PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Link [Spell]

Lysander
2007-07-30, 08:13 AM
Sometimes it's important to know what magic your ally and fellow caster is up to:

Arcane Link
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: You and a willing arcane caster
Duration: 2 minutes/level

This spell creates a magical bond between your inherent magical aura and that of another arcane caster providing information to each about the other's magical activity. You are aware of any spells the other attempts to cast and whether it was cast successfully or not. You do not however learn who or what their target is and whether they made their saving throw. This informational link has no range limit and will work between planes even.

Arcane Link can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Lysander
2007-07-30, 09:06 AM
Exactly the same but for clerics. There's an alignment restriction though, can't have a benevolent priest linking to some wicked cultist.

Divine Link
Divination
Level: Cleric 1

This spell creates a magical bond between your inherent divine aura and that of another divine caster providing information to each about the other's magical activity. The other person's alignment cannot be more than one step removed from your own, on a single axis. You are aware of any spells the other attempts to cast and whether it was cast successfully or not. You do not however learn who or what their target is and whether they made their saving throw. This informational link has no range limit and will work between planes even.

Divine Link can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Tormsskull
2007-07-30, 02:27 PM
Exactly the same but for clerics. There's an alignment restriction though, can't have a benevolent priest linking to some wicked cultist.

Hmm. Why not? I can't see any huge problem allowing a good cleric and an evil cleric to link up with one another. As a matter of a fact, I could see this spell being used as a monitoring device for clerics who have perhaps strayed from the path of their alignment a bit (like having Big Brother watch over you).

Divine Link
Divination
Level: Cleric 1

Forgot to change that part.

Lysander
2007-07-30, 04:24 PM
Divine Link could still be used by say a Lawful Good Priest to keep track of a Lawful Neutral member that seems to be slipping towards evil.

TheLogman
2007-07-30, 04:56 PM
Willing person, and it's only for 2 minutes/level. Even at 20th level, this spell will only last 40 minutes. Does it take less than 40 minutes to turn evil? Even if the person agrees to willingly be the subject to the spell, and it turned permanent, there is no way to be sure that the guy turned evil unless he starts using Inflict spells, and disease spells, and any evil spells (Like Blasphemy, or Desecration)

jindra34
2007-07-30, 04:57 PM
Willing person, and it's only for 2 minutes/level. Even at 20th level, this spell will only last 40 minutes. Does it take less than 40 minutes to turn evil? Even if the person agrees to willingly be the subject to the spell, and it was a 20th caster level spell, there is no way to be sure that the guy turned evil unless he starts using Inflict spells, and disease spells, and any evil spells (Like Blasphemy, or Desecration.

But ye can make it permanent.

TheLogman
2007-07-30, 04:59 PM
Just noticed that, even if it is permanent, you still don't know when the guy turns evil unless he starts raising dead, and then you know he's making an undead army, but you don't know where.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 10:14 PM
I dunno about this working between different planes. That is awfully powerful, especially for a 1st level spell. I can't think of another spell that is extraplanar in this manner.

The rest, however, is pure "Why didn't I think of that?" Good job, Lysander. Like a true entrepreneur, you saw an untapped market, & you filled it well.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-07-30, 10:26 PM
Nice spell. That goes straight into Batman's belt, imo. My one request is that perhaps you can make an improved version. Like Detect magic -> Arcane Sight.