PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Module - Escape from the Keep

nickl_2000
2017-04-21, 10:22 AM
I'm creating a set of one shots for a group playing D&D 5e. My original idea is that they would be one night modules that have an overarching storyline. The group is required to be monster races.

I would like thoughts on the module and house rules. Also, in the document you can see the ideas for future modules, if you have thoughts on others I would love them as well

Here is the link to my google docs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lV87LjZgmaNhR8qvptPhVGnToZdXPQD71zQqdNfqL pA

Thank you!

TrinculoLives
2017-04-22, 10:59 AM
Hey thanks for sharing.

The instructions were pretty clear with the exception of the item-swapping guidelines.

What about some mention of PC introductions at the beginning? A bunch of monsters locked up in a cell together is a golden opportunity for some juicy roleplay.

One thing I like in official publications is that monsters that you can look up are typed in bold, like the guard.

Perhaps it would be better to have the Thieves' Tools stowed in the guard's room? A confiscation perhaps from a former prisoner.

That's all I can read right now. It's a tad straight-and-narrow if you know what I mean. The checks that would lead the party in the "right" direction are some of them ridiculously low (DC 8 to find a secret door??), while some doors simply cannot be opened.

There are several DCs that are not associated with a skill or ability as well. They'll just say, "DC 15 to break down door."

nickl_2000
2017-04-22, 12:33 PM
Thank you for reading and commenting. I'm new to DMing (only played 5e for a few years) and have never created modules myself. I really appreciate the ideas so the first time doesn't flop horribly.

Hey thanks for sharing.

The instructions were pretty clear with the exception of the item-swapping guidelines.

Here's my goal. Each player can play around a little with builds and play different monsters. It gives them a chance to try different things out. However, I'm trying to avoid the situation where there is only 1 set of full plate available in the adventure so far. So, if Throgg the Fighter isn't being played this module we just give it to the cleric. Then, during the next module they just give it back to the fighters since the cleric isn't there.

What about some mention of PC introductions at the beginning? A bunch of monsters locked up in a cell together is a golden opportunity for some juicy roleplay.

Sure, I can add that in. For my group that wasn't needed, but it's easy enough to add in.

One thing I like in official publications is that monsters that you can look up are typed in bold, like the guard.
Easy enough to do. I can easily make that change for everyone's ease.

Perhaps it would be better to have the Thieves' Tools stowed in the guard's room? A confiscation perhaps from a former prisoner.

A previous prisoner left those there to help other break out after they had. Hence why they were hidden. It's also a reward for PCs who search the other cells. Then they can avoid breaking down the doors. Are you thinking stowing it in the guards room hidden so they get them more easily?

That's all I can read right now. It's a tad straight-and-narrow if you know what I mean. The checks that would lead the party in the "right" direction are some of them ridiculously low (DC 8 to find a secret door??), while some doors simply cannot be opened.

There are several DCs that are not associated with a skill or ability as well. They'll just say, "DC 15 to break down door."

I will fix the ability listing. I was probably getting more tired at this point and assumed I would know it when I ran the module. However, it will help for others. As for the secret door, well it's a very poorly held secret. The leader of the keep uses it often and makes no attempt to hide it. So, I guess in that case the search DC really doesn't need to exist.

As for the barred doors, those are the rooms of the knights and leader of the keep. They are going to be the early BBEGs in the adventure. In another module, I an going to lead the PCs to a point where they are pissed enough at the Noble and the knights that they come back and capture the keep. If you have a better idea of how to handle this, I am certainly interested and would love to hear them.

I'm new to DMing and this is my first attempt at module writing, which is why it is somewhat straight and narrow. It makes it easier for me to DM, and makes the module run faster. This is intended to be a fill in module when the normal DM was to busy to prepare or someone in sick (i.e. one of our players is out for a month right now).

TrinculoLives
2017-04-22, 09:04 PM
A previous prisoner left those there to help other break out after they had. Hence why they were hidden. It's also a reward for PCs who search the other cells. Then they can avoid breaking down the doors. Are you thinking stowing it in the guards room hidden so they get them more easily?
Not really, I just thought it would be odd that a prison cell would have the means of escape hidden inside of it. Perhaps add: "A small scrap of paper is rolled up inside the Thieves' Tools. It reads, "Use and pass 'em on. Regards, ___________".

It'd be fun if whoever left the note showed up in a later part of the module.

As for the barred doors, those are the rooms of the knights and leader of the keep. They are going to be the early BBEGs in the adventure. In another module, I an going to lead the PCs to a point where they are pissed enough at the Noble and the knights that they come back and capture the keep. If you have a better idea of how to handle this, I am certainly interested and would love to hear them.

Are you saying that the knights are currently behind those doors when the party passes by, and so you don't want the players to be able to fight them yet?
My approach is more that I enjoy dangling certain death in front of my players to see if they're foolish enough to jump for it.

If I understad it rightly, what you basically want is to steer the PCs away from entering the rooms where the Knights and their commander are hanging out. All you have to do is inform them, somehow, that these doors lead towards heavily-armed men. Maybe there's a sign on the door or they can hear deep, powerful voices through it. Or perhaps they just know that these would be the rooms that are suitable for a knight.

That way, if they still want to go through the door and confront the knights, they will simply face the consequences of their actions. Steering them with such certainty towards one specific end is usually less interesting than offering choices.

nickl_2000
2017-04-23, 01:16 PM
Not really, I just thought it would be odd that a prison cell would have the means of escape hidden inside of it. Perhaps add: "A small scrap of paper is rolled up inside the Thieves' Tools. It reads, "Use and pass 'em on. Regards, ___________".

It'd be fun if whoever left the note showed up in a later part of the module.

Nice idea, I will probably do something like. "Provided for your use and pleasure by the local thieves guild. After you use them to escape, find us and we will discuss possible membership"

Are you saying that the knights are currently behind those doors when the party passes by, and so you don't want the players to be able to fight them yet?
My approach is more that I enjoy dangling certain death in front of my players to see if they're foolish enough to jump for it.

If I understand it rightly, what you basically want is to steer the PCs away from entering the rooms where the Knights and their commander are hanging out. All you have to do is inform them, somehow, that these doors lead towards heavily-armed men. Maybe there's a sign on the door or they can hear deep, powerful voices through it. Or perhaps they just know that these would be the rooms that are suitable for a knight.

That way, if they still want to go through the door and confront the knights, they will simply face the consequences of their actions. Steering them with such certainty towards one specific end is usually less interesting than offering choices.

Yes, you are completely right. I want to make some big nasties that they won't be able to finish off at this point. Since they are supposed to be running from the city and the keep instead of taking it over.

My eventual goal is that the PCs find their way to set of Goblin caves and join it. Then take it over and cause problems for the local human population (turning the "traditional" campaigns upside down, so you will raid a few caravans, attack a local LG temple, and in general cause problem). Eventually the one of the Knights who lives will recruit a party that he leads to attack the Goblin caves that are the PCs home.

nickl_2000
2017-04-23, 01:44 PM
Updated from suggestions and comments. I also think that I will lock down the city gates no matter what. Make the PCs find a different way rather than the main door. Climb the walls, use the rope they found, use spells the completely destroy the gates, start a fire in the city to distract the guard enough that they can open the doors. Let them be themselves and go nuts.

I will probably be playing this in about 3 weeks. So, I will make notes to how it goes and make updates