PDA

View Full Version : First set of dice

Redblade
2007-07-30, 06:51 AM
I'm not not quite sure this is something that merits a new thread. But its a story I wanted to tell.

So I have been interested in DnD for a while now. I have played quite a few small campaigns with a few friends but we always used on-line dice rollers and rules resources since we didn't actually own any of the stuff. But I finally decided to cough up and start buying the things. So naturally I started with some gaming dice, I shopped around on-line and bought a set.

So they finally arrived today, and I take my first ever 20D out of the little leather bag and roll it... it bounces once or twice and then my first ever roll of my first ever gaming die lands on my first natural 20.

I think that's a good sign.... I hope to do well in this hobby. :smallbiggrin:

Jimbob
2007-07-30, 06:56 AM
Just rememeber one thing; look after your dice and the dice will look after you when it really counts :smallsmile:

CaptainSam
2007-07-30, 07:01 AM
Remember another thing; dice are fickle, they will turn on you when you most need them.

Overlord
2007-07-30, 07:53 AM
Also, don't forget that they will run and leap under the table at the least opportune moment.

nerulean
2007-07-30, 08:17 AM
Your new dice are clearly eager to please! A good sign. Get them into play as soon as possible, though: don't want to get them used to making rolls that have no consequence.

Soepvork
2007-07-30, 09:12 AM
This reminds me of the first time I had to roll stats:

method: 4d6, drop one
My very first role: 6,6,5,6, giving me my first (and almost only) natural 18.

Redblade
2007-07-30, 09:28 AM
I think there going to be in play for the first time in a few days. For now I'm just letting them meditate on what they did.

...And wondering if there's a way to give dice positive reinforcement...

ranger89
2007-07-30, 10:04 AM
When it comes to my dice, I'm insanely supertitious. If the rolls aren't going my way during a gaming session, I'll perform a "purifying ritual" which involves washing the dice in the sink with soap and hot hot hot water. Works like a charm (usually). I also keep cerain dice sets (like my evil red DM dice) segregated from the general dice poplulation.

Anyone else as supertitious as I am?

Redblade: Good luck with your new dice! May they roll well. :smallsmile:

Kyeudo
2007-07-30, 10:12 AM
I don't do anything superstitious, I just have found that of the 6-7 full sets of dice I have, only 1 ever rolls well. It seems to like rolling max damage criticals all the time. Guess it enjoys carnage.

Jimbob
2007-07-30, 10:31 AM
Ranger89 im so glad that I am not the only supertitiuos one here. I have 6 sets of dice, 5 for dming and 1 set that I only use for playing, at the start of the night I get my dice out and let them breathe a couple of pratice rolls then I chose my best set. But if every thing goes really wrong I have my killer set of dice. This is my purple set, and they never go wrong for me.

Quietus
2007-07-30, 10:53 AM
I've got a set of dice that always rolls AGAINST the players... even if I'm the player, they love their nat 1's. When I'm rolling as a DM, however, they like to crit... They nearly fed a level 3 archer-ranger a 54 damage crit last time they were used for DM'ing.

The one thing to keep in mind when rolling, however, is this - do NOT try and influence them! Hoping, praying, trying different rolling mechanisms.. that won't work, the dice will sense that you aren't trusting in their judgement and give you trash. Just picture what your character is doing in your mind, put you faith in your dice, and let'em roll - the dice always know.

Dizlag
2007-07-30, 04:27 PM
I am another player who is superstitious about their dice. My purification ritual includes rolling each die until the maximum number is rolled before putting them back into my dice bag. DO NOT let anyone roll your dice without asking or touch them without asking! As a DM one session, I was making every saving throw ... 18s, 19s, and 20s ... you name it, I was rolling WELL! My wife, who was getting frustrated with it grabbed the dice rubbed them into her dice pile and the major juju was GONE! :smallconfused:

It's back now though and I keep a good eye on her to this day! :smallwink:

Dizlag

Dairun Cates
2007-07-30, 04:51 PM
Live by the spirit of the dice, and they will always be horrendously ironic to you. Not the best deal, but it does make for some good laughs.

Edit: And my first d20 actually is legendary in our group. It's referred to as the dice of improbability. It rolls in the way that is exactly the most dramatic or humorous 95% of the time.

blue_fenix
2007-07-30, 05:11 PM
I had read about dice superstitions from various places on the intarwebs before I bought my first set of dice, a cool translucent black with white numbers (the game shop was out of any non-ugly shade of blue). So I decided to create my own ritual - whenever I am playing a character, I keep all my dice facing with the 1 side up, even the d4 being used to represent my character on the battle map. It's my way of laughing in the face of bad luck. Of course, I never use this trick while DM'ing, wouldn't want the dice to be too nice to my players, after all.

ranger89
2007-07-30, 06:04 PM
Phew. I'm glad I'm not the only nutcase on these boards. :smallwink:

Some other dice superstitions that I or other players in my group practice:

- All dice sit high # up (I don't have blue_fenix's grapes to mock bad luck)
- Hit Dice are always rolled with my heavy pewter dice
- If the cat plays with your die, it's good luck
- Unnecessary rolling is bad mojo
- Non-D&D players can never, ever touch my dice. ("No, your nephew cannot play with my dice. These are not toys. These are dice.")
- I've been known to kiss my d20 after good rolls
- If a PC's set of dice are sucky, then they aren't the right dice for that PC (hence my 7 sets and counting amount of dice)
- Stacking your dice inevitably leads to character death (though most likely because you're not paying enough attention to the game)

And one of my favorite in-game quotes: "I don't believe in statistics. I believe in my dice." May have to make that my sig.

Hrmmm... This thread makes me want to go out and buy more dice.

Everyman
2007-07-30, 06:27 PM
Dice: My Anti-Drug

The only superstition I have with my dice are the power of my red dice. They are a bright crimson with a light cream swirl through them and were my first dice ever purchased. To this day, rolling with those dice when I'm the DM always, ALWAYS makes the game difficult for PCs. I can never figure out why...

Maltrich
2007-07-30, 07:16 PM
I don't have any dice superstitions, but I have a player who, the first time I played with him, in my sight, used my dice to roll six 18s for stats, using 3d6 in order.

I was very impressed.

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-30, 07:23 PM
I never bought a set of dice, mine have all simply built up through a few years of accumulation. A motley crew of shapely brigands, mercenaries with years behind them (although I still don't have a d12).

I have an orange d20 with a coloured in 20 that rolls pretty well for me, as well as a black d20 with lovely white and blue fletches. I simply make sure to avoid having other players use my "lucky" group of dice, others are up for grabs, but the luck does wash off if handled by another. And you've always got to do warm-up rolls before the session actually starts.

ForzaFiori
2007-07-30, 07:52 PM
I have only bought one set of dice, some of which have run off to who knows where. The rest are, like brokenbutterflies, mercenaries, most from my uncle. only big superstitions i have is that i always use a specific D20, this clear blue one, and i'll talk to my dice to make sure that they realize when i have a majorly important roll coming, so they can get prepared. I also wont let anyone touch certain dice (like my special D20), on pain of death.

Once i get some new sets (something i need to do, i need more of everything but D6's) i'll probably wind up with a power set.

@ranger: if cat's playing w/ your dice is good luck, then that explains why i can roll so well. my cats think my dice are their private play toys.

The New Bruceski
2007-07-30, 08:05 PM
Not my first set of dice, but back around 2000 I was at a math camp with an AD&D camp at the same place. During a lull a friend and I found a D20 and were rolling it out of boredom. Soon we noticed that every time we bounced it off a wall it'd come up 16 or higher. One roll-off later and I walked off with a lucky D20. I generally don't use it (further tests have shown it to be actually biased) but I feel good having it with my other dice.

Redblade
2007-07-31, 01:05 AM
Do I have any dice superstitions? Well I do now thank you very much :smalleek:

So far the only one I have developed is that the dice always must be pored out of the bag onto my hand, never the table!

DaMullet
2007-07-31, 01:25 AM
I am thoroughly convinced that all my dice can hear me perfectly, and have a great sense of humor.

Whenever I'm about to go through some trivial task, such as Diplomacy to get a room at the inn, or in one memorable case, making an attack roll to hit the ground, I usually say something like "Yeah, just watch me botch this," or "And now I'm gonna crit."

It's at that point that I invariably do exactly what I just said. As stated above, I learned to fly when I botched my attack against the ground (though I fell when I looked down and realized that I lost my towel) and my friend, whose favorite d20 I gave him because it was taking too long for him to roll all his iterative attacks, bluffed the king into thinking he was a piece of toast.

Not the rogue, but the king. He made the king believe that he himself, the king, was made of toast.