PDA

View Full Version : Does Inspire Courage/Dragonfire Inspiration apply to Natural Attacks (3.5)

Zoraster
2017-04-22, 11:38 AM
Does Inspire Courage/Dragonfire Inspiration apply to natural attacks? (3.5) I ask because I'm going to start a campaign with two other PCs that are going to be heavy into summons (nature ally/summon monster) and taking dragonfire inspiration only makes sense if it works on their natural attacks.

The wording in inspire courage states "weapon damage rolls." In researching this question other posts suggested "weapon damage rolls" is specified as to not apply the bonus to spell damage as opposed to requiring it to be a sword or other "weapon."

If inspire courage applies to natural attacks would dragonfire inspiration also apply to natural attacks? It would be an easier visual sell for courage to apply vs dragonfire considering a creature with a bite attack would have their mouth on fire or dripping with acid but then again a person's weapons aren't damaged by it either so I guess The reason it doesn't harm the ally is because "magic."

I found this posted elsewhere on natural weapons: "Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature. A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity."

Based on that I think it would apply but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I ask the DM.

Buufreak
2017-04-22, 11:40 AM
As the ability does not mention "manufactured" weapon rolls, and natural weapons are indeed "weapons," yes, they are covered under Inspire X.

Doctor Awkward
2017-04-22, 11:48 AM
Does Inspire Courage/Dragonfire Inspiration apply to natural attacks? (3.5) I ask because I'm going to start a campaign with two other PCs that are going to be heavy into summons (nature ally/summon monster) and taking dragonfire inspiration only makes sense if it works on their natural attacks.

The wording in inspire courage states "weapon damage rolls." In researching this question other posts suggested "weapon damage rolls" is specified as to not apply the bonus to spell damage as opposed to requiring it to be a sword or other "weapon."

If inspire courage applies to natural attacks would dragonfire inspiration also apply to natural attacks? It would be an easier visual sell for courage to apply vs dragonfire considering a creature with a bite attack would have their mouth on fire or dripping with acid but then again a person's weapons aren't damaged by it either so I guess The reason it doesn't harm the ally is because "magic."

I found this posted elsewhere on natural weapons: "Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature. A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity."

Based on that I think it would apply but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I ask the DM.

Natural weapons are "weapons" that produce damage rolls on successful attacks. As Inspire Courage affects anyone that you consider to be an ally that can hear the sound of your voice, their natural weapons would be affected by Inspire Courage. As Dragonfire Inspiration is a modification of Inspire Courage, they would be affected by that as well.

Keep in mind though that Inspire Courage is mind-affecting. It will not work on minions produced by necromancy, or by anything summoned by a druid with Greenbound Summoning (plants are immune to mind-affecting).

Zoraster
2017-04-23, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback, that's what I needed. I had forgotten about the term "manufactured weapon."