PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Custom Minotaur Charger

Ebon Rogue
2017-04-20, 11:54 AM
So I got a little one shot coming up that I've been making. I've been using Volo's and the MM to setup proper CR encounters for the party, who will be level 7. I have it all setup except the BBEG for the final encounter. I am not a huge fan of the Legendary system in 5e, feels like they're cheating and TPKing a group because he has an unlimited action economy doesn't feel good for anyone. I prefer a normal creature with some unique abilities and an entourage to offset that numbers advantage. So without further ado, I present the Minotaur Charger:

Eddar the Tame
Large Evil Monstrocity
Stats: 18 / 11 / 16 / 10 / 7 / 5
HP: (135) 16d10+48
AC: 17 (13 Natural, +4 Ringmail)
Skills: Athletics, Perception +6
Speed: 30ft
CR: 7 (2,900 XP)

Multiattack: The minotaur makes three attacks or bull rush and two attacks.

Horns. Melee Weapon Attack: To hit +7. On hit 16 (2d8+7)

Bull Rush (Recharge 5-6). Using the Minotaur's Move Action, it charges up to twice it's speed in a straight line. If the Minotaur runs into a creature; the Minotaur makes a free Horn attack on that creature, on Hit the creature is also grappled by the horns until the end of their turn; and the Minotaur continues moving. Once a creature is grappled in this manner, any other creature in the path is pushed to an adjacent tile. If an object stops the Minotaur's charge and it has a creature grappled on its horns, the creature takes damage equal to the Horn attack that grappled it.

And, there you have it, my boss(ish) Minotaur Charger. Design-wise, he is a slave gladiator to a Netherese noble. Smarter than the average Minotaur, and just as strong; he likes to abuse that Bull Rush to grapple ranged enemies or separate teams of fighters. Abusing grapple, shove(prone and grappled is horrific), and his horn attack to control the encounter is his game.

So I am looking for critique on the the balance as a boss-like creature with a handful of 1/2 CR Orcs. There will be 4 party members of 7th level(or equivalent with NPCs).