PDA

View Full Version : Next Comic: Celia's bracelet?

crazyforestgnome
2007-07-30, 07:43 AM
Right, so Celia's bracelet still hasn't been used and Haley and Belkar need to get past a large group of hobgoblins. I theorise they'll break the bracelet and she'll fly them over.

--Camo

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-30, 08:19 AM
Don't know. For a Checkov's gun, it has been cocked and loaded for quite some time...

I'm of the opinion Rich plans on splitting the team for a bit:
Team One:
Hinjo: Muscle
Elan: Support/Bard Skills
Vaarsuvius: Arcane Magic
Durkon: Divine Magic

Team Two:
Roy: Muscle
Haley: Support/Rogue Skills
Belkar: Back up Muscle
Celia: Arcane Magic

Just a thought...

Magioth
2007-07-30, 09:29 AM
"hey belkar lets gets roys girlfriend to fly us and his dead body over an army of hobgoblins?"

"sure that wouldn't scar her for life, maybe if we point out the fact that she wont have children any more too."

"great idea."

Oxymoron
2007-07-30, 09:36 AM
Spoiler: Vaarsuvius has cast his/her last spell, now he/she is a commoner with lousy skill points:smalltongue:

ag30476
2007-07-30, 09:41 AM
Right, so Celia's bracelet still hasn't been used and Haley and Belkar need to get past a large group of hobgoblins. I theorise they'll break the bracelet and she'll fly them over.

--Camo

Actually I was thinking they needed her to get the ship going with gust of wind or something...

Alysar
2007-07-30, 09:46 AM
I was thinking that neither Haley nor Belkar knows about the talisman, but I double-checked and Haley was there when Celia gave it to Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html), but unfortunately Haley didn't seem to recognize it when they found it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html).

RAGE KING!
2007-07-30, 09:59 AM
unfortunately roy's muscle is rather dead right now....
and v's out of arcane magic. i think v's just going to help elan use his magic.

also, could celia fly them all the way? we already know she can take roy, she could probably take belkar at the same time as he weighs only 30 pounds, but what about haley?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-30, 11:04 AM
unfortunately roy's muscle is rather dead right now....
and v's out of arcane magic. i think v's just going to help elan use his magic.

also, could celia fly them all the way? we already know she can take roy, she could probably take belkar at the same time as he weighs only 30 pounds, but what about haley?

I was thinking more on the lines if Celia can teleport in, she can teleport all of them out. Otherwise, she would have to fly both Belkar and Roy in one trip (it's three miles to the pier), and Haley on the second trip.

ChopSticks28
2007-07-30, 02:15 PM
They can try and fight their way through. It could work: Haley, Belkar and Celia can attack from behind, while the crew of the boat attacks on the front. They can take them.

Ithekro
2007-07-30, 03:42 PM
It's a long way.

David Argall
2007-07-30, 04:38 PM
I was thinking that neither Haley nor Belkar knows about the talisman, but I double-checked and Haley was there when Celia gave it to Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html), but unfortunately Haley didn't seem to recognize it when they found it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html).

Haley says "that amulet", so she presumably know what it is and how to use it.

but ...

It's gone unused for so long already. It could be that the gag is to be that when they finally get back to the ship and Haley is recounting all her difficulties, Elan [as the idiot] asks her why she didn't use it, and she has to admit she had forgotten about it.

RAGE KING!
2007-07-30, 04:56 PM
wow, i never noticed that before, you realize that haley is in that frame for no reason, and that frame sums up everything you need to know about that talisman. Coincidence! I THINK NOT!

Alysar
2007-07-30, 05:15 PM
Haley says "that amulet", so she presumably know what it is and how to use it.

Yeah, "that amulet". She's talking like she doesn't know what it is. She just assumes that it's Roy's because it was lying where he fell. She doesn't remember seeing Celia give it to Roy, probably because she didn't think anything of it at the time.

but ...

It's gone unused for so long already. It could be that the gag is to be that when they finally get back to the ship and Haley is recounting all her difficulties, Elan [as the idiot] asks her why she didn't use it, and she has to admit she had forgotten about it.

Thing is, we don't know if Elan ever knew about it. Or for that matter, anyone else besides Haley.

Charos
2007-07-30, 05:30 PM
Vaarsuvius!! Oh how I have missed thy gender neutral quips...I must go get some tissues now as my joy is leaking from my eyes...*sniffle*

Spiryt
2007-07-30, 05:41 PM
I was thinking more on the lines if Celia can teleport in, she can teleport all of them out. Otherwise, she would have to fly both Belkar and Roy in one trip (it's three miles to the pier), and Haley on the second trip.

Well, she may had some "unatural" means of flying.

If she fly naturaly (it seems that way "that wings isn't just for show") - well to cary both Roy and Belkar in one trip she would have to have at least 18 Str ( Roy - probably no less than 210 pounds - described as "big fighter" several times - with 30 pound armor + 30 pound Belkar with at least 10 pound equipment + 280 pounds)

And she really doesn't look in "all power sylph" style.

maitreyi
2007-07-30, 05:50 PM
It looks like Haley is just showing up when Celia explains about the amulet. Anyway, how would Celia improve things at this moment? She wouldn't know where the tunnel is, and she would be disoriented as to the situation, and a pretty flying fairy would be rather noticeable. :smallconfused:

Magioth
2007-07-30, 05:57 PM
Yeah, "that amulet". She's talking like she doesn't know what it is. She just assumes that it's Roy's because it was lying where he fell. She doesn't remember seeing Celia give it to Roy, probably because she didn't think anything of it at the time.

Thing is, we don't know if Elan ever knew about it. Or for that matter, anyone else besides Haley.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html

ill proberly agree with you since she said "that amulet" unless she meant "that amulet, the one celia gave to him"

David Argall
2007-07-30, 08:06 PM

"That" here refers to an identified item. If it was just an amulet, the term would be "an".

As with Roy's sword, Haley refers to "that amulet" as proof this is the right spot. She knows it to be a Roy-associated item. If we really want to insist on it, we can dodge the implication, but the obvious reading is that she knows full well this is a Celia-summons.

Alysar
2007-07-30, 11:32 PM
"That" here refers to an identified item. If it was just an amulet, the term would be "an".

As with Roy's sword, Haley refers to "that amulet" as proof this is the right spot. She knows it to be a Roy-associated item. If we really want to insist on it, we can dodge the implication, but the obvious reading is that she knows full well this is a Celia-summons.

Then why hasn't she summoned Celia to help them out yet?

holywhippet
2007-07-31, 12:15 AM

a) It might only work for Roy. I certainly wouldn't hand out an amulet that immediately summons me for just anyone.

b) They need to get back through the city which is full of hobgoblins, including hobgoblin archers. Unless they fly really high they are going to be easily spotted.

the_tick_rules
2007-07-31, 12:15 AM
celia should be showing up soon, probably. she's gotta defend her man lol

David Argall
2007-07-31, 12:33 AM

So far there has not been a good chance to. And as the heros, they are supposed to get out of trouble without help. And as noted they are not sure it will work efficiently.
Say they had used it to get away from the MitD. Assuming they manage to break it, Celia arrives, and may completely break down. By the time they get her calmed down, they may be doing it in the MitD's stomach.

So they want to use it when they have no choice and they have a little time. Thus the ferry to the junk looks good, but I suspect it will be something else.