PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best build for a gestalt swashbuckler

TheKingsPride
2017-04-21, 01:22 PM
My Pathfinder group is currently playing a Kingmaker game, however we are already planning out our next game as we're relatively close to wrapping up this one. The concept of the next game is an alternate timeline of our kingmaker game where most of our party ended up dying and the PC who became a benevolent and kind ruler in our game, Georrard, instead became a mad Dictator ruling his kingdom with an iron fist. Our characters are going to begin the adventure having been all arrested separately and meet up around the second session, all imprisoned for different reasons. The character I wanted to make was supposed to be a noble bastard who was the best there was with a rapier, so naturally I went with a swashbuckler with the inspired blade archetype to focus in on rapier dueling and to have a good intelligence score. Then the GM told our group that we had a 25 point buy for stats and we were going to be playing a gestalt game, basically his way of saying he intends to crush us into the ground at every opportunity. I'm down for the challenge, but I'm not sure what direction I want to take my character in given these new parameters. Any advice? I was leaning toward unchained rogue for the free weapon finesse and dex to damage, plus all the other goodies a rogue comes with, but that would lock me into precision damage for the most part. We're playing an urban setting, so constructs and oozes are a definite possibility to encounter. The other members of the party are playing: Alchemist/Fighter (arrested for drug trafficking), Investigator/Swashbuckler (a lawyer arrested for sticking her nose where it didn't belong, is going to use the orator feat and has insane social skill bonuses), Psychometrist Vigilante/Investigator (arrested for vigilantism, focuses on nonlethal combat, has his abilities flavored as special gadgets only he can use, basically batman), and one other member who has yet to decide what he wants to do. Does anybody have advice or recommendations given the setting, idea behind the character, and party makeup? I want to keep my character non-magical, relying only on himself and his luck as much as possible.

Psyren
2017-04-21, 01:26 PM
I was going to suggest Empiricist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/archetypes/paizo-investigator-archetypes/empiricist/) Investigator as your other half, but it looks like there are two other Investigators and an Alchemist in your party already :smallfrown: There's also another Swashbuckler.

If it weren't for your magic prohibition I'd suggest Magus, or that you switch from Swashbuckler to Bard (Arcane Duelist or Dervish of Dawn.) Then with your Cha focus you can go Oradin on your other side and be the party healer while still being mean with a rapier.

TL;DR most of the good non-magic rapier options have been taken so I'm not sure what to suggest while that prohibition remains in place.

ghanjrho
2017-04-21, 02:00 PM
Is third-party content allowed? If so, I'd recommend DSP Warlord or maybe Harbinger. Warlord has more CHA synergy, while Harbinger is all about that INT. Harbinger is rather (Su), but Warlord is pretty much all (Ex). Focus on Scarlet Throne, and splash Primal Fury and Golden Lion to taste.

You can deal precision damage to constructs in PF. I think it's only oozes and elementals that keep the immunity.

Really, the problem is that most paths to effectiveness require magic, and rapier einhanding isn't the easiest style to pull off.

the_archduke
2017-04-21, 09:17 PM
What about Vigilante? You could be Zorro

Novawurmson
2017-04-21, 09:53 PM
If you're trying to stay non-magical, trying not to share any other classes with a teammate, and assuming paizo-only, your only options are:

Barbarian/Unchained Barbarian
Fighter
Monk/Unchained Monk
Skirmisher/other archetype Ranger
Rogue/Unchained Rogue/Ninja
Cavalier/Samurai
Brawler
Slayer
Gunslinger

For raw stats, Swashbuckler gives you 4+Int skills, good Reflex, and good BAB/HD.

Here's a weird idea: How about a regular Monk with cool archetype? Gets you all good saves, something the swashbuckler is lacking. While wearing armor, you only lose flurry of blows, fast movement, and monk AC, none of which really matter to you that much.

Master of Many Styles is interesting because of the proliferation of non-unarmed style feats. Elven Battle Focus substitutes Int to damage. The Swordplay Style line specifically melds with the swashbuckler. The Orc Style line gives interesting bonuses vs. shaken targets and gives you more ways to get them there. Wolf Style gives some debuffing/crowd control.

For other options, Sensei drops flurry of blows and fast movement and gets inspire courage for "bard-lite." Sohei gives some cool stuff, and some fancy bonuses if mounted.

Geddy2112
2017-04-23, 10:15 PM
Have you considered paladin? Having a high charisma from swashbuckler meshes well, and you would be very beefy having your charisma added to saves. To not be a spellcaster you can take warrior of the holy light or the temple champion archtype.

Malroth
2017-04-23, 11:27 PM
Drunken Master Quixong monk into Ninja, use Alchohol instead of Ki and swap feats styles ninja tricks and monk abilities by imbiling large amounts of booze.

NomGarret
2017-04-24, 12:22 PM
If you're open to something that's magic but not overtly magic, maybe a mesmerist? Your reputation as a duelist is partly due to skill at swordplay, but also the creepy way you stare down your opponents. You gain a bonus to Will saves, a couple more skill points, and most of the abilities work well with your action economy.

Psyren
2017-04-24, 01:38 PM
Have you considered paladin? Having a high charisma from swashbuckler meshes well, and you would be very beefy having your charisma added to saves. To not be a spellcaster you can take warrior of the holy light or the temple champion archtype.

Tempered Champion also loses spellcasting for some Fightery benefits.