PDA

View Full Version : Winged Template

Dhavaer
2007-07-30, 01:16 AM
Which book is it in?

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-30, 01:20 AM
Which book is it in?

Savage Species. It's 3.0 so I don't know if it showed up anywhere updated.

Dhavaer
2007-07-30, 01:38 AM
Thanks for that.

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-30, 01:50 AM
No problem! :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-30, 07:21 AM
Savage Species. It's 3.0 so I don't know if it showed up anywhere updated.
What about it needs updating? You get wings and a few changes to ability scores. That's about it.

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-30, 11:00 AM
The only thing I can think of is the fly speed is a little unusual for 3.5ed. Normally it would give you a flight speed of your land speed or double your land speed. Plus I don't think very many winged creatures get perfect manueverability, but that's just what stands out to me. I'd still use it as is, I just mean that I had no idea if it had shown up in a 3.5 source or not.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-31, 09:19 AM
Looking quickly through the template, it should probably be double base land speed(note that the base creature is Small, with a fly speed of 40 feet, while the template says to "add 20 feet"). Manoevrability should probably be tied to size rather than Dexterity(Sidenote: all Dragons have "Clumsy" at worst, and their Dex never falls below 10).

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-31, 11:46 AM
The +2 LA Half Fey template in Fiend Folio has wings, ability enhancements and spellcasting ability by hd/level.

Quietus
2007-07-31, 11:53 AM
Looking quickly through the template, it should probably be double base land speed(note that the base creature is Small, with a fly speed of 40 feet, while the template says to "add 20 feet"). Manoevrability should probably be tied to size rather than Dexterity(Sidenote: all Dragons have "Clumsy" at worst, and their Dex never falls below 10).

So you're saying a Winged dragon is better than a non-Winged one, that has wings?

Ramza00
2007-07-31, 12:06 PM
So you're saying a Winged dragon is better than a non-Winged one, that has wings?

Wigned Creature can't be added to a creature who already has a fly speed.
Wigned Creature can't be applied to dragons, only animal, giant, humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or vermin. Thus no Aberration, Construct, Dragon, Elemental, Fey, Magical Beast, Ooze, Outsider, Plant or Undead can receive this template.

Person_Man
2007-07-31, 12:59 PM
FYI, Raptorian and Dragonborn give you wings with no level adjustment. Dragonwraught Kobolds can also get wings with a feat. So there's really no reason to take the Winged Template. Is there?

Ramza00
2007-07-31, 01:39 PM
FYI, Raptorian and Dragonborn give you wings with no level adjustment. Dragonwraught Kobolds can also get wings with a feat. So there's really no reason to take the Winged Template. Is there?
In normal play with no la buyoff yes. With LA buyoff and high enough level it isn't a bad choice (stats, and perfect flight sign me up). It is also good on the other side of a gestalt.

Person_Man
2007-07-31, 02:35 PM
In normal play with no la buyoff yes. With LA buyoff and high enough level it isn't a bad choice (stats, and perfect flight sign me up). It is also good on the other side of a gestalt.

Hmmm.... Perfect maneuverability? Wasn't aware of that. OK, with LA buyoff, then it might be worth it. Is it +1 or +2 LA?

Leon
2007-08-01, 11:55 PM

Yeah, we really want to play one of these 3 races all the time

Quietus
2007-08-02, 01:06 AM
Hmmm.... Perfect maneuverability? Wasn't aware of that. OK, with LA buyoff, then it might be worth it. Is it +1 or +2 LA?

+2, but its speed boost isn't bad, and it only takes a 17 dex to get perfect maneuverability - of which, the template provides 4.

Ramza00
2007-08-02, 01:29 AM
+2, but its speed boost isn't bad, and it only takes a 17 dex to get perfect maneuverability - of which, the template provides 4.

+4 dex +2 wis. Need to get 17 dex but 4 is from template, and items will also boost it. Also it is a nice speed boost for with perfect manuerbility you will always be flying even if it is a few feet above the ground.

TheOOB
2007-08-02, 01:56 AM
As silly as I think dex-based maneuverability is, I think the template is balanced for +1 LA. When you think of it, it's little more then a perma fly spell with a few attribute boosts. Sure it's better then say, plane touched(but they are only a step from LA +0 anyways), and flying is annoying at low levels, but its nothing worth two levels.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-04, 05:28 AM
If you want more fancy, go Half-Fey from Fiend Folio. Pretty solid fly speed/manoevrability, with some specials thrown in as well(to make up for the extra 1-2 LA over Winged).