PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with Boss Fight Design and Balance

Chuhn
2017-04-21, 02:28 PM
Hello all, first time back in a long time.

Was hoping to get some feedback on the boss creature I have designed for my players coming up. I will link the image of the Roll20 character sheet below. This has been a big baddie for a while, who has screwed with them in numerous ways, as well as charming a fellow PC into doing truly unspeakable things, and the tension is real whenever he shows up. I want the boss fight to be a hard encounter, in his lair, and I want the fight to be an epic climax to all the crap they have gone through on his behalf.

As for the creation, I used the Archmage as a template for the spellcasting base, and tweaked it to his flavor and my liking.

He is a servant of an Illithid, and has been granted two special weapons from his master. Two Mind Lash whips, which are in Volo's Guide. (Whip that does extra 2d4 psychic damage, and forces a Wis save or suffer disadvantage on Cha, Wis and Int saves for 1 minute. Repeat save at end of turn.) I am wondering if I should give him the Mind Blast ability many Illithids get.

I also gave him all the class features that a Bladesinger gets, to further represent his prowess. Meaning adding his Int bonus to his AC, +10 walking speed, advantage on acrobatics, and he can add his Int to his concentration saves, as well as the Song of Defense reaction, and adding his Int bonus to melee attack damage (including the Mind Lash).

I think I will also give him the Warcaster and Alert feats.

In addition to his two Mind Lashes, he has Robes of the Arch-Magi and a Clock of Displacement, as well as Potions of Speed, Flying, Invulnerability and Supreme Healing. I also gave him the rules for mixing potions, to add an element of surprise.

During the encounter, every round their will be a random amount of Cranium Rats who swarm the fight area. On their own, they are harmless, but once enough of them get together, they will shift into a Swarm of Cranium Rats (Both of which are detailed in Volo's guide).

The party consists of 4 level 8 characters, a Warlock, Barbarian, Fighter and UA Ranger. All of which have pretty good items, up to +3 weapons, and a sentient piece of armor that has a level 6 spells and numerous other benefits. The players are also on the Min/Max side of character creation.

All that being said, I have not changed/modified/homebrewed a monster or encounter like this before, and this is the first time I have GM'd a game to this late of a level. So I am requesting help making this encounter feel scary and badass at the same time, but not over the top to auto cause a TPK, but the threat should be there. Any help would be GREAT.

Thank you so much!!!!!!

-Colt

http://imgur.com/KRtZaCl

djreynolds
2017-04-22, 02:55 AM
What is his spell DC? As none of your players has wisdom save proficiency... it could be tough to make that save.

And the AC could be too high to hit. What is his AC?

BurgerBeast
2017-04-22, 12:30 PM
The Boss Monsters in Tome of Beasts are pretty awesome. You can pick one you like and scale it down.

I recently ran a massive boss battle in which the PCs had to defeat a Fey Lord in his four seasonal forms. I used one of each of the Tome of Beasts Fey Lords as each "phase" of the fight. The first three were challenging but relatively easy wins. The fourth was probably, in the end, a 50-50 toss up between party and Boss that resulted in a TPK but was as close as could be to a party win.

I'd just like to add the caveat that you can't build a "close fight" in D&D. It's just too random. You have to take what you get. I thought I had built 3 super hard fights and they ended up being medium/hard. Due to clever play I let the party level up before the fourth phase, so I thought they'd beat it easily, but it was the hardest phase.