PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 ruby vindicator build help with burst

Kersakof
2017-04-22, 06:28 PM
I've made a Ruby Vindicator build that I've been able to turn on at 10, but I'm looking for more things to do damage with at once. So far my burst is around 70 ish damage average with the 8d8 manuever, the sword hit, and burning blade. I'd use power attack more frequently, but I'm afraid of missing. I also have the strength use per day that is allowed in damage calculation.

Next level I'm getting another level of ruby vindicator, and after that I think another level in Sword sage. My current build is crusader 1/cleric 1/swordsage 1/ruby vindicator 7. I'll post my sheet in the description (and the history is just flavor, I know it doesn't fit in the D&D universe.) (or not since I can't post links yet. send me a PM for the sheet, I guess.)

I have two feats I'm not sure on what to do with, and my DM says no divine metamagic or buff stacking (etc. +4 strength from bull strength and +6 strength from divine power)

Current feats: Extra turn charges, power attack, cleave
Weapon: Greatsword, 2d6+3d6 (enhanced +3 keen, acid, shocking, and fire from a weapon gem)
Ranged weapon: Composite longbow +4
Armor: Fullplate +2 (enhanced light fort, ghost ward)
Cloak of resist +1
Cloak of natural armor +1

Str: 18 natural

Rebel7284
2017-04-23, 02:53 AM
How did you enter RKV so early? Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks typically can't be obtained until 5th level.

John Longarrow
2017-04-23, 12:47 PM
Your wealth by level is massively off. At 10th level you should have about 49,000 gp worth of gear (Table 5-1 in DMG Page 135), so your going to have very skewed results regardless of what we advise.

Rebel7284 is right, you need 5 levels in other classes first to get the 8 ranks required for RKV. Most builds are something like cleric-4/crusader-1 to start since both crusader and cleric get knowledge religion as class skills. See ACQUIRING SKILL RANKS on page 61 of the Players handbook.

Kersakof
2017-04-24, 12:00 AM
The game started at level 8, but I tried to make a battle cleric and buff cleric. It didn't have a level penalty, but the massive strength penalty, charisma, and intelligence stats made it next to useless in fighting. I killed it off and came back as a level 10 since we progressed that far. I was however, forced to use level 8 starting gold as a punishment for that.

Thanks for telling me about the knowledge religion though. I dipped into a point of Swordsage because I was focusing too intently on '4 ranks' rather than '8' in religion.

I'm mainly looking now for information on what feats I should look for, or what manuevers/classes to dip into, but yeah. Post limit says I can't post my sheet as a link :x

John Longarrow
2017-04-24, 03:38 AM
I think you've missed two things..
First we would have a very hard time advising you what else you can / should choose since you already have a character that does not conform to the rules. As such, we'd need to know what else your DM is allowing/not allowing since they are not following the guidelines we normally go by.

Second you've got a great sword that, from your description, would be a +6 weapon. +3 weapon, then acid (equal to another +1), shock (another +1), and keen (additional +1). That would place it as costing over 72,000gp just from enchantments. I'm guessing you have over 150,000gp in gear.

As you are playing in a game where the DM isn't enforcing character generation rules and isn't watching keeping your wealth by level close to balanced, I really don't know what advice to give that would make sense in your particular game.

If your group is having fun, great! Just note that most players are use to the rules being followed more closely and DM to try and keep things more balanced. As such many replies you receive may not work for your group.

Kersakof
2017-04-24, 01:05 PM
Ah, okay. My DM made a formula since they didn't like how magic weapons worked. Basically, if you got a level 1 enchantment, it would be 1^1*2000 for armor, for example. 1^1*3000 for weapon. (^ is to the power of) so he made it really beneficial to get a lot of low level upgrades over higher ones. I didn't realize how insane that actually makes it. I'll stop replying then if that's too much of an issue.