PDA

View Full Version : house maker,map maker

j!nx
2017-04-21, 09:03 AM
hello wise ones another question here from 'ol j!nx, I am looking for a map building site that is good for houses and large buildings, the reason be is in the next coming games the players will be going through some gang houses and safe houses as well as some warehouses to eradicate the pale dog gang, I know drawing everything is the fun and creative part which I do every time but I was looking for something to help speed this process up so I can focus on other areas at the moment, now before everybody throws me the "there's a thread for this already" comment I have not found one the only one I can find is for "hex grid" which is not cutting the cheese so I am asking for other peoples opinions for a good site or ideas of how to accelerate this project, I've been quite busy (out of game) with life and time has slipped through my paws and I am down to 3 days before the game session with much to still do, suggestions anyone?

NOhara24
2017-04-21, 11:51 AM
I feel your pain. I also feel the pain of many online map makers are poorly designed, needlessly complex or both. This is what I do:

I have a big pad of grid paper and the squares are large enough to fit figurines. I do the line art, and then for texturing I just google images of what I want (dirt, cobblestone, grass, cement) and cut them to shape where I want. It saves me a lot of time.

Also, consider if your players NEED a map for each battle. Is there a battle that's happening in a small room with no features? They likely won't need a custom map for that round then.

Maximum Carnage
2017-04-21, 11:55 AM
I'm also interested in such a program if it exists, except for one little detail: I need a program that can be transposed into Roll20. So consider this posting interest, or a bump, whatever floats your boat.

Keral
2017-04-21, 11:58 AM
uhm, not sure if it's helpful, but are you familiar with maptools?

If not, it's a software for playing online which has a graphical interface with a grid where you can design your maps. In your case you could design the map with it and then screenshot and print them.
The "hard" part is getting the image files for objects and whatnot. Maptool comes with some basic stuff but then you can easily (google) find archives with various images to use. And anyhow you can use any image from the net.

This might prove faster than manually drawing your own, especially if you mostly need houses/building, once you get the hang of it it gets really easy (provided you don't need a too high amount of detail and you're willing to compromise with the images you've got).