PDA

View Full Version : Little Tower On The Jungle

shaka gl
2007-07-30, 11:18 AM
Hey guys. Im in need of a cool tower for a powerfull wizard to reside in. I have created some when i needed to, but this time im gonna need help. If you have one you created or know where i can find one, please, let me know. Thanks.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-30, 11:46 AM
Could I suggest a giant termite mound. Maybe many of them in the area. The wizard could either shrink himself to fit, or have an unusually large one. Note that these termite mounds are as hard as concrete and are only the tip of the iceberg (so to speak). Termite colonies have massive tunnel systems below ground linking many mounds together.

Now you just need a means to control the insects (vermin) and possibly some larger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/giantAnt.htm) or infernal ones (look at XILL (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/xill.htm) or FORMIAN (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/formian.htm))

This works best if the wizard is lawful and keeps a rigid structure.

Iku Rex
2007-07-30, 12:01 PM
This could be a start: Map-a-week: Wizard's Tower (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mw/20030703a)

Edit: There seems to be an adventure (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ch/ch20010129b) for the maps as well.

Keld Denar
2007-07-30, 12:46 PM
What level wizard are you looking for? Post a level and someone here could throw you a wizard complete with spell list and combat tactics in moments.

As far as stuff to go with the wizard, magic traps are easy. Craft Wonderous Item allows a wizard to craft magical traps. Then just look around the PHB or other spell source for spells to place in traps. Blindness/Deafness is a good start. So is Confusion. Any damage spell can be a trap too, especially if it has an area of effect to hit more players. At high levels, any of the symbol spells can be left on doorways.

Have outsiders bound to serve as gaurds in the tower. Elementals and lesser demons/devils make decent gaurds. A well contained ooze of some sort also makes for convenient garbage/PC disposal.

If it's in a jungle, make a tribe of primative humans/humanoids venerate the wizard as a god. The PCs can interact/slaughter them before proceeding on to the wizard.

shaka gl
2007-07-30, 01:06 PM
What level wizard are you looking for?

The Wizard is a Human Spellwarped (MM3) Wizard/Elemental Savant lvl 12. He also lives with his wife, a female yuan-ti pureblood sorceress.

If it's in a jungle, make a tribe of primative humans/humanoids venerate the wizard as a god.

He has a tribe of kobolds for that :smallwink:

Could I suggest a giant termite mound.

That does not fit with what Im looking for, but i really liked the idea for a further adventure site. Thanks!

puppyavenger
2007-07-30, 01:09 PM
Whats his element? If you know that it's much easier to make a themed dungeon for him,

shaka gl
2007-07-30, 01:16 PM
His element is Air/Electricity.

Keld Denar
2007-07-30, 01:29 PM
Since he is an elemental savant of air, definately have the topmost levels of his tower accessable only by flying. Air ESs can fly at will, unless I'm mistaken. PCs who try to climb will be vulnerable to blasting (you lose your dex bonus while climbing unless you have a climb speed, most PCs don't, so reflex saves go down). Rays also work well, because most targets flat-footed touch AC is 10 even. 12 wizard with 16 dex only misses on a 1. Arc Lightning would be an amazing spell in the case of climbing, if the PCs are all on a rope. Target the top and bottom most PCs, and zap everyone in between. Don't forget about non-lightning spells too. Summon a large creature where the rope attaches, and have it jump down onto the PCs. A Fiendish dire boar, dire ape, or dire wolverine landing on top of the top most PC will certainly knock him down, and possibly all the rest of the PCs. Summoned air elementals in whirlwind form would also be a big problem to PCs on a rope.

Some other standard wizard spells that win are:
Wall of Force - divide and conquer
Enerveration - good save reducer
Ray of Stupidity - the anti mage
Ray of Exhaustion - the anti everyone else
Mirror Image - protect your squishy bits
Dimension Door and Teleport - Dim Door has no somatics (anti-grapple) and teleport is just plain good
Greater Invisibility - attacks come out of thin "air"

Iku Rex
2007-07-30, 01:49 PM
(you lose your dex bonus while climbing unless you have a climb speed, most PCs don't, so reflex saves go down). You lose your Dex bonus to AC. Reflex saves are not affected.

Keld Denar
2007-07-30, 01:54 PM
Bah, minor details. You can still blast the hell out of em with rays, as it is unlikely they will have a flat-footed touch AC much higher than 10 baring mage armor or rings of protection.

And arc lightning will still accurately hit everyone in a line while they are climbing up a rope, even if they don't have a penalty to make the save.

Oeryn
2007-07-30, 02:04 PM
Actually, "tribe of kobolds" and "giant termite mound" go together pretty well.

If the guy can fly, make the tower inaccessible except by flight, and the only other way in can be through the tunnels underneath, which are crawling with kobolds.

shaka gl
2007-07-30, 07:52 PM
Well, I have the site structure, the BBEG and the traps; all laid out. Im just missing some monsters to guard it. They must be things he could have summoned or brought from the jungle somehow. What do you recommend me? (besides the Storm/Air Elemental, which is a must).

I was also thinking he could have somo kind of winged fellow as a servant, like a housekeeper, keeping the "guardians" of the tower in order and being his middle-man with the kobolds... What do you thing? What kind of creature could it be?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-30, 07:56 PM
In the old Al - Qadim campaign. They had all those abandoned unknown mushroom shaped metallic towers (think stainless steel) scattered throughout the jungles of the Ruined Kingdoms in Zakhara on Toril.

Check out the Downloads section at Wizards.

The Alchemist's Eyrie or The Tower of Deception downloads might be what you want since they both have towers already designed in the pdf.

Wreck Ashore has a nice convential tower on a small island.

Base of Operations has an abandoned simple keep.

The Eye of the Sun has a Mayan styled pyramid complex but just the exterior.

The Eberron Jungle Secrets is a little bare but might work.

In the Old Editions downloads section at Wizards there is DMGR2 Castle Guide which has a nice Shell Keep and Fortified Manor House with a small tower.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-30, 08:16 PM
Try dropping them into a pond with a colony of Giant Crocodile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/crocodileGiant.htm) increase HD and numbers to a suitable CR rating for the characters. The wizard wouldn't even have control over them. Note that crocs like to drag creatures under and let them drown.