PDA

View Full Version : Wealth System?

Draz74
2007-07-29, 08:51 PM
Hey all,

What's the general opinion of the Wealth System of d20 Modern?

I think I've read a couple of comments here and there about how "It's the one bad spot in the otherwise-elegant Modern rules," etc. But why? It seems elegant to me - so much less bookkeeping and mundane details than D&D's money system! Sure it's abstract, but that seems OK to me.

Is there any way to regulate the wealth system, like guidelines for how much wealth an encounter of a certain CR should give, or Wealth By Level guidelines to help you get the right amount of equipment on a higher-level character? Is the lack of such rules the reason for the complaints about the wealth system?

Basically, I'm looking for a more abstract d20 economic system. I'm willing to homebrew and otherwise re-write the Wealth System, if doing so will get me what I want. Suggestions welcome!

Thinker
2007-07-29, 08:57 PM
I like it.

Dhavaer
2007-07-29, 10:09 PM
I also like it, although I think it could use a little fixing.

Jasdoif
2007-07-30, 12:18 AM
The Wealth system is abstract in the extreme. It's a little difficult to wrap your head around at first.

That said, it's pretty effective at what it does. You don't have to divert attention to paying rent or house payments, or keeping track of credit cards or loans; the system is built around the existence of such things, and abstracts them away so you don't need to consider the annoying middle steps, only the end result.

Is there any way to regulate the wealth system, like guidelines for how much wealth an encounter of a certain CR should give, or Wealth By Level guidelines to help you get the right amount of equipment on a higher-level character? Is the lack of such rules the reason for the complaints about the wealth system?There are such rules, in the D20 Modern core rulebook. However, it's noted that not every encounter should have a monetary reward. As the book says, "not every antagonist has a safe under his desk."

Draz74
2007-07-30, 01:24 AM
What needs fixing, Dhavaer?

There are such rules, in the D20 Modern core rulebook. However, it's noted that not every encounter should have a monetary reward. As the book says, "not every antagonist has a safe under his desk."

Ah, good. I was just going off of this info (http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/srd/srd_modern_html/msrdwealth.html). Now I will have to track down a copy of the book (probably in the bookstore) to peruse.

Dhavaer
2007-07-30, 01:35 AM
What needs fixing, Dhavaer?

It falls down a little with very high wealth bonuses. Above a certain level of wealth (+40ish) something with PDC 15 shouldn't lower wealth.

Zincorium
2007-07-30, 01:40 AM
The wealth system would be excellent if it weren't for the forced hybridization with D&D's idea of characters getting more money as they gain levels.

Let's face it, the idea of characters as paid mercenaries makes the profession system nonsensical (wait, so my character doesn't get paid unless he makes a wisdom check, despite the successful negotiations?), whereas the idea of the characters as people with normal jobs brings up the question of why a computer programmer can get obscenely rich just because he went out and killed some critters (although I can definitely get behind that business plan).

Another problem is that the quality of equipment is fairly low for most starting characters, rises until they have about the best they can actually use in terms of weapons and armor, and then it plateaus and now that the characters can afford to buy cars, there is no possible improvement from equipment, because unless they're SWAT, there's no bringing along the big, legally complicated equipment on adventures.

Draz74
2007-07-30, 02:46 AM
Well, most of those issues, Zincorium, go away if you import the Wealth system into D&D anyway. :smallamused:

I do agree that it doesn't make sense to have a Profession check be a part of anything if the characters haven't been doing anything related to their professions. So whether they got to make this check might depend on what schedule and style of adventuring they'd been through recently.

Magic items in the world should nicely destroy the "plateau" of not being able to get anything better with their wealth after mid-levels.

Golthur
2007-07-30, 10:37 AM
From what I recall, the Wealth system was designed to both abstract out money, and to automagically encapsulate things like credit cards, monthly payments, and so on. It's very similar to the old Marvel Super Heroes resource system, from what I can tell.

In a world with no-or-not-easily-available credit, it might need some retooling; e.g. purchasing something beyond your wealth might be quite difficult.