PDA

View Full Version : Getting my goat... literally!

dragonwings
2007-07-29, 09:16 PM
Alright ladies and gentlemen, here's the deal. I want to make a druid with a goat companion. The trouble is, I have no freaking clue where to find the stats for a goat. Help!

Maa~ah. ^.^

Starsinger
2007-07-29, 09:40 PM
Aren't there rams or goatlike creatures in frostburn?

Burrito
2007-07-29, 10:21 PM
Did a internet search, and someone had come up with these and posted them. I am sure you can twek them however you want. It is for a Ram, rather than a goat, but pretty similar.

Ram: CR 2; Large Animal; HD 4d8+8; hp 26; Init ; Spd 30ft; AC 12 (+3 natural, -1 size); Atks +6 (1d8+4 slam); SA Ram Charge; AL N; SV Fort +7 (good), Ref +4 (good), Will -1; Str 17, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 6, Cha 10. SA: Ram Charge: Charge increases damage to 2d8+4. Face 5ft by 10ft.

For a goat, or sheep for that matter, I would think it would be medium, rather than large size. I would cut down on the ramming/charging damage, but not much, since some type of goats get some impressive horns. I would also give it a decent climbing rate, like 20ft or something. Goats can get up into just about anything. and hey, if it is a female, then you have a ready source of milk (and eventually cheese). I'd go for a smaller Str, and a higher Dex though. If you want realistic anyway.

Quietus
2007-07-29, 10:34 PM
Buy a mule, reflavor it.

Amiria
2007-07-30, 08:01 AM
The Brixashulties (Races of the Wild) are goatlike creatures. Halfling druids can have one as an animal companion with no penalty. Nonhalfling druids must be at least 4th level and have their level reduced by three to determine the Brixashulty companion's abilities.

JellyPooga
2007-07-30, 11:03 AM
The Brixashulties (Races of the Wild) are goatlike creatures. Halfling druids can have one as an animal companion with no penalty. Nonhalfling druids must be at least 4th level and have their level reduced by three to determine the Brixashulty companion's abilities.

Brixashulty Animal Companions are cool, especially if you take the Halfling Racial Substitution Level for Druid and get the Enhanced Link feature and/or take levels in Arcane Heirophant to make it a Familiar Companion...mmm halfling mounted combat goodness...

Citizen Joe
2007-07-30, 11:26 AM
Use pony (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pony.htm) as a baseline.

dragonwings
2007-07-30, 12:37 PM
Thanks to everyone who has posted!

Alright, here are my only problems with a few of the suggestions.

The mule and pony ideas are good, but just flavoring them different is going to be tricky. Having a pony or a mule by your side and having a smelly old goat by your side are two completely different things. For one thing, the goat is meaner. :smallwink:

The Brixashulty idea is good, but I really don't want to change the character's own story/flavor. He's a human goat herder druid. I'd rather not alter him to get a better build (thought a mounted halfling druid does sound fun for the future) and I'd really prefer to be able to start him off as level one.

So far the ram suggestion seems to be the best option. Are there no books with the stats for regular farm animals like pigs, chicken, sheep, cows, etc?

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-31, 09:09 AM
Probably 1d8+2/2d8+4, Small/Medium, Headbutt/Gore for 1d4+3/1d6+3, +2 racial bonus to Survival, Str 12, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 2, Wis ?? Cha ??(Use Wisdom and Charisma of a Mule. Most animals have average-ish Wis/Cha which is almost all the same anyway)

goat
2007-07-31, 07:45 PM
A goat won't be happy about being ridden.

I'd probably be inclined to give them acrobatic charge rather than a climb speed to represent their sure footing rather than an ability to climb ropes. Basing it off a donkey probably, with a gore attack.