PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific prestige class

themagus
2017-04-22, 08:59 AM
Hello everyone.
I'm new here and I've come looking for help.
I'm looking for a prestige class I saw a while ago for one of my players. The deal is- I don't remember the class's name. Here's what I know about it:
It's meant for the ranger. The concept is, the pc is bitten by a phase spider and after the recovery it starts getting phase abilities. It can do stuff like shooting an arrow from the astral plane and it'll hit in the material as a class feature. I specifically remember that the pc loose 2 Con after recovery from the venom and as it begins this prestige. Being bitter by a phase spider is a prerequisite and it might have more prereqs but I don't remember.

Ring any bells?

ksbsnowowl
2017-04-22, 09:35 AM
It's not from any 3rd edition WotC-published book. It might be from Dragon Magazine. More likely, it is third party.

Karl Aegis
2017-04-22, 09:36 AM
That' the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. It's probably in Dragon Magazine somewhere. Or Dndwiki

themagus
2017-04-22, 10:41 AM
Could be from dragon magazine, I just wish I remembered. Thanks a lot!

thoroughlyS
2017-04-22, 11:58 AM
After doing some digging, I believe you are looking for the Ethereal Hunter (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ethereal_Hunter_(3.5e_Class)) from dandwiki. What abilities are you looking for specifically here? Perhaps there is an official class that suits your needs.

Buufreak
2017-04-22, 01:50 PM
That' the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. It's probably in Dragon Magazine somewhere. Or Dndwiki

I wouldn't say stupidest, but its definitely wiki-tastic. As written (and I am using that term loosely), it isn't even a prestige class. Its a conglomeration of alternate features for a full 20 level build of Ranger, including -6 Con and Timeless Body at level 1, because why the hell not.

themagus
2017-04-23, 06:48 AM
The ethereal hunter does look like what I'm looking for. However looking at it again I am completely turned off even when I put aside my personal agenda of not touching other peoples homebrew for myself or when suggesting classes to others.
I see it as case closed.

As to what I'm looking for- I want to help a player with offering an archery prestige for his ranger. Maybe I need to brows through traditional things again... Order of the bow, cragtop archer/sniper/whatever it's called... I'll go do some sniffing around.

Thanks a lot, everyone! \o/

thoroughlyS
2017-04-23, 04:21 PM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0) is a pretty good place to start.

Thurbane
2017-04-23, 05:40 PM

After doing some digging, I believe you are looking for the Ethereal Hunter (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ethereal_Hunter_(3.5e_Class)) from dandwiki. What abilities are you looking for specifically here? Perhaps there is an official class that suits your needs.

Nailed it! :smallbiggrin:

Zaq
2017-04-23, 06:02 PM
Wow. That, um, "class" just completely exemplifies dandwiki. Insane balance! Horrible writing and sentence structure! Nonsensical organization! Abilities that are clearly designed for a single character in a single game rather than something that is generally applicable! Bizarre and yet weirdly specific fluff ("here are the specific magic words you have to chant while doing a creepy unsanitary ritual with your animal companion")! Casual disregard for the setup of the system (is this a class or an ACF or what? Nobody knows!) as a whole!

It's . . . oddly beautiful, in a horrifying sort of way. Kind of like The Room, only diluted to like 1% strength.

Gildedragon
2017-04-24, 12:50 AM
Wow. That, um, "class" just completely exemplifies dandwiki. Insane balance! Horrible writing and sentence structure! Nonsensical organization! Abilities that are clearly designed for a single character in a single game rather than something that is generally applicable! Bizarre and yet weirdly specific fluff ("here are the specific magic words you have to chant while doing a creepy unsanitary ritual with your animal companion")! Casual disregard for the setup of the system (is this a class or an ACF or what? Nobody knows!) as a whole!

It's . . . oddly beautiful, in a horrifying sort of way. Kind of like The Room, only diluted to like 1% strength.
I've seen worse I think. This, however, there's a strong "What we're they thinking" vibe from it... Like the player can't know the abilities until after taking the class: they can only take the class after level 1 if they're rangers... But there's implications all over that a nonranger can take the class but no levels are exchanged. @_@
*rolls to avoid being affected by feeblemind*
Oof. Made it

DEMON
2017-04-24, 04:04 PM
As to what I'm looking for- I want to help a player with offering an archery prestige for his ranger. Maybe I need to brows through traditional things again... Order of the bow, cragtop archer/sniper/whatever it's called... I'll go do some sniffing around.

Anything in particular, concept-wise, or just general archery-focused build?