PDA

View Full Version : Spells to deal with constructs?

atemu1234
2017-04-20, 06:56 PM
What are some spells that help deal with constructs? The next dungeon our DM is putting us up against is construct-heavy, and we've had issues with it in the past. For reference, my character has spells as a 14th-level Wizard, but is currently fifteenth level, and has a decent amount of gold to spend.

flappeercraft
2017-04-20, 07:02 PM
Golems might be immune to magic but they are not immune to the laws of Sir Isaac Newton. Use reverse gravity

Gildedragon
2017-04-20, 07:11 PM
Buy some rust monsters, put them in stasis, destasis and have them go at monsters.

Wall of Stone

Sneak past them: enveloping pit the party and greater invisibility through them.

prototype00
2017-04-20, 08:24 PM
The Orb line of Conjuration Spells don't allow for spell resistance and so can be good for putting down constructs quick.

You have to roll to hit, but golems aren't well known for their touch AC are they?

Venger
2017-04-20, 08:33 PM
anything that doesn't allow sr will do just fine, such as the aforementioned orb of x spells. golems have terrible ac and saves, so just plain old hit point damage will put paid to most of them.

a personal favorite of mine is doom scarabs. the damage is mediocre (no sr), but if you think you can beat the golems' sr, the spell gives you temp hp for each monster you clip, which is pretty cool.

if the golems are mindless, just give yourselves a 22 or higher bonus to hide/ms and walk past them to bypass the encounter.

depending on your party makeup you might not want to blast the golems to death yourself so you don't overshadow other members. in that case, buffs for your friends to help beat the golems to death such as the bite of the werex line on your brute, or if you have a party member to cast murderous mist on the golems (my favorite way to blind constructs and undead) are also useful tools.

Deophaun
2017-04-20, 08:58 PM
Golems might be immune to magic but they are not immune to the laws of Sir Isaac Newton. Use reverse gravity
Funnily enough, they're susceptible to dispel magic being that dispel magic is SR:No and the description for golems says that they are magic items.

Zephonim
2017-04-20, 09:06 PM
Rusting Grasp works for Iron golems very well

Venger
2017-04-20, 09:27 PM
Rusting Grasp works for Iron golems very well

1) it's a druid spell and op is a wizard
2) melee is not where you want to be with a golem as a wizard

atemu1234
2017-04-20, 09:33 PM
depending on your party makeup you might not want to blast the golems to death yourself so you don't overshadow other members. in that case, buffs for your friends to help beat the golems to death such as the bite of the werex line on your brute, or if you have a party member to cast murderous mist on the golems (my favorite way to blind constructs and undead) are also useful tools.

The last time I tried a buffing position, they almost got themselves killed. I'm gonna be ready to blast my way out this time.

Venger
2017-04-21, 12:39 AM
The last time I tried a buffing position, they almost got themselves killed. I'm gonna be ready to blast my way out this time.

yeah, god wizard does assume the rest of your party's on a similar op level.

you said you cast "as a wizard" . are you a death master or something weird? if you've got access to other lists there's other stuff we might suggest as well.

Fizban
2017-04-21, 02:29 AM
Figure out what you're actually fighting and prepare for that. Golems aren't the same as animated objects aren't the same as etc. Golems have specific spell weaknesses and a cheap amulet in the DMG (Scarab, Golembane) that breaks their DR. Most non-golem constructs aren't any harder to fight than any other bruiser. Effigies are just construct versions of existing creatures with a bit of DR/adamantine. Elder Eidolons are like super-effigies with golem magic immunity, and their own golem magic weakness (but still aren't Golems). Animated Objects are weaksauce.

Constructs have all bad saves. They are immune to fort saves for things that don't work on objects, which leaves them vulnerable to Disintegrate but few other fort save spells. They rely on sight by default, which makes them vulnerable to blinding effects that don't use a fort save such as the eminent Glitterdust as well as Pyrotechnics and Flashburst. They can be bogged down conjured problems such as Web or just simple tanglefoot bags. Dropping them in pits of mud with Tramsmute Rock to Mud is probably effective, as well as being a common vulnerability of stone based golems. Most construct-specific spells aren't actually all that good.

As with all brusiers, the most efficient strategy is to buff your own bruiser while debuffing the target. Haste the fighter, slow the construct, add other penalties to taste.

Professor Chimp
2017-04-21, 04:19 AM
The Eberron Campaign Setting book has Disable Construct, which is basically Harm for constructs i.e. 10 dmg/cl. It is a 6th level Artificer infusion tho, so probably of no use to you unless you or someone else in your group has a good UMD.

There's also a couple of anti-construct spells in Pathfinder. Disable Construct (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/disable-construct/) and Control Construct (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/control-construct/) are respectively a 3rd and 7th level Wizard spell. They're nothing amazing, but if your GM allows backporting them, they may find some use.

atemu1234
2017-04-21, 12:02 PM
yeah, god wizard does assume the rest of your party's on a similar op level.

you said you cast "as a wizard" . are you a death master or something weird? if you've got access to other lists there's other stuff we might suggest as well.

Just a Wizard/Fleshwarper.

The Viscount
2017-04-21, 12:26 PM
a personal favorite of mine is doom scarabs. the damage is mediocre (no sr), but if you think you can beat the golems' sr, the spell gives you temp hp for each monster you clip, which is pretty cool.

You can't overcome the sr of golems for the secondary effect of doom scarabs because the check automatically fails.

If the golems are mindless they will be very susceptible to distraction from illusions.

Also most golems cannot fly, so as long as you can clear their reach you can safely blast them.

Doctor Awkward
2017-04-21, 04:42 PM
Any illusion.

But for a few exotic brands in the later monster manuals, golems don't think. They will fall for the same parlor tricks (silent image wall to cover your escape, a fake adventurer to swing at) over and over and over again.