PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Whats the weight of a greatclub wielded by a huge monster?

kamap
2017-04-22, 02:18 AM
In our session yesterday we had to fight a hill giant and he lost his greatclub.
One of our players could fly and had a strenght of 17, he thought to pick up to greatclub and fly up and drop the greatclub on the hill giants head (Harry potter anyone?)
Now the question is would this have been possible?
The lift capacity of someone with 17 strenght is 510 pounds (30*17) if I'm not mistaken.
Though what would the weight of the huge greatclub be? How to calculate it? its not just 3 times the size so 3 times the weight but what is the formula then?
Then again lifting something up while standing on the ground is something totally different then lifting something while flying.

Mandragola
2017-04-22, 06:38 AM
3-dimensional objects expand in all 3 dimensions if enlarged, so you need to cube the weight. A great club that's 3x the length, width and depth would be 27 times the weight.

Cybren
2017-04-22, 06:49 AM
3-dimensional objects expand in all 3 dimensions if enlarged, so you need to cube the weight. A great club that's 3x the length, width and depth would be 27 times the weight.

I wonder at what size the structural integrity of the club wouldn't be able to support its impact anymore...

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-22, 07:00 AM

So, 270 lbs. That's just about liftable for a Strength 17 character, but if a character is flying under their own power, I generally half their maximum lift weight.

To be honest, I don't know if there's much benefit to dropping a giant greatclub onto a giant anyway. If anything, I'd use the weapon's normal damage die (3d8), as if you'd thrown it. Likewise, I'd probably make it an attack roll against AC - without proficiency unless you have proficiency with improvised weapons. And I'd have the club shatter on impact; Cybren is right about the structural integrity.

Unoriginal
2017-04-22, 07:03 AM
A giant's greatclub is probably smaller than a human's greatclub, proportionally speaking.

BeefGood
2017-04-22, 09:39 AM
In storm kings thunder there is a place with statues of giants. There's a table of weapon weights. But I can't recall the great club weight (maybe 500 lb?) and I also can't recall if those weapons are intended to be actual combat weapons. Away from book.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-04-22, 10:41 AM
If you've never paused a session for some Riemann integration of a greatclub density function, have you truly lived?

Jgosse
2017-04-22, 11:06 AM
back in 3.5 if something doubled in size then it was 8X heavier. so if something is 4 X as big it would be 64X heavier. so that's about 1000lbs.

Unoriginal
2017-04-22, 12:31 PM
In storm kings thunder there is a place with statues of giants. There's a table of weapon weights. But I can't recall the great club weight (maybe 500 lb?) and I also can't recall if those weapons are intended to be actual combat weapons. Away from book.

Storm King's Thunder indeed says that a Hill Giant's bone greatclub is 500lbs. It's 50 time the weight of a human greatclub.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-22, 01:01 PM
Storm King's Thunder indeed says that a Hill Giant's bone greatclub is 500lbs. It's 50 time the weight of a human greatclub.

Depending on the kind of bone, that's fairly consistent with our previous suggestion of 270lbs (for a wood greatclub). It also makes sense that you'd want to use a denser material for a giant club, for improved durability.

Lombra
2017-04-22, 03:02 PM
For what's worth it, when a creature gets enlarged by one size (by the spell enlarge) it's weight becomes 8 times greater, maybe you could apply the same principle to weapons too.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-22, 03:04 PM
For what's worth it, when a creature gets enlarged by one size (by the spell enlarge) it's weight becomes 8 times greater, maybe you could apply the same principle to weapons too.

That's where Mandragola got 27x from: hill giants are two size categories bigger than humans. 23=8, 33=27.

Lombra
2017-04-22, 03:12 PM
That's where Mandragola got 27x from: hill giants are two size categories bigger than humans. 23=8, 33=27.

Following the strict logic of the spell it should be 64 times (if you think it by applying the enlarge effect two times in a row) but that could cause some gameplay problems I guess.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-22, 03:21 PM
Following the strict logic of the spell it should be 64 times (if you think it by applying the enlarge effect two times in a row) but that could cause some gameplay problems I guess.

Well maybe, though they might not turn out to be big problems.

But the thing is, we can do the maths for going up two size categories more accurately than the abstraction of 'it's kind of like the Enlarge spell twice over'. We know that Huge creatures fill a 15x15x15 volume, and medium creatures fill a 5x5x5 volume, so we know 27 times is a better estimate, and there's no reason not to use it.

djreynolds
2017-04-23, 03:23 AM
How much does the dwarven fighter in the party weigh? See if the giant likes wielding the dwarf or the club?

kamap
2017-04-24, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

There was no dwarf in the party.