PDA

View Full Version : Beastmaster/ Life Cleric Progression

ebbisis
2017-04-20, 06:16 AM
Hi,

I was wondering what initial progression I should make with my Beastmaster + Cleric build.
At the moment they have 3 levels in Ranger choosing the Beastmaster Path and one level in Life Cleric that gets me Cantrips , Better Healing and Heavy armor.
Im either looking to get to level 5 in Ranger (ranger5 / cleric 1) first that will get me 2 attacks and an ASI/Feat Or get level 3 in cleric (ranger3 / cleric3) first and have level 2 spells that have synergy with my Pet.
There is a Bard in the party who can heal a little bit and the rest are casters and a Monk.

Thanks!

Arkhios
2017-04-20, 07:03 AM
If you're using Heavy Armor that strikes me as you're relying on strength to attack, which in turn means that you have spread your abilities quite wide (MAD even); at least 13 in dex and wis, Str being the highest or second to Wis. If you're using point buy and following multiclassing rules as written, I would take ranger to 5 asap, to catch that first Ability Score Improvement and use it to improve Strength. Either with feat or just raw pluses.

PS. If I were you, I'd change the topic to more clearly refer to Life or Light instead of plain 'L'; I'm sure you realize why. There's enough space for it. Sorry for being pedantic.

ebbisis
2017-04-20, 07:21 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the good advice , I am starting to go over to this side of the fence. I rolled for My stats and got a good spread. 15 str , 14 dex +2 , 15 con +1 , 12 Int , 15 wis , 12 cha
An ASI would give me that 16 str and 16 wis. None of the +str feats seem worthwhile.

Let me know if this changes your advise.

Arkhios
2017-04-20, 07:41 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the good advice , I am starting to go over to this side of the fence. I rolled for My stats and got a good spread. 15 str , 14 dex +2 , 15 con +1 , 12 Int , 15 wis , 12 cha
An ASI would give me that 16 str and 16 wis. None of the +str feats seem worthwhile.

Let me know if this changes your advise.

Nah, I would definitely still go for Ranger 5 first. Extra Attack is strong ability and better acquired as soon as possible.
Besides, upping both str and wis benefits both cleric and ranger. Both classes rely on wisdom with spells which is one thing, and ranger 5/cleric 1 spread still nets you 2nd level spell slots as your multiclass spellcasting level would be 3 (as opposed to rgr 3/clr 3, which would be only a level 4 spellcaster and would have only one 2nd level spell slot more).

I'd say Extra Attack is much better than one more spell slot.

Also, your Beast Companion benefits more from higher ranger level (regardless if you're using revised or original)

ebbisis
2017-04-20, 07:51 AM
Hi,

All great points and an over all more solid option, especially due to using a Lance on most of the attacks. Two D12s are pretty significant.
Thanks alot for the advise, I will be going this route.