PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making a merchant warlord commoner

Matrota
2017-04-20, 05:22 PM
For a 3.5e campaign I'm doing this summer, we will all be playing as level 1 commoners trying to make it in the world and become adventurers in our own right. We're all getting flat 11's on stats, but they can be changed from racial or template adjustment. Starting the game, we are allowed to choose a race or a template with a total LA of +1. We also have access to all flaws, traits, and regional feats. All books and dragon mags are open, no homebrew or 3rd party stuff.

Because commoners are literally the worst at everything, I want to make a merchant that specializes in making items to make up for our weaknesses. The second I'm able to, I plan to take class levels in artificer. I wanted some advice from you giants on what race and/or template would make the best artificer/craftsman for this situation. I've read the commoner handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?232822-The-Commoner-Handbook) and it's been a huge help in getting some ideas on what to spend money on and what sorts of feats to look out for, but I know giantitp has an incredible optimization community that might be able to help me more.

In terms of fighting style and combat, I'm planning on trying to mimic Adlet Meyer (https://youtu.be/WA_oqFRZWAk?t=96) from Rokka no Yuusha, in that while my commoner is not very strong, he's agile and crafty, utilizing any underhanded trick to win a fight, typically with gas bombs, alchemy, and traps. We will be starting the game with 100,000 gp divided among all players, and it looks like we're most likely going to have 3 players for this campaign, putting me at 33,333 gp (a crap ton for a commoner, but okay, whatever you say Mr. DM, I won't argue!)

Any advice for making a crappy character not so crappy?

Graysire
2017-04-20, 07:14 PM
What are you allowed to buy with that money?

Matrota
2017-04-20, 07:32 PM
What are you allowed to buy with that money?

Anything so long as it can be acquired with good reason. And by that I mean it likely excludes body parts and very heinous things that I don't need for being a merchant anyways. If you're asking this question due to wondering about magical items, we're completely able to buy magical items.

Graysire
2017-04-20, 10:19 PM
I can't remember the primary stats of an Artificer, but the appropriate Tome/Manual is probably worth looking in to, you can get a full +5, and have 2/3 of your cash to spend

Matrota
2017-04-20, 10:31 PM
I can't remember the primary stats of an Artificer, but the appropriate Tome/Manual is probably worth looking in to, you can get a full +5, and have 2/3 of your cash to spend

Tome of Clear Thought +5 is 137,500 gp, that's more than 4x my starting gold, not 1/3

Graysire
2017-04-21, 08:33 AM
This is what happens when I add an extra 3 >.<, apologies

Lazymancer
2017-04-21, 10:17 AM
Any advice for making a crappy character not so crappy?
1) Start with Mercantile Background (PGtF version) to have 300 gp extra.
2) Use money to hire 5 imporverished thugs bodyguards (DMG hireling rules; everyone is Warrior 1) for double pay (hazardous job): 2 gp/day in toto (don't forget food/lodging).
3) Outfit each hireling with leather armor, light crossbow with knife bayonet (CSc), 20 crossbow bolts and traveller outfit: 50 gp each, 250 gp in total.

Wait. I think I missed something.

We will be starting the game with 100,000 gp divided among all players, and it looks like we're most likely going to have 3 players for this campaign, putting me at 33,333 gp (a crap ton for a commoner, but okay, whatever you say Mr. DM, I won't argue!)
2) Use money to hire 500 mercenary leaders (Warrior 5; 3 gp/day for hazardous job): 1,500 gp/day

Ahem.

In case you are not mentally prepared to start your reign of terror immediately:
1) Go some race that grants +2 to Charisma (I'm partial to Jaebrins and you have free +1 LA)
2) Age yourself to middle-aged (Charisma 14)
3) Buy +2 Cha item (4.000 gp) => Cha 16
4) Take Apprentice (Spellcaster) feat to get UMD and Hardened Criminal to take 10 on UMD.
5) Put 4 skill points in UMD (your UMD check is 17)
6) Get magic item with +8 to UMD: 6.400 gp (10.400 total), now you can beat 25 DC any time
7) Spend money on minor schemas (MoE): 7 1st-level, 4 2nd-level, and 2 3rd-level schemas cost 24.600 gp (total of 7/4/2 spells per day)
8) Pretend to be 6th-level Sorcerer.

You should have 333 gp remaining. Proceed to the #2 of initial suggestion (hire 5 bodyguards).

Matrota
2017-04-21, 10:59 AM
In case you are not mentally prepared to start your reign of terror immediately:
1) Go some race that grants +2 to Charisma (I'm partial to Jaebrins and you have free +1 LA)
2) Age yourself to middle-aged (Charisma 14)
3) Buy +2 Cha item (4.000 gp) => Cha 16
4) Take Apprentice (Spellcaster) feat to get UMD and Hardened Criminal to take 10 on UMD.
5) Put 4 skill points in UMD (your UMD check is 17)
6) Get magic item with +8 to UMD: 6.400 gp (10.400 total), now you can beat 25 DC any time
7) Spend money on minor schemas (MoE): 7 1st-level, 4 2nd-level, and 2 3rd-level schemas cost 24.600 gp (total of 7/4/2 spells per day)
8) Pretend to be 6th-level Sorcerer.

You should have 333 gp remaining. Proceed to the #2 of initial suggestion (hire 5 bodyguards).

This the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Thank you, definitely able to handle this. I think I'm gonna go Cansin (lesser) from Dragon 297 with the fire-souled template from Dragon 314 for a total of +6 Cha and +2 Int at LA+1, which frees up the 4k +2 Cha item for something else if need be, such as masterwork tools and alchemy stuff.

EDIT: I misread the fire-souled template, Read CR+1 not LA+3. Guess I'll be using that enhancement bonus item now haha.

I will say though, not sure if I'm gonna go for the schemas as I plan to be a crafter, but the recommendactions will help me with my crafting checks/UMD for sure.

Matrota
2017-04-21, 11:00 AM
This is what happens when I add an extra 3 >.<, apologies

No worries, it's a simple mistake!

ATHATH
2017-04-21, 12:46 PM
May I recommend being an Athasian Human? It's LA +1, gives you a bunch of PP and 4 powers (one of each level from 1-4) over several levels, still keeps that Human bonus feat, and gives you a nice personality trait for you to roleplay (Athasian Humans come from the Dark Sun campaign setting, which is basically the world of Mad Max but without the technology and everything is Psionic (EVERYTHING. See that bear? He's Psionic. That bird? Psionic. etc.)). They might get a bonus to 2 stats of their choice, but I can't remember if they do. Astral Construct would be both flavorful and powerful.

Lazymancer
2017-04-21, 01:28 PM
Given your intent to go Artificer, that seemed to be the most logical choice. Out of three feats only Apprentice doesn't benefit Artificer, but it puts you on the right track with UMD and at later levels it can be exchanged for Mentor (cohort).

I will say though, not sure if I'm gonna go for the schemas as I plan to be a crafter, but the recommendactions will help me with my crafting checks/UMD for sure.
Well, given you asking questions, suggesting 50+ scrolls and 50+ types of weird stuff seemed a bit impractical. Schemas are much easier and reliable. But if you can handle the data, go for it.

If you missed it: Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101)

I misread the fire-souled template, Read CR+1 not LA+3. Guess I'll be using that enhancement bonus item now haha.
You don't need it. People tend to overestimate influence of stats. 16 Cha (which you will get between race, aging, and item bonus) is enough. If you really want to be a cheapskate, there is Magic-Blooded template (literally, Spark) from Dragon #306 - it grants +2 Cha for +0 LA.

@ATHATH: yes, they do. +2 to two ability scores. They are from Dragon #319

Matrota
2017-04-21, 02:06 PM
May I recommend being an Athasian Human?

I actually had my eye on them for a while, but figured I might benefit more if I took the lesser cansin with an LA+1 template. However, after looking, I can't find any LA+1 templates that I'd really benefit from. Athasian Human might be the best bet. After all, with flaws, level 1 feat, regional feat, and human bonus feat, that's 5 feats to pick!

Matrota
2017-04-21, 04:47 PM
If you missed it: Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101)

This is everything I could have wished for and more.

barakaka
2017-04-21, 06:41 PM
I'm betting I'm the only person here who's seen that anime lol. PM me and let me know what you thought of the ending haha.

The 2nd link in my sig suggests a bunch of alchemical items which could be flashy and most are combat worthy at least in lower levels.
Apologies for some of it not being sourced, none of it is dragon mag material though.

As well, you need an Alchemical Gold (Magic of Faerun) Alchemy Blade (Magic of Eberron) with a Triple Weapon Capsule Retainer (Complete Adventurer), Hilt Hollow, Wand Chamber and Oil Chamber (all Dungeonscape).
You'll know where to put the caltrops :smallcool:. I'd make it a +1 and attach a Weapon Augment Crystal (Magic Item Compendium) of Fiendslayer to be flavourful, or Witchlight Reservoir/Energy Assault: Cold if you want damage.

The alchemical tooth doesn't really spray out oil like Adlet does, so that sucks. I remember seeing something which accomplishes this somewhere though, so don't lose hope.

Bag of Endless Caltrops is in Magic Item Compendium along with a whole bunch of other goodies in the Tools section designed for this exact character style.

Let me know if this helped, or if you have further adjustments for the Alchemy Blade.