PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to start a character from level 1 as a large size category creature?

Trevor Bright
2017-04-22, 02:28 PM
What the title says. I have a build for Duengoen Crasher/Warforge Juggernaut/War Hulk in mind, but he needs to be large size to take that class...

KillianHawkeye
2017-04-22, 03:00 PM
Races and templates that grant any size larger than Medium generally always entail some amount of Level Adjustment. That isn't to say that there's absolutely no way to accomplish this, but if there is it almost certainly involves a bit of rules abuse or other cheese.

ATHATH
2017-04-22, 03:06 PM
Incarnate Construct + some template that can boost a creature's size.

Prime32
2017-04-22, 06:19 PM
Goliaths from Races of Stone are LA +1 for Powerful Build (allowing them to count as Large for some purposes), and have a racial substitution level for Barbarian that causes them to grow to Large size while raging. This interacts strangely with War Hulk if you go with the "losing the prereqs for a PrC causes you to temporarily lose its class features" ruling, since it means that the drawbacks of No Time to Think only apply while raging.

It's a little cheesy, but if you take 3 levels in the Stoneblessed PrC then any race can count as a goliath and thus qualify for the RSL (even if they're smaller than Medium).

Remuko
2017-04-22, 06:36 PM
Be a level 1 humanoid with a permanence'd enlarge person on you?

martixy
2017-04-22, 07:02 PM
Well... not legally for PCs.
It is possible at L2 for PCs(with +1 LA).
Or at L1, but it would require taking a template that is Level Adjustment: —, so technically not available to PCs + additional template stacking cheese.
In any case it begins with Half-minotaur or Half-ogre, which makes you large for LA+1.

Troacctid
2017-04-22, 07:14 PM
There is a variant rule (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040215a&page=2) that allows you to begin at level 1 with a level-adjusted race.

Matrota
2017-04-23, 08:10 AM
I believe the child template is actually LA-1, so you might be able to play a child character on the verge of adulthood who is large. Definitely ask your DM first, since it's a bit cheesy and children can't take class levels unless your DM is feeling nice.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-04-23, 08:11 AM
A large sized LA +0 anthropormorphic animal who had 2 HD permanently drained. Cheesy, but it works.

Trevor Bright
2017-04-23, 01:34 PM
These are all definitely worth looking in too. I'll run them by my GM, Thanks!