PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of Amaunator and Initiate of Lathander: Redux

ATHATH
2017-04-21, 08:04 PM
Previous Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483944-Initiate-of-Amaunator-and-Initiate-of-Lathander

While lamenting the inability of Initiate of Amaunator to let you cast [Fire] spells from any spell list (which crushed my dreams of a "Healer" that rides a unicorn with the [Fire] subtype (from Mantle of the Fiery Spirit), chucks around Fireballs, Scorching Rays, and other [Fire] spells, and has a death-metal theme tune) and the general mediocrity of Cleric [Fire] spells, I had an epiphany:

Sha'irs can take the Initiate of Amaunator feat, and they have access to the entire Sorc/Wiz list. Spontaneous spellcasting should get around their weird spellcasting mechanic as well, if needed.

Questions:
1. If I dip Cleric 1, can I take both Initiate of Amaunator and Initiate of Lathander? I vaguely recall reading that the Amaunator heresy states that Lathander will be reborn as Amaunator (who had already lived and died already, but apparently gets a second chance because reasons), and being able to complement my [Fire] spells with Chain Lightnings and such would be really nice.
2. Is there an easy-to-access way to pierce fire immunity?
3. Can I spend my Sha'ir spellslots to spontaneously cast [Fire] (or [Light], if I take Initiate of Lathander) spells from the Cleric list if I dip Cleric 1 (and thus acquiring the Cleric spell list, albeit for/on a different class), or can I only use them to cast spells from the Sha'ir list?

Psyren
2017-04-21, 08:19 PM
Sha'irs can take the Initiate of Amaunator feat, and they have access to the entire Sorc/Wiz list. Spontaneous spellcasting should get around their weird spellcasting mechanic as well, if needed.

Not quite:

Benefit
You can spontaneously cast any spell on your spell list that has the fire descriptor. This functions the same way as spontaneous cure spells do.

Spontaneous Casting
A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

The spells you spontaneously convert have to be ones you've already prepared. Unfortunately, the "weird" part of Sha'ir casting IS the preparation bit.

ATHATH
2017-04-21, 08:30 PM
Not quite:

The spells you spontaneously convert have to be ones you've already prepared. Unfortunately, the "weird" part of Sha'ir casting IS the preparation bit.
Awww....

I don't suppose that there is any way to prepare my spells faster (other than using a fast-time plane or the like), is there?

Would Mage of the Arcane Order let me prepare "dummy spells" (a bunch of copies of, say, Permanent Image, for example) in my highest-level spell slots (for the levels where I have spell slots that are of a higher level than my highest-level spell-known) quickly?

ATHATH
2017-04-21, 08:33 PM
Wait, nope, reread MotAO; that won't work.

Eldariel
2017-04-22, 08:44 AM
You could always just take the Fire-domain & Spontaneous Domain Casting [Player's Handbook II] and anything granting access to the Wizard-list (just access to the list suffices, you don't actually need to be able to cast any high level spells), and the Customize Domain feat [Dragon Magazine #325] to fill the domain with Fire-spells of your choice.

EDIT: E.g. Magical Training [Player's Guide to Faerun] probably gives you access to the Wiz/Sorc list. Anyspell [Spell Compendium] might or might not count; ask your DM. A nice Fire-domain might be for instance:

1. Wall of Smoke [Spell Compendium]
2. Combust [Spell Compendium]
3. Fireball
4. Orb of Fire [Spell Compendium]
5. Fire Shield, Mass [Spell Compendium]
6. Scalding Mud [Sandstorm]
7. Volcanic Storm [WotC site (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031017a)]
8. ??? (nothing useful exists on this level; Incendiary Cloud and Firestorm are the only spells and your other spells do the stuff better - you could get Delayed Blast Fireball for use with Time Stop or something)
9. Erupt [Serpent Kingdoms]

ATHATH
2017-04-22, 03:38 PM
You could always just take the Fire-domain & Spontaneous Domain Casting [Player's Handbook II] and anything granting access to the Wizard-list (just access to the list suffices, you don't actually need to be able to cast any high level spells), and the Customize Domain feat [Dragon Magazine #325] to fill the domain with Fire-spells of your choice.

EDIT: E.g. Magical Training [Player's Guide to Faerun] probably gives you access to the Wiz/Sorc list. Anyspell [Spell Compendium] might or might not count; ask your DM. A nice Fire-domain might be for instance:

1. Wall of Smoke [Spell Compendium]
2. Combust [Spell Compendium]
3. Fireball
4. Orb of Fire [Spell Compendium]
5. Fire Shield, Mass [Spell Compendium]
6. Scalding Mud [Sandstorm]
7. Volcanic Storm [WotC site (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031017a)]
8. ??? (nothing useful exists on this level; Incendiary Cloud and Firestorm are the only spells and your other spells do the stuff better - you could get Delayed Blast Fireball for use with Time Stop or something)
9. Erupt [Serpent Kingdoms]
Yeah, I could do that, but the advantage of this method is that I can spontaneously cast ANY [Fire] spell on the Sorc/Wiz list, rather than just the 9 best ones. There actually happens to be quite a few utility spells that (can) have the [Fire] subtype; Summon Monster X, for example, can let me summon Fire Elementals to do my bidding (and before you ask, yes, I know that there are feats to do that spontaneously/at-will).