PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Treefolk (PC Plant race)

rferries
2017-04-20, 02:21 PM
Treefolk
http://chameleonsden.com/products/items/magic_the_gathering_portal_card_rowan_treefolk/thumbnail.jpg

Ents from Lord of the Rings, Treefolk from Magic: The Gathering, Ancients from Warcraft… this is intended as a quintessential plant-type PC, slow but durable. I aim to do a few more monstrous PC races, for the various monster types. I used Pathfinder because the power level is higher so there’s a bit more leeway in designing. Note also the “Mortal” special quality, which allows monster pcs to have the types that are traditionally overpowered for PCs by weakening their immunities (a la living construct, half-undead, etc.). I’ve slapped on a bunch of other weaknesses on this race to make up for the hardness (basically super-damage-reduction at 1st level!), but may have gone overboard. I’m also considering expanding it with even more feats so that it can be any plant (e.g. venus flytrap, or even algae or fungi).

Mortal (Ex): This creature lacks the immunities normally granted by virtue of its type. Instead, it possesses a +2 racial bonus on saves against any effect against which its type would normally be immune. Furthermore, a creature of this type may only assume humanoid forms when using the alter self spell.

Physical Description: Created by magical experimentation or divine intervention, Treefolk in most ways resemble a mundane variety of tree such as an oak apple, save for a vaguely humanoid visage on the trunk through which they perceive the world. They have as many branches as any other tree, but are clumsy and can only manipulate one branch at a time. They ambulate albeit slowly on their multitude of roots.

Society: Treefolk society is generally limited to a grove of treefolk related to each other by blood (or sap, rather). Certain varieties prefer to live as individuals, enjoying total seclusion. Treefolk are united in a belief in taking things slowly, to say the least.

Relations: Treefolk get along well with the sylvan races such as elves and gnomes due to mutual respect for nature. They also enjoy the company of dwarves, bonding over their mutual dour/sedate temperaments. Their glacial mental and physical processes may exasperate other humanoids but generally they’re inoffensive enough.

Alignment and Religion: As sentient plants Treefolk have a strong affinity for nature’s impartiality, and as such are generally neutral-aligned on at least one axis. Apart from that, they are generally more inclined to good rather than evil, if for no other reason than good is a generally a more passive/reactive philosophy.

Adventurers: Treefolk are content to keep to their groves out in the wilderness, rooted day and night. Adventuring treefolk are uncommon and rarely encounter others of their kind out in the greater world.

+2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -4 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence: Treefolk are as hearty and wise as the trees, and every bit as slow in thought and deed.

Plant: Treefolk are plant creatures with the mortal subtype.

Medium: Treefolk are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Slower and Steadier: Treefolk have a base speed of 10 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor, encumbrance, or exhaustion.

Barkskin (Su): Treefolk benefit from a permanent, innate version of the barkskin spell. Their caster level is equal their character level (minimum 3rd), granting a +2 bonus to their natural armor at 1st level.

Speak With Plants (Su): Treefolk can speak with plants at will, as the spell.

Grove Heritage (Ex): Treefolk select one extra feat at first level. This must be a [Treefolk] feat (see below).

Weaknesses (Ex): Treefolk have a number of severe weaknesses, primarily based around their susceptibility to the elements and their languid natures.

Cold Susceptibility (Ex): A magical attack that deals cold damage slows a Treefolk (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

Fire Vulnerability (Ex): Treefolk are vulnerable to fire and flames, taking extra damage (+50%) from such attacks.

Light Dependence (Ex): Treefolk become even more lethargic than usual when deprived of sunlight. They gain the fatigued condition whenever away from natural sunlight for more than 1 hour. A spell with the [Light] descriptor of at least 3rd level is sufficiently bright to counter this effect.

Lightning Attractant (Ex): Treefolk suffer a -2 racial penalty on saves against electricity effects.

Natural Attacks (Ex): Treefolk gain two slam attacks. The slams are a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the creature is wielding weapons. The damage is based on the creature’s size (1d4 for Medium creatures).

Plant Empathy (Su): This ability functions as the druid's wild empathy, save that a Treefolk can only use this ability on plant creatures. A Treefolk gains a +4 racial bonus on this check.

Put Down Roots (Ex): As a full-round action a Treefolk can set down their roots into the ground, or similarly uproot themselves. A rooted Treefolk can’t move but may still attack and cast spells and can’t be tripped. A Treefolk that spends at least 4 hours rooted per day has no need of food or water. This ability may not function in certain environments, at the DM’s discretion.

Arboreal Skills (Ex): Knowledge (nature) and Survival are always class skills for a Treefolk. Treefolk have a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks while amidst natural vegetation.

Wooden (Ex): Treefolk are effectively animated trees with Hardness 5. Cold, electricity, and fire attacks ignore this hardness (in addition to dealing extra damage or having additional effects, as described above), but all other energy attacks deal half damage to them. Divide the damage by 2 before applying the hardness.

Languages: Treefolk begin play speaking Common and Sylvan. Treefolk with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Auran, Aquan, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, and Terran.

Many of the feats below are aimed at overcoming the crippling weaknesses outlined above.
Amber Magic [Treefolk]
You have mastered a form of temporal magic that draws on your own arboreal longevity and the crystallised power of your own sap.

Prerequisite: Character level 5th, Treefolk.

Benefit: Once per day as a full-round action you may fashion a chunk of pure amber from your own sap. Once created, the amber retains its properties indefinitely. However, if you create amber when you already have a piece available, the older piece crumbles instantly with no effect.

As a standard action you may shatter the amber to cast slow as a spell-like ability. At 15th level this improves to the ability to cast temporal stasis instead, and finally at 17th level you may use the amber to cast time stop.

If you possess any metamagic feats, you may apply them to the amber spell-like ability without restriction when you activate it (if you apply the Quicken Spell or Quicken Spell-Like Ability feat, shattering the amber is a free action).

Bonsai [Treefolk]
As a result of experiments by druid aesthetes on you or your ancestors, you are a diminuitive but downright adorable Treefolk.

Prerequisite: Treefolk, must be taken at 1st level.

Benefit: You are a Small creature (rather than medium) and gain a +1 size bonus to your AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to your CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.

You gain a +2 bonus to your Charisma and Dexterity scores (stacking with your racial Dexterity penalty).

Special: If you take this feat you may not take the Growth feat.

Conifer [Treefolk]
You come from a long and proud lineage of noble firs, or similar cold-dwelling species. Your slow metabolism (even for a Treefolk) makes you more resistant to physiological attacks as well.

Prerequisite: Treefolk, must be taken at 1st level

Benefit: You lose the Cold Susceptibility quality and gain cold resistance equal to your character level (stacking will all other cold resistance). Your hardness now applies to cold attacks.

Your racial bonus on saves against poison and polymorph effects increases to +4

Flame-Seared [Treefolk]
You have survived a forest fire or dragon’s breath in the past, and have become inured to -and infused with- flame.

Prerequisite: Treefolk.

Benefit: You lose the Fire Vulnerability quality and gain fire resistance equal to your character level (stacking will all other fire resistance). Your hardness now applies to fire attacks. Furthermore, you gain the burn special attack as a fire elemental of your size (1D6, DC 14 for a medium creature).

Your hideously charred visage is unsettling to other plant creatures. You take a -4 penalty on Diplomacy and Plant Empathy checks with such creatures but gain a +4 bonus on Intimidate checks.

Special: If you select this feat without also possessing the Conifer feat, you gain Cold Vulnerability (take 50% more cold damage).

Grafted Hybrid [Treefolk]
Through bizarre magical experiments, branches from other Treefolk have been grafted on to your own trunk.

Benefit: You may take [Treefolk] feats that can only be selected at 1st level, regardless of your actual level.

For every two [Treefolk] feats you possess, you gain +2 to your Constitution score.

Special: If you have the Growth feat and use this feat to take the Bonsai feat, the DM cleaves your skull open with a fire axe.

Growth [Treefolk]
As you have adventured, your stature has grown to match your skill.

Prerequisite: Character level 12th, Treefolk.

Benefit: You grow to the next size category. Use the rules for advancing monsters for determining your new ability scores, natural armor, slam attack damage, and size bonuses and penalties.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you do, increase your size to the next largest category.

Ironwood Trunk [Treefolk]
Through magic or simple adventuring experience you have gained the benefits of the ironwood spell.

Prerequisite: Plant type, character level 12th.

Benefit: Your hardness increases to 10 and you gain fire resistance 10 (stacking with all other fire resistance). Furthermore, you gain a +1 enhancement bonus on all attacks.

Lightning-Blasted [Treefolk]
You’ve been struck by lightning so many times (either on your adventures or even as a sapling) that you pay it no mind. Your many shocks have also made you even more resistant to attacks on your mind.

Benefit: You lose the Electricity Susceptibility quality and gain electricity resistance equal to your character level (stacking with all other electricity resistance). Your hardness now applies to electricity attacks.

Your racial bonus on saves against mind-affecting, paralysis, sleep and stunning effects increases to +4.

Many Branches [Combat] [Treefolk]
You have improved your twig-eye coordination.

Benefit: You can use an additional branch as a limb. You gain an additional slam attack with that limb and can use it to wield an additional weapon.

Special: You may take this feat more than once, each time gaining the use of an additional branch and a corresponding slam attack.

Taking this feat allows you to qualify for the Multiweapon Fighting and Multiattack feats.

Orchard Tree [Treefolk]
You are a modest and helpful Treefolk resembling an apple, coconut, chestnut, or other fruit-bearing tree.

Prerequisite: Treefolk, must be taken at first level.

Benefit: Three times per day you may use the goodberry spell as a spell-like ability to produce food for yourself and your companions from your own fruits or nuts. At 11th level, you may also use heroes’ feast once per day as a spell-like ability.

Root-Runner [Combat] [Treefolk]
You have learned to move more quickly on your many gnarled roots.

Benefit: Your base land speed doubles, increasing it to 20 feet.

Special: You may take this feat a second time, increasing your base land speed to 40 feet.

Warden [Treefolk]
Your grove descends from the holly, rowan or similar trees with protective powers.

Benefit: You may use protection from evil three times per day as a spell-like ability. At 11th level you begin to radiate a magic circle against evil, which you can suppress or reactivate as a free action. Your caster level for this effect is equal to your character level.

Special: The above effects function regardless of your own alignment.

Willow [Treefolk]
You are among the most flexible and graceful of your kind.

Benefit: You lose your racial Dexterity penalty.

Special: Whenever you take the Growth feat, ignore any penalties to your Dexterity.

Other potential feats: Acorn tree that can use the fire seeds spell, Oak tree that can use shillelagh, witch hazel that can use divination spells, etc. etc.

rferries
2017-04-29, 04:36 PM
Bumping to ask if this is a bit hard to read, I'm worried that people may be turned off by the layout (of course no harm no foul if there's just no interest, haha!).

Debihuman
2017-04-30, 12:07 AM
Creatures do not have hardness usually, they have natural armor. See wooden. They also have natural armor 2, you might want to fix this.

I think this race has this has too many weaknesses that will render it not too fun to play. As an NPC, this would be fun to DM. Therein lies the problem.

While Pathfinder does not have LA, it does use racial points. See Race Bulider. I'm not sure how this balances since I am not as proficient with Pathfinder.

Debby

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-04-30, 05:28 AM
I would like to see a treefolk first level only feat that removes the -2 penalty to int and gives +2 instead. Seems balanced against the other feats: e.g. it is similar to the willow ability but for int instead of dex.

Why do I want this? Because I'd like to see a treefolk wizard!

Something along the lines of:

Feat, Oak Tree. You may only take this at first level. You do not suffer the racial penalty to intelligence and instead gain a +2 bonus to intelligence. Special: Your body contains compartments suitable for storing items up to your starting carrying capacity in pounds. (I think the idea of a tree reaching into its hollows for wands or spell books is super flavourful)

rferries
2017-04-30, 03:20 PM
Creatures do not have hardness usually, they have natural armor. See wooden. They also have natural armor 2, you might want to fix this.

I think this race has this has too many weaknesses that will render it not too fun to play. As an NPC, this would be fun to DM. Therein lies the problem.

While Pathfinder does not have LA, it does use racial points. See Race Bulider. I'm not sure how this balances since I am not as proficient with Pathfinder.

Debby

Yes, the idea was that they have all the weaknesses to make up for their very potent strength (hardness is an unusual trait I agree but I always felt it should apply to more than just animated objects). I really don't want to give up the hardness though it's certainly possible the race is too polarised to the point of not being playable. Could I remove some of the weaknesses without the race becoming too powerful, do you think?

The trouble with balancing this race is most of the weaknesses were drafted from scratch, I really just eyeballed everything since none of the race builder weaknesses seemed thematic (apart from the ability score modifiers). A case of flavour over function, haha.

I would like to see a treefolk first level only feat that removes the -2 penalty to int and gives +2 instead. Seems balanced against the other feats: e.g. it is similar to the willow ability but for int instead of dex.

Why do I want this? Because I'd like to see a treefolk wizard!

Something along the lines of:

Feat, Oak Tree. You may only take this at first level. You do not suffer the racial penalty to intelligence and instead gain a +2 bonus to intelligence. Special: Your body contains compartments suitable for storing items up to your starting carrying capacity in pounds. (I think the idea of a tree reaching into its hollows for wands or spell books is super flavourful)

That's a fantastic idea! There's a wealth of superstition about different tree species, so it's easy to churn out feats for virtually any purpose for this race. And may I ask your opinion on the weaknesses as well - too much of a feat tax to overcome them, or no?

Thank you both for your comments!

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-05-01, 03:04 AM
Idk enough PF to comment feat:tax.

rferries
2017-05-01, 02:30 PM
Idk enough PF to comment feat:tax.

"Feat tax" in the sense that a PC will have to spend most or all of their feats to make a workable character of this race. Thanks anyway though!

fire_insideout
2017-05-01, 02:49 PM
I think you went overboard with the racial penalties on this one.

Being constantly staggered until level 3 is going to have most players choose a different race, and that's before you realise that you are moving at 10 ft. / round and can't use bows or crossbows (since they're two handed), so a commoner throwing torches at you has all the time in the world to kill you, hardness or not...

I'd say that you should remove the staggered penalty and the single limb penalty. That might bring it closer to playable, although from a mechanical standpoint a human is still probably the better choice.

rferries
2017-05-01, 05:46 PM
I think you went overboard with the racial penalties on this one.

Being constantly staggered until level 3 is going to have most players choose a different race, and that's before you realise that you are moving at 10 ft. / round and can't use bows or crossbows (since they're two handed), so a commoner throwing torches at you has all the time in the world to kill you, hardness or not...

I'd say that you should remove the staggered penalty and the single limb penalty. That might bring it closer to playable, although from a mechanical standpoint a human is still probably the better choice.

Righto, happy to do so. I was excessively paranoid about hardness being overpowered, it seems!

fire_insideout
2017-05-02, 04:26 AM
Righto, happy to do so. I was excessively paranoid about hardness being overpowered, it seems!

I'd still say it's a bit on the weak side, since you need to use some of your precious feats to make it compete with other classes, but it's probably playable as a caster now.

I would change Hardness to DR 5/Fire, Electricity or Cold. Hardness and DR are basically the same thing, but one is used for objects and the other is for creatures. The mechanical effect is the same, but it's an established standard which I would stick to in order to make it less confusing for players and DMs.

Why are they more susceptible to electricity and cold? Plants generally contain less water than mammals, so they're normally less conductive, and they manage cold just as well as other creatures in the same areas.

rferries
2017-05-02, 05:59 AM
I'd still say it's a bit on the weak side, since you need to use some of your precious feats to make it compete with other classes, but it's probably playable as a caster now.

I would change Hardness to DR 5/Fire, Electricity or Cold. Hardness and DR are basically the same thing, but one is used for objects and the other is for creatures. The mechanical effect is the same, but it's an established standard which I would stick to in order to make it less confusing for players and DMs.

Why are they more susceptible to electricity and cold? Plants generally contain less water than mammals, so they're normally less conductive, and they manage cold just as well as other creatures in the same areas.

Damage reduction only applies to physical attacks, hardness also applies to energy damage and isn't overcome by aligned/magical/special material weapons other than adamantine (hence my fears that it was too powerful). Again, I wanted to keep hardness for flavour but perhaps it really is just too unwieldy.

The energy susceptibilities were (along with the original single-limb and staggered qualities) just me looking for flavourful drawbacks to balance out the hardness. Electricity weakness = tall trees attracting lightning, cold susceptibility = deciduous trees losing their leaves and "sleeping" in winter, etc.

fire_insideout
2017-05-02, 07:02 AM
Damage reduction only applies to physical attacks, hardness also applies to energy damage and isn't overcome by aligned/magical/special material weapons other than adamantine (hence my fears that it was too powerful). Again, I wanted to keep hardness for flavour but perhaps it really is just too unwieldy.
Ah, I had forgotten that. Thanks!

The energy susceptibilities were (along with the original single-limb and staggered qualities) just me looking for flavourful drawbacks to balance out the hardness. Electricity weakness = tall trees attracting lightning, cold susceptibility = deciduous trees losing their leaves and "sleeping" in winter, etc.

Fair enough.

So, on the positive side you have:

Major bonuses
Hardness 5
Two slam attacks
Natural AC bonus ranging from +2 to +5

Minor bonuses

Speak with plants at will
Good relations with plants
Skill bonuses
Cannot be tripped
No need for food or water

Downsides

-2 total to ability scores
10 ft. speed
Fatigued all night, every night (unless casting spells, which will disturb rest periods IIRC)
Fire vulnerability
Easily slowed
Difficulty to avoid lightning

I don't count the bonus feat as a positive as any character pretty much has to spend it on 'root runner' in order to be anything but a sitting duck in combat. A spellcaster/ranged combatant w. 10 ft speed will be easily cornered and cut down in melee, and a tank can't catch and kill anything that doesn't sit still.

Overall, I think it'll be very difficult to play a low level Treefolk without root runner, as you'll be dead as soon as your party has to retreat from battle, at higher levels you can always fly away or similar. The hardness is important for the first few levels, but it'll be a minor bonus after level 5-ish, the same with the AC bonus. The slam attacks are probably what can be abused the most, at least they would be in 3.5, I'm not super familiar with how natural attacks can be optimised in Pathfinder.

The penalty to ability scores means that certain classes will rarely see play with a treefolk, it looks like a Cleric would be a good choice as spells can offset some of the penalties. The fire vulnerability is a high risk which can be really problematic, but it can also be a non-issue, depending on the adventure and DM.

rferries
2017-05-02, 07:11 PM
Ah, I had forgotten that. Thanks!

Fair enough.

So, on the positive side you have:

Major bonuses
Hardness 5
Two slam attacks
Natural AC bonus ranging from +2 to +5

Minor bonuses

Speak with plants at will
Good relations with plants
Skill bonuses
Cannot be tripped
No need for food or water

Downsides

-2 total to ability scores
10 ft. speed
Fatigued all night, every night (unless casting spells, which will disturb rest periods IIRC)
Fire vulnerability
Easily slowed
Difficulty to avoid lightning

I don't count the bonus feat as a positive as any character pretty much has to spend it on 'root runner' in order to be anything but a sitting duck in combat. A spellcaster/ranged combatant w. 10 ft speed will be easily cornered and cut down in melee, and a tank can't catch and kill anything that doesn't sit still.

Overall, I think it'll be very difficult to play a low level Treefolk without root runner, as you'll be dead as soon as your party has to retreat from battle, at higher levels you can always fly away or similar. The hardness is important for the first few levels, but it'll be a minor bonus after level 5-ish, the same with the AC bonus. The slam attacks are probably what can be abused the most, at least they would be in 3.5, I'm not super familiar with how natural attacks can be optimised in Pathfinder.

The penalty to ability scores means that certain classes will rarely see play with a treefolk, it looks like a Cleric would be a good choice as spells can offset some of the penalties. The fire vulnerability is a high risk which can be really problematic, but it can also be a non-issue, depending on the adventure and DM.

Thanks for your analysis! Could it stand to be buffed again, then, or is it fine as is? And I was thinking they'd be good druids, too! :D

theasl
2017-05-02, 07:38 PM
I believe the non-physical version of DR is energy resistance (see aasimar, tiefling).

fire_insideout
2017-05-03, 07:01 AM
Thanks for your analysis! Could it stand to be buffed again, then, or is it fine as is? And I was thinking they'd be good druids, too! :D

Yea, a Treefolk druid would probably work well too. It's still probably a little on the weak side, the Hardness is negligible at higher levels, while the mobility hit hurts more and more, but it's definitely playable with the right spell and item selection. At this point I'd recommend that you try to get some playtesting done, preferably with a few different characters and classes. We can be reasonably sure that a treefolk cleric or druid can work, but what about a fighter or barbarian? A treefolk paladin?