The soulmeld does rather suggest it's an actual power, not PLA, so yes, I guess you could. Nice find.

Note that it can't qualify you for classes that require 2nd-level powers or higher, nor for classes that require a pp reserve. You can qualify for the likes of Metamind and Elocater, which is pretty cool, if you're willing to give up on the manifesting advancement.

Jeriah
2017-04-21, 01:00 AM
The soulmeld does rather suggest it's an actual power, not PLA, so yes, I guess you could. Nice find.

Note that it can't qualify you for classes that require 2nd-level powers or higher, nor for classes that require a pp reserve. You can qualify for the likes of Metamind and Elocater, which is pretty cool, if you're willing to give up on the manifesting advancement.Except that if it's not a PLA, then you have no way to use it. The meld grants no PP, so using it at will accomplishes nothing. Interpreting it as an extra power known rather than PLA means that, barring a pp reserve from elsewhere, it's a useless ability beyond potentially meeting prereqs.

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-04-21, 08:01 AM
All the feats and race's I've seen (in XPH and CP) that grant psi-like abilities grant manifester levels. I was under the impression that you could use these manifester levels to qualify for feats and prestige classes that require them as a prerequisite.

Jeriah
2017-04-21, 01:18 PM
All the feats and race's I've seen (in XPH and CP) that grant psi-like abilities grant manifester levels. I was under the impression that you could use these manifester levels to qualify for feats and prestige classes that require them as a prerequisite.

You can. That is how it works.

What I was saying is that if it's specifically a psionic power, then it requires expending power points, which the soulmeld does not grant you. If you don't have pp from another source, you can't use it. Being able to use it "at will" means nothing, since you can use any powers you know at will... provided you have enough power points.

However, if it's a psi-like ability, then it needs no power points and is manifested as if augmented to the maximum amount possible based on your manifester level, which is set equal to your meldshaper level by the soulmeld. In this case, it works as written with no special rulings, gimmicks, or multiclassing needed.

I'm fully convinced that it was intended to be a PSA, not treated as a power known.