PDA

View Full Version : Wizard build advice; Low level campaign

RafeJolonNightw
2017-04-22, 03:56 PM
Hiyah, me and a friend are involved in a magically focused campaign, we're second level, my friend is Wizard 2 and a blaster focusing on evocation fire magic just for fun and flavor, I on the other hand am a rogue 1 wizard 1 with focus on conjuration, I have the augmented summoning feat and spell focus conjuration with an alternative class feature that gives me teleport or whatever it's called if conjuration is my specialty school. Necromancy and evocation are off the table for me so I'm trying to go for something very Constantine esque for my character but I'm kind of at a loss for how I should go for the rest of the characters progression, my characters stats are 12 str 14 dex 16 con 16 int 13 cha and 12 wis I believe. Ummm everything that's suggested has to be SRD referancable it's 3.5 and I don't know if prestige classes are allowed but there are no flaws or traits.

Eldariel
2017-04-22, 04:33 PM
If PRCs are not allowed, take rest of your levels in Wizard. That's about the best you can do and does well in this mix. If PRCs are allowed, you can consider taking a level of Assassin once you qualify followed by Arcane Trickster, which is the Wizard/Rogue Hybrid class. Though if you have Abrupt Jaunt, you do seem to have some book access? If you do, Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10 is quite perfect. Unseen Seer is in Complete Mage and is essentially a perfect Rogue/Wizard hybrid class.

Rebel7284
2017-04-22, 06:38 PM
If you are allowed Unseen Seer, totally go for it. Great class!

Malconvoker and Thaumaturgist work well off your feats so could be on the table too.

Have you read the wizard handbooks? Treantmonk's guide is particularly amazing.

RafeJolonNightw
2017-04-22, 11:54 PM
Thanks to both you guys who posted that's certainly the best advice I've gotten thus far and I will have to look into all suggestions. Yes Prcs are allowed as I have recently asked and most if not all books are allowed if they can be referenced. Not that this matters to this particular thread but is there a loophole method of using spells that are of a higher spell level than what you can cast through something such as an item. Because if I can silver tongue/charm the pants off some seller and get such an item like what I have mentioned for free than I am all aboard that train.

ATHATH
2017-04-23, 12:38 AM
At this low level, summons aren't particularly good (generally, they start to pick up at around SM III-ish, IIRC), since most of them won't last for the whole combat. I recommend casting Sleep, Color Spray, and/or Grease (which happens to be a Conjuration spell, by the way) in the mean time.

Eldariel
2017-04-23, 01:04 AM
Thanks to both you guys who posted that's certainly the best advice I've gotten thus far and I will have to look into all suggestions. Yes Prcs are allowed as I have recently asked and most if not all books are allowed if they can be referenced. Not that this matters to this particular thread but is there a loophole method of using spells that are of a higher spell level than what you can cast through something such as an item. Because if I can silver tongue/charm the pants off some seller and get such an item like what I have mentioned for free than I am all aboard that train.

I'll have to say, don't forget to pick up Practiced Spellcaster [Complete Divine]. This makes Unseen Seer "Divination Spell Power" downside essentially inexistent, allowing you to keep caster level up to your character level even though you take the penalties. And far as good Divinations to learn as Unseen Seer Advanced Learnings go, Divine Insight [Spell Compendium] and Guidance of the Avatar [Wizards of the Coast Online Expansions (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)] make you much better for skill monkeying, particularly in skills you don't have points for. Then Hunter's Eye [Player's Handbook II] allows you to add a massive amount of sneak attack dice to your sneak attack ability. I recommend those 3. For the last 5 levels, Arcane Trickster and Spellwarp Sniper [Complete Scoundrel] are both good.

Yes, there are plenty of such loopholes. This thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11734.0) does a decent job of covering them.

RafeJolonNightw
2017-04-23, 03:35 PM
Alright cool these Will make for some interesting ideas for the future.

I read the thread but I must have missed the part that explained the loophole that would allow say a rogue 1 Wizard 2 with practiced spellcaster the ability to use spells of say 3rd level or something with items or something.