PDA

View Full Version : The End of OOTS?

crazyforestgnome
2007-07-30, 07:37 AM
While I am sympathetic to Rich's Health plight, I worry about the future of the Order of The Stick. I've seen so many webcomics 'take a few weeks off' before and then the artist never comes back to the project, they often lose the impetus of the storyline in their time off. I worry that these may be the last few OOTS comics we were see.

--CFG

Cen
2007-07-30, 07:42 AM
While I am sympathetic to Rich's Health plight, I worry about the future of the Order of The Stick. I've seen so many webcomics 'take a few weeks off' before and then the artist never comes back to the project, they often lose the impetus of the storyline in their time off. I worry that these may be the last few OOTS comics we were see.

--CFG
no way. Rich is too much of a profesionalist to make such a thing. he... he is just too cool. He'll be back with hundreds of new ideas and lot of energy to make daily updates

Or so I hope

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-30, 08:02 AM
It's a legitimate concern, but I don't think it will happen here.

OOTS is not just a hobby for Rich, it IS his business. Besides the free strip, Rich earns his living from sales of his books, the game, t-shirts, coffee cups and a lot of other items that depend on the webcomic.

Most of the other webcomics out there are just hobbies for the other artist/writers, Rich has managed to turn his quirky little D&D strip into a full fledged business, which has had the unfortunate side effect of adding to his health problems.

The break will remove much of the stress he is currently under, recharge his personal batteries, and the next story arc will start with a bang!

Don't freak, check out both "The Battle for Gobwin Knob," and some/all of the webcomics in the webcomic thread. Lots of good strips (including a few who have indeed given up) to tide you over until Rich makes his return.

Balathustrius
2007-07-30, 09:05 AM
It'd be sad to see Oots end before it's time, but nothing is worth sacrificing your health for. It's gotta be stressful putting out a comic that you know thousands and thousands of people read and set very high standards on.

yoshi927
2007-07-30, 09:11 AM
I don't think there's much danger of that happening. Making this comic and the books about it actually IS his job right now. :smallbiggrin: Luckily, it works for him to take breaks like this. I'd rather have a good comic later rather than a rushed one sooner.

Magioth
2007-07-30, 09:33 AM
he quit his day job to work on oots he isnt isnt going to just give up, he has no life to turn to anymore :smallbiggrin:

Oxymoron
2007-07-30, 09:39 AM
He won`t. If he does I will hunt him down, chain him to my cellar and force him to make comics:smallfurious:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-30, 11:36 AM
Its his job. I don't think he'll suddenly say 'You know what. Now that im feeling much better I'll stop earning an income and start living on the streets and tell passers by about the good old time where I was an internet giant. Literally'. I'm sorry but I don't see it happening.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-30, 11:38 AM
OotS, like Girl Genius and Schlock, is run in a dedicated and prophessional fashion. I am sure that health is the only reason the giant does not, for example, have Schlock's update record.

We have little to fear.

Albion
2007-07-30, 12:17 PM
Even if the Giant took a month or six off, he'd return because there's almost half a thousand strips done and he has the future schemed up and on paper... It's not like he'd have to start from scratch and get a new start, a totally new inspiration or anything. - or to collect all the old stuff from before and study it like it'd be foreign and unfamiliar, it's his stuff! And he won't be out of ideas either, I'm sure new ones will keep popping up from life and whatever.
...what am I talking about, ... gut feelings I suppose, this is too strong with firm grounds and structures to lose itself due to a time off

Fascisticide
2007-07-30, 12:32 PM
He won`t. If he does I will hunt him down, chain him to my cellar and force him to make comics:smallfurious:
... and call it Misery

Verick Severith
2007-07-30, 12:39 PM
I doubt it, OOTS has grown too big and has become too popular for him to quit now. After all as it has been said, this is his job and he does it very professionally. Besides I think he himself wants to keep letting his creative juices flow with this story.

You've got nothing to worry about, if 8bit theatre can run for 7 years now, OOTS can last more than 4.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-30, 01:08 PM
Let me put it another way. Sir Arthur Connan Doile tried to get off his cash cow.

That cash cow turned up dressed as an Irish priest and running from a due with an air gun a few years latter.

CasESenSITItiVE
2007-07-30, 01:24 PM
the giant taking time off is more of a sign of the longevity of OotS to me. if he stops writing, he would have to take up something else to make income, and the flexibility of writing would be dificult to find elsewhere. his current situation is best for his health i think

Wanderlust
2007-07-30, 03:43 PM
The only thing I ask is that he change the note that says "Updates 3 times per week at random." Change it to "Updates at random" or anything like that, rather than posting a false statement. We've had what, 3 updates in the past 2 weeks or so? Maybe I'm naive to think that when someone puts information on their professional website, I would believe it to be followed through. I'm not angry, just misled. Still love the comic, but hope he gets back on track or changes the update schedule is all.

maitreyi
2007-07-30, 05:57 PM
I can see him slowing down the new comics to one per week, :frown: :furious: :eek: :mad: but not stoping completely. This isn't something he does in his spare time, it's his job.

tannish2
2007-07-30, 06:14 PM
screw " at random" he should say "according to a scedule that would collapse the mind of any mere mortal who was foolish enough to attempt to comprehend its greatness" ide love to see something like that on the updates scedule part of the page.... and really, idk wtf he has but if hes limiting himself to western medicine hes severely screwing himself, my doctor and every doctor at that hospital says that acupuncture does some amazing ****

ChopSticks28
2007-07-30, 06:48 PM
screw " at random" he should say "according to a scedule that would collapse the mind of any mere mortal who was foolish enough to attempt to comprehend its greatness" ide love to see something like that on the updates scedule part of the page.... and really, idk wtf he has but if hes limiting himself to western medicine hes severely screwing himself, my doctor and every doctor at that hospital says that acupuncture does some amazing ****

Waht the hell is wrong with you? Is it so hard for you to read only 2 comics per week instead of 3? Suck it up!

DreadSpoon
2007-07-30, 10:16 PM
my doctor and every doctor at that hospital says that acupuncture does some amazing ****

Which hospital do you go to? I want to make sure I avoid it for one that will actually attempt to fix my problems instead of stimulating nerves and hiding my problems.

Scarab83
2007-07-30, 10:48 PM
Don't freak, check out both "The Battle for Gobwin Knob," and some/all of the webcomics in the webcomic thread.

For me, Erfworld doesn't even come close to OotS. Mildly amusing, but I don't have the urge to compulsively refresh it for updates like I do here.

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-30, 10:59 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This falls into the category of speculation on comic timing. As such, it is an Inappropriate Topic for these forums. Please review the Rules of Posting. Thank you.