PDA

View Full Version : Alignments...

kkortekaas
2007-07-30, 08:04 AM
I'm having trouble figuring out the "one step" rule to follow Mask (NE diety of thieves) which alignments are within one step?

Also, does anyone have a list of the one step relationships between all alignments?

Dausuul
2007-07-30, 08:08 AM
I'm having trouble figuring out the "one step" rule to follow Mask (NE diety of thieves) which alignments are within one step?

Also, does anyone have a list of the one step relationships between all alignments?

Chaotic Evil -> Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil, Neutral Evil
Neutral Evil -> True Neutral, Neutral Evil, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Evil
Lawful Evil -> Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil
Chaotic Neutral -> True Neutral, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil
True Neutral -> True Neutral, Neutral Good, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Neutral
Lawful Neutral -> True Neutral, Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil
Chaotic Good -> Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Good, Neutral Good
Neutral Good -> True Neutral, Neutral Good, Lawful Good, Chaotic Good
Lawful Good -> Lawful Neutral, Lawful Good, Neutral Good

The rule works like this. Every alignment has two components--the Good/Evil component and the Lawful/Chaotic component. To "step" from one alignment to another means to shift one component by no more than one level. One level means moving from a Neutral to a non-Neutral, or from a non-Neutral to a Neutral.

So Neutral Evil can get to Chaotic Evil in one step because you're shifting the Lawful/Chaotic component by one (Neutral to Chaotic) and leaving the Good/Evil component unchanged; however, it takes two steps to get to Chaotic Neutral (because you have to shift both Lawful/Chaotic and Good/Evil), and it likewise takes two steps to get to Neutral Good (because you have to shift Good/Evil all the way from Evil, to Neutral, to Good).

Swooper
2007-07-30, 08:11 AM
Think of alignments as a square with nine boxes:

CG - CN - CE
NG - TN - NE
LG - LN - LE

So, with a NE deity, the red or the green alignments are OK for his worshippers.

hewhosaysfish
2007-07-30, 08:11 AM
Think of alignments as a square with nine boxes:

CG - CN - CE
NG - TN - NE
LG - LN - LE

So, with a NE deity, the red or the green alignments are OK for his worshippers.

But you can't be TN unless your eity is also TN.

Attilargh
2007-07-30, 08:15 AM

You take one "step" on either the law-chaos axis or the good-evil axis.

{table]Lawful Good|Neutral Good|Chaotic Good
Lawful Neutral|True Neutral|Chaotic Neutral
Lawful Evil|Neutral Evil|Chaotic Evil[/table]
Just find the alignment on the table above, and move one step in any cardinal direction.

Ædit: I... Type... So... Slooooooooow...

Amiria
2007-07-30, 08:21 AM
According to "Forgotten Realms Help Dandello" (google it if you don't know the site yet), Mask's worshippers can have any alignment except Lawful Good. His clerics can have any non-good alignment.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-30, 08:21 AM
Chaotic Evil -> Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil, Neutral Evil
Neutral Evil -> True Neutral, Neutral Evil, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Evil
Lawful Evil -> Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil
Chaotic Neutral -> True Neutral, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil
True Neutral -> True Neutral, Neutral Good, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Neutral
Lawful Neutral -> True Neutral, Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil
Chaotic Good -> Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Good, Neutral Good
Neutral Good -> True Neutral, Neutral Good, Lawful Good, Chaotic Good
Lawful Good -> Lawful Neutral, Lawful Good, Neutral Good
Slight problem there.

A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.
So Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Neutral Good, and Neutral Evil deities cannot have True Neutral clerics.

Note also that the rule only affects clerics. Though non-cleric worshippers with an alignment more than a step away from the deity's will be quite rare for obvious reasons.

kkortekaas
2007-07-30, 08:36 AM
Much appreciated.

Soepvork
2007-07-30, 09:21 AM
Slight problem there.

So Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Neutral Good, and Neutral Evil deities cannot have True Neutral clerics.

Note also that the rule only affects clerics. Though non-cleric worshippers with an alignment more than a step away from the deity's will be quite rare for obvious reasons.

I think the SRD uses the term "Neutral" in this respect to represent the alignment commonly known as "True Neutral", not as neutral on a certain axis. Compare the alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#alignment) section in the SRD, in which the alignments are called Lawful good, Neutral good, Chaotic good, Lawful Neutral, Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil and Chaotic Evil.

Edit: I should learn to read.... That is more or less what you said... I thought you were trying to say that neutral on one axis isn't allowed unless the deity is.