PDA

View Full Version : Immortal Playable Races...

AOKost
2017-04-20, 05:10 PM
Has anyone made a thread dedicated to Immortal or virtually immortal races? I know that Warforged don't age, and neither do Ielans, and I think Kilorians don't either, and Elves can be immortal if they take the appropriate racial trait... In this case, the term immortal is referring to a being that won't die of old age. Vampires and other undead could fall into this category, but I'd rather keep the discussion to race that are available as PCs.

Venger
2017-04-20, 05:17 PM
Has anyone made a thread dedicated to Immortal or virtually immortal races? I know that Warforged don't age, and neither do Ielans, and I think Kilorians don't either, and Elves can be immortal if they take the appropriate racial trait... In this case, the term immortal is referring to a being that won't die of old age. Vampires and other undead could fall into this category, but I'd rather keep the discussion to race that are available as PCs.

here you go (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996)

the thing about elves isn't true in 3.5, but that might be a pathfinder racial option.

AOKost
2017-04-21, 03:15 AM
the thing about elves isn't true in 3.5, but that might be a pathfinder racial option.

It is an alternate Racial Trate available to Elves in Pathfinder found in Advanced Race Guide.

Lazymancer
2017-04-21, 04:23 AM
here you go (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996)

Arguably, Otherworldly feat works, since it makes character an outsider.

Also, guide does not include Jaebrin (+1 LA fey), who should be just as immortal as Killoren.

Inevitability
2017-04-21, 05:28 AM
Arguably, Otherworldly feat works, since it makes character an outsider.

Also, guide does not include Jaebrin (+1 LA fey), who should be just as immortal as Killoren.

If we're treating all fey as immortal, don't forget the +0 LA jermlaines.

Jowgen
2017-04-21, 06:05 AM
If we're treating all fey as immortal, don't forget the +0 LA jermlaines.

Also, Feytouched and Half-Fey template creatures.

As a note on Fey mortality: the Fey feature articles state that a DM should decide whether Fey are mortal or immortal in his world, but the Killoren's explicit immortality strongly suggests that immortality is the default in 3.5.

Venger
2017-04-21, 08:13 AM
Also, Feytouched and Half-Fey template creatures.

As a note on Fey mortality: the Fey feature articles state that a DM should decide whether Fey are mortal or immortal in his world, but the Killoren's explicit immortality strongly suggests that immortality is the default in 3.5.

All fey are immortal. They are classified as such by mortal hunter, the arbiter on mortality alongside constructs, outsiders, and undead.

Zombimode
2017-04-21, 08:32 AM
I know that Warforged don't age

That's not necessarily true. First, they do get age modifiers for middle age (iirc). Yes, they do not have a Maximum age listed, but this could also be a result that so far no Warforged has died from old age. Considering that Warforged, the House Canith Version at least, have only existed for about 30 years or so.
They are partly composed of organic matter (which could age).

It is for each individual Eberron DM to decide if Warforged can die of old age or not.

Inevitability
2017-04-21, 09:20 AM
Yes, they do not have a Maximum age listed, but this could also be a result that so far no Warforged has died from old age.

No warforged has reached middle age yet either. If that didn't stop WotC from including middle age statistics, why would it stop them from including a max age? Unless, of course, warforged have no max age.

Bronk
2017-04-21, 09:28 AM
All fey are immortal. They are classified as such by mortal hunter, the arbiter on mortality alongside constructs, outsiders, and undead.

Although that says that it's only for the purposes of the prestige class, and dryads are definitely mortal.

Venger
2017-04-21, 10:32 AM
Although that says that it's only for the purposes of the prestige class, and dryads are definitely mortal.

In the absence of any other information, it's something relevant.

Where does it say dryads are mortal?

Celestia
2017-04-21, 11:53 AM
I always assumed that fey are immortal by default, considering mythology. Though, I have also been uncertain whether or not that was actually true within the rules of D&D. In the absence of an official answer, I'll still say yes.

The Viscount
2017-04-21, 12:08 PM

The writer for Uldra forgot this and gave them a maximum age despite being LA+1 fey

That's not necessarily true. First, they do get age modifiers for middle age (iirc). Yes, they do not have a Maximum age listed, but this could also be a result that so far no Warforged has died from old age. Considering that Warforged, the House Canith Version at least, have only existed for about 30 years or so.
They are partly composed of organic matter (which could age).

It is for each individual Eberron DM to decide if Warforged can die of old age or not.

Relevant quote from ECS

Finally, it is theorized that warforged may show signs of physical deterioration after 150 years, but have no further aging effects after that point and no maximum age.

Also there are immortal races that have age categories but no maximum. Killoren go up to old, but never become venerable from immortality. Elans go all the way up to venerable.

Inevitability
2017-04-21, 12:15 PM
Where does it say dryads are mortal?

Dryads die when their tree dies, right? The tree dying from old age should trigger that as well.

Sagetim
2017-04-21, 12:20 PM
The writer for Uldra forgot this and gave them a maximum age despite being LA+1 fey

Relevant quote from ECS

Also there are immortal races that have age categories but no maximum. Killoren go up to old, but never become venerable from immortality. Elans go all the way up to venerable.

Don't forget that Elan are in the same boat. They initially were written with a maximum age in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, but it takes them so long to get to venerable (1000, as I recall) and their maximum age was written to be rolled with d1000's, that the errata just amended that to 'no maximum age'. And if you're going for an EL 0 race that can blend in with regular humanoids, Elan is the choice. You know, other than hitting middle age at 200 and all that (but that's only a detriment if you're trying to play human).

atemu1234
2017-04-21, 12:21 PM
Dryads die when their tree dies, right? The tree dying from old age should trigger that as well.

Quick, what are the age categories on a potted fern?

Venger
2017-04-21, 12:25 PM
Ugh, uldra.

That may be true, but plants do not have maximum ages.

Even ad hocing one, transplants and grafts exist, so a dryad can live as long as it wants to. They're immortal in the sense that they persist unless killed/the thing their lifeforce is bound to is killed.