PDA

View Full Version : [template]He's aliiive!

Winged One
2007-07-30, 05:28 AM
Fleshbound creature
Many practicioners of necromancy are driven to their art by a desire to ressurect a friend or loved one. A Fleshbound creature represents what they would call a sucess, although some might call it a failure(including the fleshbound creature themselves. Ingrates).

Creating a fleshbound creature
"Fleshbound creature" is an acquired template that can be added to any dead creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A fleshbound creature has all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to undead. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice
Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Armor Class
Unchanged.

Attack
A fleshbound creature has a natural slam attack that does damage appropriate for it's size.

Full Attack
As the base creature, plus a slam attack.

Damage
A fleshbound creature has a natural slam attack that does damage appropriate for it's size.

Special Attacks
As base creature.

Spells
As base creature.

Special Qualities
A fleshbound creature retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains those described below.

Constructed(ex)
A fleshbound creature may be healed by a repair damage spell. Negative energy effects heal half the damage they would normally heal. A fleshbound creature is treated as a construct by effects that specificly target constructs.

Stitched up(ex)
A fleshbound creature that is not under the effects of a gentle repose spell is constantly falling apart. Whenever it attacks, especially with it's natural slam attack, takes any other strenuous action, gets strongly agitated, or the DM thinks it would be funny, a part of it's body determined by the DM may fall off. There is a 50% chance of something falling off when attacking normally, a 75% chance when using the slam attack given by this template, or a 10% chance if taking some other action that would cause a character with negative hitpoints and the Diehard feat to lose hitpoints. If a body part falls off during combat, there is a 60% chance that it is one that was used in the action that caused it. If the DM often thinks that this is funny, they should get rid of all other conditions for body parts to fall off. A fleshbound creature is not destroyed if it's head is seperated from it's body, either because of this effect or otherwise. A repair damage spell or a DC 15 craft(stitching) check can restore a detached member.

Abilities
Adjust from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Dex -2, Cha -2. Being undead, a fleshbound creature has no Constitution score.

Skills
As base creature.

Organization
Solitary or research group(1 character capable of applying this template, 1-5 fleshbound creatures, and 0-8 flesh golems)

Challenge Rating
As the base creature

Treasure
As base creature

Alignment
As base creature.

Advancement
By character class.

Level Adjustment
Same as the base creature

Construction
Unlike most other undead, a fleshbound creature is constructed in the manner of a golem. The pieces of a fleshbound creature must come from a minimum of 2 dead bodies similar enough to the base creature(DM discression, but something of the same race is always similar enough) with an intact equivalent of every organ the base creature posessed. The base creatures brain must be whole and intact(a magical glass jar capable of preserving the brain indefinately has a base price of 3000 gp, and a gentle repose spell may be used if you feel boring). A special laboratory involving a stone slab, a very large switch which must be thrown by a being named Igor, and a lightning rod, all of which(besides Igor, who must be found or constructed seperately) are worth 300 gp and may be reused, is required for the animation ritual. Also, 15 gp worth of thread, a sewing needle, a DC 13 Heal or Craft(leatherworking) check, and at least 5 DC 15 Craft(stitching) checks are needed to construct the body. Note that applying this template to a creature involves casting a spell with the evil descriptor.

CL 8th; Craft Construct, animate dead, lightning bolt or call lightning; Price 9000 gp; Cost 4500 gp + 360 XP.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 06:26 AM
The Rotting ability is vague at best. How about the following:

Rotting (Ex): The dead always have an expiration date. The more damaged the revived carcass the more quickly it will disintegrate. Reanimated corpses only last for a few months at most. The creature loses 1HD for every 2 weeks of existence. Once they reach 0HD, they collapse into a useless pile of rotten flesh.

This is adapted from the Preserved Zombie thread. Permission granted for use by original author (I.E. me).

Winged One
2007-07-30, 03:59 PM
I made the Stitched Up ability more specific, and changed it's name from Rotting since I didn't realize that there was already a special ability by that name. Any more thoughts?

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 10:23 PM
Well, I wrote the Rotting ability, so it's far from official; you could still call yours that. I'm not gonna sue :smallwink:

As for the critter, I'd like to see an example worked up, to look at how it interacts with normal creature abilities.

Serania
2007-07-31, 02:14 AM
I want to play something like this, but I'd have to reduce the Stitched Flesh mostly to the "When the DM thinks it would be funny". It makes me think of Sally from The Nightmare before Christmas, which is one of my all-time favorite movies.

JackMage666
2007-07-31, 05:02 AM
Despite the drawbacks, it's still an Undead creature, and an intelligent one at that. I do believe that it still warrants a +1 LA, just due to the many immunities, and also because Stitched Up can be easily remedied by a Gentle Repose spell (or an constant effect amulet, which should be rather cheap thanks to the duration).

But it is awesome, even in it's actual simplicity.

EDIT - Also, I realize now, it is also a cheap revive (sorta) spell for partys as low as 5th level (or lower if you have scrolls). Maybe you should up the price a bit.