PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New Race Idea Homebrew For Friends Thursday Group

Arzul
2017-04-22, 05:43 PM
Ok guys i have been invited out to my current DM's second campaign in the same universe setting i am looking to use a Twili as it is a LA of 1 and starting level is 7 this is also a gestalt campaign i believe and looking at rogue/sorcerer if i do this once i have my self a car again. What do you guys think ?

Matrota
2017-04-23, 08:13 AM
You should probably post this in the homebrew thread, not here

Uncle Pine
2017-04-23, 08:15 AM
What's a "twili"?

Wartex1
2017-04-23, 09:56 AM
What exactly are you asking?

Is this a Twili as in the Zelda race? Like one from the several Hyrule Setting Homebrews that people have made?

Daefos
2017-04-23, 11:25 AM
Ok guys i have been invited out to my current DM's second campaign in the same universe setting i am looking to use a Twili as it is a LA of 1 and starting level is 7 this is also a gestalt campaign i believe and looking at rogue/sorcerer if i do this once i have my self a car again. What do you guys think ?

I think you're asking for us to evaluate things you can't be bothered to define, and I think you're assuming that we know more about your personal gaming life than we do.

Rogue/sorcerer's a decent gestalt combination though. Knock yourself out.

ATHATH
2017-04-23, 12:56 PM
I think you're asking for us to evaluate things you can't be bothered to define, and I think you're assuming that we know more about your personal gaming life than we do.

Rogue/sorcerer's a decent gestalt combination though. Knock yourself out.
Factotum//Sorcerer is an even better one, though, for future reference.

Arzul
2017-04-30, 07:26 PM
Factotum//Sorcerer is an even better one, though, for future reference.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Twili_(3.5_race) this is the race i found though since there is a rogue already in the group idk if its needed or if a front liner is needed more

JNAProductions
2017-04-30, 07:48 PM
Honestly, that doesn't seem like an LA +1 race. It seems like an LA 0 race. Flight is the only actually good thing they get.

Arzul
2017-04-30, 07:59 PM
Honestly, that doesn't seem like an LA +1 race. It seems like an LA 0 race. Flight is the only actually good thing they get.

well since there is a rogue in the group i had to put this idea on the back burner for now, and go fighter/barbarian which i am used to i have never really played a rogue

atemu1234
2017-04-30, 08:08 PM

Darkness Missile isn't all that awful, depending on how you look at it. Over all, the race needs work, though.

JNAProductions
2017-04-30, 08:10 PM
Darkness Missile isn't all that awful, depending on how you look at it. Over all, the race needs work, though.

Well sure, it's far from bad. It's just not that good either. It's a once per day, handful of d6s for damage. Against one target. You can probably do better single target damage by being a Fighter and charging.

Arzul
2017-04-30, 08:10 PM

you know i think i will use this race and go bard/rogue and say the hell with it lol the group always needs a bard and i might work on it with my DM

Arzul
2017-04-30, 08:16 PM
Well sure, it's far from bad. It's just not that good either. It's a once per day, handful of d6s for damage. Against one target. You can probably do better single target damage by being a Fighter and charging.

maybe but it can be modified with metamagic to boost the damage and add fell drain to it

Waker
2017-04-30, 11:23 PM
maybe but it can be modified with metamagic to boost the damage and add fell drain to it

That isn't actually correct. Your Darkness Missile doesn't have a tag for it, but it seems to be a Spell-Like Abililty. Meaning that while there are a limited number of feats that emulate metamagic, such as Empower Spell-Like Ability, this list is much shorter and doesn't include traits like Fell Drain. You could still take them, but 1/day for a handful of d6 isn't really worth it.
What books and other resources do you have access to for building a character? The other big question is, have you already gotten permission to use a Homebrewed race from your DM?

Arzul
2017-05-01, 12:14 AM
That isn't actually correct. Your Darkness Missile doesn't have a tag for it, but it seems to be a Spell-Like Abililty. Meaning that while there are a limited number of feats that emulate metamagic, such as Empower Spell-Like Ability, this list is much shorter and doesn't include traits like Fell Drain. You could still take them, but 1/day for a handful of d6 isn't really worth it.
What books and other resources do you have access to for building a character? The other big question is, have you already gotten permission to use a Homebrewed race from your DM?

All books he hasn't banned any and this gestalt campaign is all homebrewed its a world that the DM made using stuff he made and some stuff from the books

Waker
2017-05-01, 12:33 AM
With those casting stat bonuses and penalties to physical traits, especially your Con, being a spellcaster seems the best choice. I'd say go Beguiler for one half of your gestalt. Solid access to illusion/enchantment spells, plenty of skills and access to a few useful class features. Plus it would fit somewhat thematically for a character from a Shadowy plane to be a solid illusionist. As a special note, consider making use of Fog spells to counteract bright light.
On the other side, I'd suggest choosing a class to offset your weaknesses. A 3 level dip into Swashbuckler will give you full BAB, a good HD, Fort save and a few other treats. Afterwards you could drop that for Fighter to get more bonus feats.
Your character would end up with D10 HD, Full BAB, 2 good saves, , 6 skill points per level and a good list, 9th level casting and a buttload of feats. You'd wanna play your character as a sneaky mage, which would be simple with your natural flight and illusions. Try to avoid direct combat as that is for someone more dedicated to it.

Arzul
2017-05-01, 12:48 AM
With those casting stat bonuses and penalties to physical traits, especially your Con, being a spellcaster seems the best choice. I'd say go Beguiler for one half of your gestalt. Solid access to illusion/enchantment spells, plenty of skills and access to a few useful class features. Plus it would fit somewhat thematically for a character from a Shadowy plane to be a solid illusionist. As a special note, consider making use of Fog spells to counteract bright light.
On the other side, I'd suggest choosing a class to offset your weaknesses. A 3 level dip into Swashbuckler will give you full BAB, a good HD, Fort save and a few other treats. Afterwards you could drop that for Fighter to get more bonus feats.
Your character would end up with D10 HD, Full BAB, 2 good saves, , 6 skill points per level and a good list, 9th level casting and a buttload of feats. You'd wanna play your character as a sneaky mage, which would be simple with your natural flight and illusions. Try to avoid direct combat as that is for someone more dedicated to it.

its usually how i play a bard staying out of combat except for spells and buffs though i use flare or flash bang items once they would get close lol

Waker
2017-05-01, 11:31 AM
its usually how i play a bard staying out of combat except for spells and buffs though i use flare or flash bang items once they would get close lol

Nothing wrong with the Bard, it's my favorite class after all. Though I would strongly recommend against Bard//Rogue as your character. A good rule of thumb in gestalt is to pair an Active class with a Passive class, one granting you the abilities that you will focus on using with the other shoring up weaknesses in the chassis. In the example I gave earlier, the Swashbuckler and Fighter levels were suggested to grant better BAB, HD and Fort saves, with Beguiler being the one doing most of the real work. Bard//Rogue would be quite weak however since: they both already have d6 HD, medium BAB, similar skills.
If Bard is the class you want to play, some of the classes that could pair up with it are: Battle Dancer, Crusader, Fighter, Marshal. Paladin of Freedom, Warblade.

Arzul
2017-05-01, 11:40 AM
Nothing wrong with the Bard, it's my favorite class after all. Though I would strongly recommend against Bard//Rogue as your character. A good rule of thumb in gestalt is to pair an Active class with a Passive class, one granting you the abilities that you will focus on using with the other shoring up weaknesses in the chassis. In the example I gave earlier, the Swashbuckler and Fighter levels were suggested to grant better BAB, HD and Fort saves, with Beguiler being the one doing most of the real work. Bard//Rogue would be quite weak however since: they both already have d6 HD, medium BAB, similar skills.
If Bard is the class you want to play, some of the classes that could pair up with it are: Battle Dancer, Crusader, Fighter, Marshal. Paladin of Freedom, Warblade.

Well DM quashed the rogue/bard idea lol so i am looking at Fighter/Beguiler Twili race now but i am making a Barbarian/Fighter backup idea with minotaur as its race