PDA

View Full Version : A flowchart for choosing your character's class

Specter
2017-04-20, 12:23 PM
https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/flowcharts/which-dungeons-and-dragons-class-should-you-play

I gotta admit, it’s cool and very well designed. Next time a new player joins your club, they might enjoy this.

KorvinStarmast
2017-04-20, 12:46 PM
https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/flowcharts/which-dungeons-and-dragons-class-should-you-play

I gotta admit, it’s cool and very well designed. Next time a new player joins your club, they might enjoy this.

Nice find. Will pass to our group tonight when we meet.
Thanks.

jaappleton
2017-04-20, 12:49 PM
I like it!

Thumbs up.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-04-20, 01:05 PM
Good answer for the person that shows up to a session 0 saying "I don't know what to play."

Lazymancer
2017-04-20, 01:07 PM

Answering both "I want one or two supernatural nukes" and "I want flexibility, but I'm neither religious, nor academic" - ends up with Sorcerer.

And I didn't even look too deep.

Beechgnome
2017-04-20, 02:18 PM
Answering both "I want one or two supernatural nukes" and "I want flexibility, but I'm neither religious, nor academic" - ends up with Sorcerer.

I think the chart has a number of opportunities to come back to an earlier choice. I don't think that's a flaw. It's a bit simplistic, but then, it is a flow chart.

hymer
2017-04-20, 02:23 PM
One way to get to druid is to answer 'Meh' to 'Are you good with the gods?'.

Edit: And while you can arrive there from preferring to use strength in a fight, you can't by preferring to be nimble?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-20, 02:24 PM

Are you saying that's a flaw? Because it looks like good design to me. Those two trains of thought are both valid reasons to play a sorcerer.

One way to get to druid is to answer 'Meh' to 'Are you good with the gods?'.

Or 'so cool' to wanting to turn into a bear. Edit: and dex-based druid is niche enough that it's fair to omit it from this flowchart, I reckon.

Aside: is there a name for that art style where pictures are replaced with semi-abstract blocks of flat colour?

DGIF2015
2017-04-20, 02:31 PM
Awesome...thanks

hymer
2017-04-20, 02:36 PM
Or 'so cool' to wanting to turn into a bear.
You'd have to say both, which makes little sense with FR being the standard D&D setting this edition.

and dex-based druid is niche enough that it's fair to omit it from this flowchart, I reckon.

How about a wis-based one? By this chart, you can only pursue a 'moon druid' path through the strength-option, which is highly misleading.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-20, 02:52 PM
How about a wis-based one?

That's the 'connection with nature' path. I... think that was what I meant to say before. :S

hymer
2017-04-20, 03:00 PM
That's the 'connection with nature' path. I... think that was what I meant to say before. :S

Okay, well, the 'connection with nature' path can't be gotten to by picking melee. Which is my big gripe here, the melee druid (whether moon or just shillelagh-based; even scimitar can be wielded with dex, and more likely will be) option is shaky, in more ways than one.

DMBlackhart
2017-04-20, 03:08 PM
Aside: is there a name for that art style where pictures are replaced with semi-abstract blocks of flat colour?

I want to say minimalist? Or abstract. Lol

Zman
2017-04-20, 03:22 PM
Pretty solid, definitely has uses with new players.

Spectre9000
2017-04-20, 03:39 PM
You can't get to Warlock, Sorcerer, or Wizard by the melee route. You have Favored Soul (pre-****ing it up), Stone Sorcerer, and Storm Sorcerer for melee options for the Sorcerer. You have Pact of the Blade, and in general Hexblade for melee for the Warlock. You have Bladesinger and Dwarven Abjurerer for a melee wizard.

Specter
2017-04-20, 03:43 PM
Some people just take abstractions too seriously.

Puh Laden
2017-04-20, 03:58 PM
You can't get to Warlock, Sorcerer, or Wizard by the melee route. You have Favored Soul (pre-****ing it up), Stone Sorcerer, and Storm Sorcerer for melee options for the Sorcerer. You have Pact of the Blade, and in general Hexblade for melee for the Warlock. You have Bladesinger and Dwarven Abjurerer for a melee wizard.

You actually can get to warlock through melee.

>Charge in
>Nimble
>no kung fu
>Would not risk life for good story
>born schemer
>schemes involve allying with dark and strange elements

As for sorcerer and wizard, it's probably only taking PHB into account, and mountain dwarven abjurer is pretty niche, as it requires picking a specific subrace of a specific race.

Armored Walrus
2017-04-20, 04:09 PM
Nitpicking a flowchart designed to simplify the process of choosing a character class by pointing out that it doesn't cover every possible class, skill, archetype, UA option, splat book, or unconventional character design.

You might be a GITP poster...

BoringInfoGuy
2017-04-20, 04:44 PM
A neat tool. While the benefit to new players trying to figure out their first character is obvious, I could also see an old timer player using it to break out of a rut.

Cl0001
2017-04-20, 06:52 PM

But the class in general is magic based with ranged attacks. I could say the same thing with rogues and fighters with how they don't have a magic based route for their one archetype.

BoringInfoGuy
2017-04-20, 07:54 PM
I think that it is safe to say that if you already know the classes well enough to spot how some variants are not included in the chart, then you have already outgrown the chart.