PDA

View Full Version : 'get Back In The Fiery Water!'

blackout
2007-07-30, 12:39 AM
OK, so, my group is officially in an Eberron campaign right now. Just wandering around, doing stuff, and we somehow end up in a pond, underwater....completely submerged, hiding from goblins. So, these goblins we're supposed to be fighting, they pour OIL on the little pond we're hiding in, and then light it on fire. So, we can't go up, or we get burned, and we can't stay underwater, or we drown. And even if we make it to the shore alive, the goblins are gonna be right there waiting for us. I'm tellin' ya, Tucker's Kobolds must've died nearby, and these goblins are channeling their spirits or something, because we are being OWNED.

Gralamin
2007-07-30, 12:40 AM
You'll be okay, fire only does 1d6 damage a round after all.
Your mistake was hiding.

blackout
2007-07-30, 12:42 AM
Well, the party is currently spell-less, and our HP was whittled away by the goblins' pet wolves, we either ran through a gauntlet of traps, or hid in the pond, which happens to be murky. We figured 'hey, they won't know what's going on! Their goblins!' :smallannoyed: Your right, our mistake was hiding.

Dervag
2007-07-30, 02:01 AM
You wouldn't happen to know if your DM has been reading up on military history of the past sixty to seventy years, would you?

White phosphorus presents real people with a hellishly similar problem. It burns like crazy, and bits of it can get stuck in you. Immersion in water puts it out, but as soon as you get above the surface it reignites. NOT good.

Serpentine
2007-07-30, 05:59 AM
Maybe swirl the water with a staff or sword to clear a space to breathe, escape, and/or fight back?

Morty
2007-07-30, 06:17 AM
I'd say your DM plays goblins like they should be played, i.e inelligent. They're often described as "cunning" or "living by wits rather than muscles", and are overall not any less intelligent than elves or humans yet usually they just charge with spears and clubs and get splattered.
I honestly don't know what you should be doing here. What characters does your party consist? Overall you may try to find the gap in the fire where oil did not go when goblins spilled it.

Dausuul
2007-07-30, 07:25 AM
Well, the party is currently spell-less, and our HP was whittled away by the goblins' pet wolves, we either ran through a gauntlet of traps, or hid in the pond, which happens to be murky. We figured 'hey, they won't know what's going on! Their goblins!' :smallannoyed: Your right, our mistake was hiding.

Well, the first thing I would do is go over everybody's character sheet with a fine-tooth comb, looking for any special abilities or tricks they might have forgotten about that could help you. It's always worth a shot. Even 0-level spells might be useful--perhaps mage hand could clear a patch of water big enough to get out without being burned.

Failing that... well, as you say, you can't stay where you are or you'll drown, so that means you have to leave. If you can't find any underground tunnels leading out of the pond, then I suggest grouping together and bursting out all at once. Have the party tank overrun any goblins that stand in the way; try to break through their lines and then run like hell.

You may take losses, but don't stop for any reason. Depending on your level and your DM, you may or may not be able to retrieve your friends' bodies later and get them rezzed... but by the sound of it, trying to help your fallen comrades right now will just result in a TPK.

Quincunx
2007-07-30, 11:40 AM
0. Those who aren't wearing armor strip.
0.5. Tie clothes into makeshift rope.

If you have a rope, skip to step 1.

1. Tie rope into a circle.
2. Person with some HP to spare bunches rope in fist. Others grab hold of trailing loops.
3. Rope-grabber breaks surface of water and pulls most of the rope to the surface. Others spread out underwater and pull the rope into a circle from which you can exit. This makeshift boom should hold back the oil for a few rounds until burnt through.

If mage hand is available, pop up some "breathing tubes" (broken reeds) at one end of the pond while exiting the other, or similar.

TheLogman
2007-07-30, 01:11 PM
Oil fires only deal 1d3 according to the Player's manual, can each of you take around 3 or so damage per square feet till the lend of the lake, and still be able to fight the Goblins? If not, oil burns for only 2 rounds outside of a Lantern, so even if the goblins used 3 or even 4 pints of oil per 5 feet of the lake, you guys can hold your breath that long, since the rules state that without making any rolls or checks, any character can hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to twice their Constitution score.

So basically, if there is a TON of oil on the lake, (I'm talking like 10 pints per 5 square feet of the lake) then you will HAVE to brave the 3 damage per 5 feet, but if there is less than 10 pints per 5 square feet, then the entire party can easily hold their breath without even making any checks.