PDA

View Full Version : Sort-of-new Monk Archetype Idea from Vainglory

Noxis
2017-04-20, 09:03 PM
I came up with the idea of creating an Archetype for the Monk class based entirely off of the hero Vox from the game Vainglory. I think I could make it work since the Way of the Sun Soul also changes the monks unarmed strikes to ranged attacks. The problem is that I don't quite know as to how to go about doing his damage output. I don't want to make it to that he clears entire rooms of monsters on his own in one turn, but I also don't want him to be really weak in comparison to the rest of the party. Any ideas as to how I can go about converting his abilities in-game to D&D 5e without completely changing his mechanics?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-21, 10:15 AM
I'm not familiar with the source; what's his main schtick?

Noxis
2017-04-21, 05:29 PM
I'm not familiar with the source; what's his main schtick?

Vainglory is a MOBA so Vox has 2 abilities, 1 ultimate ability, and 1 passive perk. I took these from the vainglory website.

HEROIC PERK
JULIA'S SONG
Vox's basic attacks also deal crystal power as bonus damage. When attacking enemies with Resonance, this damage will bounce to two nearby enemies and refresh Resonance on that target.

SONIC ZOOM
Vox dashes in the targeted direction, throwing two attacks to the nearest enemy marked by Resonance (prioritizing heroes).

PULSE
Vox emits a sonic pulse that echoes off nearby enemies and applies Resonance. The pulse applies a slow that is significantly stronger near its center. Each upgrade to Pulse increases the damage Vox's basic & bouncing attacks deal to targets with Resonance.

WAIT FOR IT [ULTIMATE]
Vox fires an ultrasonic wave that applies Resonance to enemies in its path and refreshes all Resonance. Shortly after, a wide shockwave explodes along the same path, dealing crystal damage and silencing enemies. Striking enemy heroes with the shockwave will also cause Resonance to bounce.

So basically is bread and butter is his ability to apply Resonance on targets to allow him to deal damage to 3 targets with a single basic attack. What I would like to know is how I can go about balancing his damage output so he doesn't come off extremely powerful.
Also according to his lore (not an ability in game) he has the power to basically suck up all the sound around him and silence everything. I was wondering if there was a way I could implement this into D&D.