PDA

View Full Version : Legends of the Living Storm: The Three Beacons

Monolilith
2017-04-22, 11:50 PM
The letter is of crisp, pale brown parchment with golden fibers throughout. The wax is a pale, shimmering blue, the seal's symbol, a star with six points with three points in one hollow and one in the other. The symbol of Autre, Highcliff's capital, and home to the High Star Kirinen Aberita.

The letter is addressed to you. Perhaps it was left upon your doorstep at midnight, or tucked into your pack as you slept by an ethereal wind, or slid into your hand by a passerby in a black cloak and ice blue tabbard. Perhaps it was given to you by a serious-looking messenger in mithral half-plate, or slid to you by a bartender in a small village who winked as you took it. However you received it - and Delabi knows the High Star got it to you, one way or another - this is a summons you cannot refuse.

You are instructed to leave right away for Highcliff. That the High Star will cover transport costs if need be. That the moment all seven of you are gathered, you will meet for a mission of grave importance.

Her signature is in warm orange ink, sharp and swooping, with a star at its end.

https://s8.postimg.org/dz5kdtkhx/the_letter.png

Autre is called the Gleaming Valley, and not for nothing. The palace is built into the cliff face, town spreading out in the ridged and sweeping valley beneath it. The diversity of architecture is second to none, as is the quality - everything from Underdark-stone cathedrals to Feywild-sung wood lodges, with plenty of Highcliff's signature: Stained glass, stone, and thin sheets of precious materials like crystal, marble, and limestone as accents. The city bustles with a strange serenity, colorful bazaars flowing into quiet business districts, flowing again into warm and homely storefronts and restaurants.

The path to the palace is an easy enough one - it's the main road that leads into and out of the valley, from the aimless streets at its gates to the rich metropolis around the castle walls. The oddly smooth cobblestone is dappled with shimmering stones and opal shards, framed with lamp-posts where eternal blue flames burn, despite the world's endless daylight. As you walk by, you are recognized - people whisper, giggle, stare in awe. Some may even have the daring to approach you - praise your exploits or thank you for your service. Countless people gawk at the Shatterstaff. A teary-eyed man shakes Dwilla's hand as he thanks her for saving his son. Mumbles follow Whisper - a stranger in every way. A child runs up to Reed and asks brightly if she can pet his mount. Aéquitas and Sarlus are hardly strangers, but people always mutter as they pass, for one reason or another. Meanwhile, Silvarel gets as many double takes as pedestrians making wide, fearful berths.

How strange it must be, looking at the pristine blue sky of Highcliff and wonder what kind of armageddon would call the High Star to gather the world's brightest and deadliest together with such... uncharacteristic urgency. But so it begins, as many adventures do: On an otherwise ordinary day.

The palace, glass and crystal spires rising from the highest mountain of Highcliff, is ahead of you, only its iron gates and watchful guards, insistent on opening it only for all seven, between. What do you do?

Daevah
2017-04-23, 05:37 AM
Whisper can appreciate beauty and architecture when she sees it, but all she feels while wandering the streets of Autre is a sense of unease and homesickness. People look at her because she stands out and that's not what it should be like, not what she's used to. This isn't her place, she doesn't belong here. Everything is too gleaming, too bright, and she needs to fight the need to snatch up the little shadows around her and wreath herself in them like an armor for eyes.
Instead she pulls her hood lower, the constant light painful for her eyes even if she isn't as crippled by it as her mother would be. She makes her carefully and steadily to the palace doors, not stopping to browse the streets and vendors.
It is there at her goal that she finds a deeper shadow (maybe a slanted wall, maybe a tree, somewhere to hide from the constant light at least) and leans herself against it like being embraced by an old friend. There Whisper waits with tension, watching the gate, the people, the guards. They said 'seven' would arrive and so far she is one.

Aéquitas
2017-04-23, 10:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4Abzp2h.jpg

Character sheet: Aéquitas (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PG8qfPtOtzeUnUf_PJ_vSr7dnlL0AQtOO4zrnyOuHNg/edit?usp=sharing)
Aéquitas walked along the main road lost in thoughts. It must have been close to six years since he last visited this place and under completely different circumstances. He could still see their faces when he closed his eyes. Screaming and crying, coughing and moaning, or eerily silent, staring into nothingness.
The plague had ravaged these lands killing thousands upon thousands. Men, women, children no one was spared. And from their rotting bodies, foul creatures rose that attacked the ones willing to fight and in doing so spread the plague further and further.
He had led a small resistance against the foul creatures of the beyond that day. The bloodiest fight he had ever been in. So many had fallen, more then ninety percent of the army fallen from grave wounds or the plague itself.
They had won that day and it had almost cost him his life...

Being back on this road, more memories started to come back. People looking at him both horrified and thankful as he got carried back into Highcliff. Mumbling prayers to their Gods, tears in their eyes. Clutching the soldiers arms asking if there were more survivors.
Those same people still mumble when they look at him now, but their looks have changed and they try to avoid his eyes now.

A few teenage boys further along the road try to act tough, yelling some curses at him, eying him defiantly.
Aéquitas chuckles to himself, appreciating the spirit in them and meets their stare. As he does so, he slowly brings up his hand and summons his Runesword "Nightblood".
Black smoke, materialises around his hand slowly taking the form of a silver great sword edged with black runes along the blade. The runes seem to pulse going from dark grey to deep black and back. He holds their gazes till the blade has fully materialised then smiles a sly grin and winks, before putting the blade in the scabbard on his back.

He continues his path along the main road and eventually comes to the enormous gates where he finds the first of this merry band. A female Elfling known as Whisper. He nods at her and finds a spot for himself at the other side of the gate. He expected something bad when he got the summons, but finding Whisper here as well and five more to come...
Lost in thought, fingering the amulet around his neck he waited.

JNAProductions
2017-04-23, 10:48 AM
Dwilla comes into the familiar surroundings, remembering her first visit here. She was awed, the first time-the architecture, the people, the grandeur of the whole thing... It was amazing. Now, though, she's been here enough to grow used to it. She still takes a few moments to admire the pleasant surroundings, but isn't slack-jawed like she was that first time.

She comes in just a little behind Aéquitas, and sees the teens stroke their egos defiantly. She's about to raise her voice when he draws his blade and shuts them up, so she decides to simply let it be.

When she catches up to him and sees Whisper, she comments You know, Aéquitas, you didn't have to be quite so mean to the young ones. Also, hi Whisper! she adds, stepping forward first towards Aéquitas and giving him a hug around his waist, before stepping over to Whisper, arms outstretched. Before she goes in for the hug, though, she looks over Whisper, and asks Are you alright? You seem a bit on edge.

Minescratcher
2017-04-23, 12:44 PM
Reed Bywater stood awe-struck at the entrance to Autre. He had heard tales of the place, but this was his first time seeing it, and it was just as incredible as he had been told. He paused for another moment before continuing along the road to the palace. Halfway there, a child asks to pet his mount. Reed whistled, and the Pterodactyl swooped down from the sky and landed by the child, who stroked it happily before running off. Eventually he reaches the gates - fourth of seven, it seems.

"Greetings all."

He continued to look at the buildings around him, paying only slight attention to the others.

Daevah
2017-04-23, 01:04 PM
Whisper nods respectfully at the Aasimar, a rare sight for her eyes.
Then her eyes get drawn in by the halfling, another rare sight. First her eyes widen at the unexpected almost-hug, then she offers a nervous yet sincere smile under her cloth mask. "I'm good, just not... used to the brightness. And constant daylight. It's odd for one from Umbra."
Then another halfling arrives on the scene and she nods at him as well. Only on the markets did she see them from time to time, as those were the most 'light-flooded' places those without darksight would frequent. Whisper wondered who else would show up for their little party as she watches the three arrivals curiously.

Aéquitas
2017-04-23, 01:59 PM

Character sheet: Aéquitas (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PG8qfPtOtzeUnUf_PJ_vSr7dnlL0AQtOO4zrnyOuHNg/edit?usp=sharing)

"Haha, they kind of asked for it. And hey we need to see what the new generation is made off every now and then, they are the future after all. One day these lands will depend on them! It really warms my heart to see you here Dwilla. I never did get the chance to thank you. If you and your team hadn't found that miracle cure six years ago, I wouldn't be standing here today." Aéquitas said smiling at her.

Then looking a bit more seriously he placed his hand on her shoulder and added: "This world needs more miracles. Thank you Dwilla."

As he walked back to take his place next to the gate, he muttered a small prayer for her under his breath.

JNAProductions
2017-04-23, 02:12 PM
Reed Bywater stood awe-struck at the entrance to Autre. He had heard tales of the place, but this was his first time seeing it, and it was just as incredible as he had been told. He paused for another moment before continuing along the road to the palace. Halfway there, a child asks to pet his mount. Reed whistled, and the Pterodactyl swooped down from the sky and landed by the child, who stroked it happily before running off. Eventually he reaches the gates - fourth of seven, it seems.

"Greetings all."

He continued to look at the buildings around him, paying only slight attention to the others.

Hello! Dwilla replies, taking a moment to look away from Whisper.

Whisper nods respectfully at the Aasimar, a rare sight for her eyes.
Then her eyes get drawn in by the halfling, another rare sight. First her eyes widen at the unexpected almost-hug, then she offers a nervous yet sincere smile under her cloth mask. "I'm good, just not... used to the brightness. And constant daylight. It's odd for one from Umbra."
Then another halfling arrives on the scene and she nods at him as well. Only on the markets did she see them from time to time, as those were the most 'light-flooded' places those without darksight would frequent. Whisper wondered who else would show up for their little party as she watches the three arrivals curiously.

Fair enough. Well, Dwilla says, offering her hand out to shake (since the hug seemed to come as a shock) I'm sure you'll adjust before too long. And if not, Kirinen can find someplace nice and dark for you to relax in.

"Haha, they kind of asked for it. And hey we need to see what the new generation is made off every now and then, they are the future after all. One day these lands will depend on them! It really warms my heart to see you here Dwilla. I never did get the chance to thank you. If you and your team hadn't found that miracle cure six years ago, I wouldn't be standing here today." Aéquitas said smiling at her.

Then looking a bit more seriously he placed his hand on her shoulder and added: "This world needs more miracles. Thank you Dwilla."

As he walked back to take his place next to the gate, he muttered a small prayer for her under his breath.

After shaking Whisper's hand, she turns to face Aéquitas, saying Still, meanie! with a chuckle. When the man turns more serious, though she offers a warm smile up to him. Thank my whole family, Aéquitas. We all worked hard on it, and we're proud to be able to help people. But still-nice to be appreciated.

Ursus the Grim
2017-04-23, 04:24 PM
The eyes of the residents of Highcliff were upon him yet again. Again, he felt them, and found himself wondering what the people thought of him. None had dared openly mock or scorn him, at least. But nor had they welcomed him back with open arms, when all he had brought back was the shattered sword that lightly clanged against his mythril faulds. Perhaps I should have returned alongside the other six, he mused. If he had, perhaps their attention would have been upon the strangers, the other adventurers, and he would have been allowed to fade from notice.

He knew very little about what awaited the recipients of those letters - he knew only that it must have been of grave importance for the High Star, sovereign of his land, heart, and mind, to call them from across such vast distances. That made him nervous - did she have a backup plan? Was there another stack of beautiful envelopes, ready to go out if they failed? Would some other servant of hers hand such a letter to a human lord after he himself had perished?

Standing before the final stretch to Autre, Sarlus steeled himself. These were bound to be loud personalities - mercenaries as accomplished as they did not shrink from confrontation. They would also be the type to stay informed - the type that would likely recognize him, whether by virtue of 'the incident' or perhaps a previous, more recent meeting. Checking the strap on his mask and brushes an errant feather back into its braid, he walked closer.

"I'm glad you made it safely."

It wasn't much as far as greetings went, but it would have to serve. He scanned each face present, ticking off the mental list of the expected attendees. There was Dwilla, of course - the lauded scion of the Toscobbles and better servant of the realm than Sarlus ever thought he could be. There was Reed, the lizard-rider halfling, whom Sarlus knew had once lived a quiet life. Then there was Aequitas himself - if Dwilla was a reminder of what Sarlus was not, Aequitas was a reminder of what Sarlus wanted to be. He quickly averted his eyes and settled on the final face present.

His eyes widened, and the hint of a smile slipped across the exposed half of his visage - she was a drowling! He couldn't tell how much of her was human (or some other less interesting race), but he had to repress the urge to make small talk with the person who could only be Whisper. He forced himself to look elsewhere - this time, to guards standing before the gates.

"I don't believe this is all of us."

JNAProductions
2017-04-23, 04:35 PM
It's not-but there's yet time. Well... At least we can hope there's time, Dwilla says, growing somber for a moment, pondering what their mission might be. Also, a pleasure to meet you, Sarlus. I think we might've seen each other before, here in the city, but I don't think we've ever properly met.

technoRomancer
2017-04-23, 10:07 PM
Orden took his time meandering the streets of Autre on his way to the palace, trawling the bazaars and trade districts for anything new and interesting. It was impossible to get lost when one's destination was the palace, the landmark ever gleaming on the cliffside ahead of him. He had been to the grand capital of Highcliff on several occasions, as it had its fair share of master smiths and craftsmen, though his breed of experimenters weren't quite as common here as the other planes. The people of the Celestial Plane seemed to prefer reliability, the tried and true. Still, the unmistakable sound of the Shatterstaff heralding his appearance on a battlefield had become a reason to cheer across all the Planes. Even if those who recognized him (or more likely, the weapon) on the streets were just as like to cast uncertain glances or call their children inside as they were to greet him with praise.

Soon enough, however, Orden could put this meeting off no longer. He was one of the last to arrive, it seemed, though he wasn't late. The dwarf approached the others already assembled, his beard turned up by a smile hidden beneath its straggly and partly-singed mass. Armored from head to toe, the many tools and odd devices strapped across him clanked and creaked with every step, the long tube of the Shatterstaff slung on his back a conspicuous silhouette. He had never met any of these adventurers before, though he knew most by reputation - he couldn't quite remember most of their names, though. In truth Orden paid little attention to trivialities like 'current events' or 'local news.'

"Good afternoon, fellows!" the dwarf greeted crisply, his voice seeming a bit gravelly but otherwise friendly. "Are we waiting on anyone else? Or was I the last? I've been working on a handheld timekeeping device that may help coordinate meetings such as this. It's not perfected yet but I'm sure it'll prove invaluable! If I can get it small enough. The prototypes are still a bit, er, unwieldy!" he chuckled, miming a large, boxy shape with his hands. The soot-stained gauntlets he wore were a bit strange - heavy plates covered the back of his hands, but his fingers were exposed, guarded only by thin but durable leather. It was obvious retaining as much manual dexterity as possible was important to him. Taking a deep breath, Orden looked about ready to launch into a long and detailed explanation of the principles behind the device.

Daevah
2017-04-24, 06:20 AM
Whisper shakes Dwilla's hand (some memory about a plague tickles her mind at the name) with a firm grip and a nod, musing about the idea of the Highstar sending out servants in all corners of the palace to find a spot dark enough to be appropriate for an Umbra-dweller. The thought almost makes her smile. Tunnel and stone, how do people sleep with it being so bright all the time?

She glances over to the arriving... Sarlus, they said?... slightly bemused at the ghost of a smile the second Aasimar throws her. And then there is the dwarf, another colorful figure in their bunch, having Whisper tilt her head in confusion at the words that flow out of his mouth in streams. Timekeeping? Prototype?...

"Greetings," she says to the new arrivals, then looks at everyone around her. "We do indeed still seem to be missing one. Also," Whisper adds with a slight lowering of her head and apology in her voice, ""you all do seem to have me at a disadvantage. I don't... socialize a lot in the Underdark and while I am aware that you are all figures of proven power, I don't think I know nearly as much about you as you seem to know about me. Forgive my ignorance." Feeling slightly lost in this sea of important figures, she slightly shrugs her shoulders sheepishly.

JNAProductions
2017-04-24, 06:30 AM
Hello, Orden! Is the timepiece purely clockwork? Dwilla asks, genuinely curious.

When Whisper asks for forgiveness, though, Dwilla turns to face the woman and says There's nothing that needs forgiveness. You might not know us, but so long as you treat us like we should be treated, there's not a thing wrong with your actions.

After a beat, Dwilla realizes that might've come out a bit wrong, and hastily adds And by treating us how we should be, I mean politely and kindly. Not like you need to be bending a knee or anything! No, I mean, just treat us like you would people. Because we are. People, that is.

Daevah
2017-04-24, 06:49 AM
Whisper laughs softly, eyes crinkling around the corners at her smile. "That I can do, I think. Treat you like people, you know." She winks and does a little friendly mock bow, before leaning back against the tree, a bit more at ease and waiting. She does still eye the surrounding people with unintrusive curiosity though.

Minescratcher
2017-04-24, 03:29 PM
Reed chuckles slightly. "I certainly don't need any special treatment."

He turns to the group at large and speaks up a little bit louder. "It's good to meet all of you, even those I've heard much about."

As if to end his sentence, he whistles sharply. A moment later, a pterodactyl swoops from the sky and lands next to him. He strokes its head, then pulls a fish from his backpack and tosses it in front of the creature.

Ursus the Grim
2017-04-24, 07:21 PM
Sarlus' head drops, half-concealing his chin in a feathered collar as another, and perhaps the final, hero arrives. There's something of a scowl - everything about the dwarf offends his senses. Short and loud, where he was tall and brooding. Clunky steel, where he wore mythril and silk. Mad, unpredictable contraptions, when he was in full control of his magic and mysticism. The dwarf destroyed through external gadgets. The aasimar destroyed through internal mastery.

Yet, the wielder of the Shatterstaff was undeniably a good person. Sarlus had to grant him that.

Sarlus shakes his head, trying to focus on what made him happy. A hero from Umbra who wasn't aware of his history? The gods were feeling graceful today, by putting him in the company of Whisper. Here was a rare chance to define himself, to start anew.

"Well then. I am a humble servant of the High Star and an emissary to the Deep Plane. I'm not nearly as accomplished as our esteemed Dwilla, nor the legendary Aequitas, but you'll find no myrmidon more loyal to our Queen than I. My abilities summon flame and light to cleanse, stone and wood to protect, and - "

He was bragging.

"One more. A freedom fighter."

Daevah
2017-04-25, 09:53 AM
Whisper stares at the creature the halfling had summoned in unabashed awe. While not the prettiest of animals, it looked fascinating. There were not a lot of things that could fly in the Underdark and most of them had already killed you before you could stop and look, so she used the rare chance to take it in without having to fear for her life.

And then there was Sarlus, if she had caught that correctly. He seemed to be at least as uncomfortable as she was, even if she couldn't catch why. Well, she had barely traded two words with these people, so she decided to give it some time.

"Sounds like you have proven your worth to the Highstar, Sarlus. I am Whisper. I mostly just lurk in shadows, lend a hand where help is needed and beat up the bad guys." She settled herself more comfortably against what she was leaning on and crossed her arms with a smile. "I'm sure our last member will be arriving soon then. I mean, it's barely..." Whisper faltered. Morning? Noon? Midnight?

What a strange place. And what a colorful group of people. They seem to have good hearts all around, though. She could feel herself become a little more at ease around them.

JNAProductions
2017-04-25, 10:03 AM
Reed chuckles slightly. "I certainly don't need any special treatment."

He turns to the group at large and speaks up a little bit louder. "It's good to meet all of you, even those I've heard much about."

As if to end his sentence, he whistles sharply. A moment later, a pterodactyl swoops from the sky and lands next to him. He strokes its head, then pulls a fish from his backpack and tosses it in front of the creature.

Dwilla looks at the dinosaur and steps towards it. She asks Are they male? Or female? And can I pet them?

Minescratcher
2017-04-25, 04:00 PM
Dwilla looks at the dinosaur and steps towards it. She asks Are they male? Or female? And can I pet them?

"Bill is male," Reed chuckles. "Go ahead and pet him, he doesn't bite." Bill screeches loudly before gulping down his fish.

JNAProductions
2017-04-25, 09:23 PM
Alright, Bill-nice to meet you! Dwilla says with a little laugh as she pets the pterodactyl's head, gently stroking his neck. You're a beautiful beast-and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! she adds.

Sicarius Victis
2017-04-26, 07:06 PM
Silvarel Kaenthe was late, and she knew that she was late. She also knew that she was covered in ashes, but she hadn't had time to clean herself up before going to the introduction. She was late enough as it is, and she didn't want to keep her new allies waiting too long. So she took a moment to dust the ash off her face, and began to speak.

"Hello, all. Sorry I'm late. On the way to the meeting,
I ran into some matters that required my attention. Don't worry, nobody was injured. Well, not fatally. Anyways, I guess I ought to introduce myself. My name is Silvarel Kaenthe, and I'm a wandering warrior. Honestly, there's not much else to tell there. It's nice to meet you, I suppose."

Minescratcher
2017-04-26, 07:41 PM
Silvarel Kaenthe was late, and she knew that she was late. She also knew that she was covered in ashes, but she hadn't had time to clean herself up before going to the introduction. She was late enough as it is, and she didn't want to keep her new allies waiting too long. So she took a moment to dust the ash off her face, and began to speak.

"Hello, all. Sorry I'm late. On the way to the meeting,
I ran into some matters that required my attention. Don't worry, nobody was injured. Well, not fatally. Anyways, I guess I ought to introduce myself. My name is Silvarel Kaenthe, and I'm a wandering warrior. Honestly, there's not much else to tell there. It's nice to meet you, I suppose."

"Good to meet you too. I'm Reed Bywater," Reed replied as he took in her appearance. "That's all of us, isn't it?"

JNAProductions
2017-04-26, 10:15 PM
Dwilla counts everyone up, then nods. Seven is the number, and seven there shall be. Well then-now we get let in?

technoRomancer
2017-04-26, 10:40 PM
When Dwilla showed an interest in his timepiece, Orden began fishing around in his pockets and satchels for one of his prototypes, but shortly they were both distracted by the arrival of the other halfling's daunting saurian companion. His eyes widened in appreciation as he waddled around the creature, tilting his head this way and that to study from different angles. "Oh, that is quite an impressive beast! Biology's not my forte, but anatomy is certainly a useful thing for someone like me to study. I've contemplated the possibilities of some sort of flying harness, though it's still just in the early conceptual stages. I'd love the opportunity to study... er, Bill's..? wing mechanics. So very different from a bird's! And yet, so many interesting parallels too..."

When the last of their number approached, Orden hardly seemed fazed by her appearance. Indeed, he wasn't much more pristine himself at the moment, though he wasn't entirely unpresentable either. But some stains were stubborn in steel and leather alike, no matter what kind of solvents he devised.

Aéquitas
2017-04-27, 06:56 AM

Orden was it right? I couldn't help but overhear you talk to miss Dwilla, about what you were working on. A handheld timepiece I think you said? That really does sound very interesting. Imagine something like that embedded in a delicate piece of jewelry...
Aéquitas said, slightly trailing off

Anyways, it's always nice to meet a fellow craftsman. I used to work the forges myself. Mending and modifying my armour or working on delicate pieces of silver. It always calmed me. There is something relaxing about the fires of a forge and the sounds of metal on metal. Creating something, instead of destroying. Maybe when this is over we can work the forge together sometime. I bet I could learn a thing or two from you.

Soon thereafter, the last of their party arrived covered in ash. Introducing herself as Silvarel. A wandering warrior, not much unlike himself then..
What an interesting group the High Star had gathered. He couldn't help himself but smile.

Shall we then?

Daevah
2017-04-27, 09:31 AM
Whisper bows her head and tugs at her hood as if tipping a hat in greeting in Silvarel's direction, amused by the state of her appearance. It was understandable though. Helping out someone in need took precedence over showing up for a ruler's summon on time. But she had a feeling that the striking woman and her attention-grabbing appearance was exactly that, an eye-catcher. Whisper smiled to herself. She liked people like that, all the better for those moving in the shadows.

After taking another long look around the assembled group, she got herself ready for whatever would follow soon. Let's see what fate has in store for me and my new acquaintances then, she mused, gazing at the guards and the iron gates.

Monolilith
2017-04-27, 01:56 PM
A guard looks up to the sky for a moment, touching a strange ear wrap, then nods to their companion. "Yes, that's everyone. We'll open the gates for you now. Someone will lead you to the High Star's meeting chambers."

The other guard gives a crisp whistle, and the gates shudder and then open with surprising speed. A person in a capelet and a mithral breastplate emerges from the palace, nods to the seven, and beckons them inside, walking at a steady, quick pace through the impressive glass doors of the palace.

Inside, it's not quite as blindingly luminous as one might expect (and, well, as the rest of Autre, save a few Underfolk districts). The atmosphere is gentle, almost, blue glass and silvery precious stone replaced with ashen ore and obsidian. Braziers every few feet light the way for those lacking darksight, as do windows with thick but not fully obfuscating curtains in delicate blues and vibrant oranges. Similar fabrics are draped along some walls to add bits of warmth and color, alongside tasteful pieces of historical art. It's peaceful - even the guards in light cloaks and elegant splint mail talk softly and trade jokes, as scholars granted space within the palace bustle along and senators in formal garb converse about this legislation or that, and whatever madness the High Star is cooking up next in open rooms to the sides of the wide, comfortable halls.

It's homely. Homely in an elegant way, a magical way. There may be some deeper secret to it, too, if one versed in the arcane arts or history dared to take a closer look.

Their guide takes them through an elegant throne room, draped with banners bearing the same starry insignia where a throne rests before rows of chairs and desks where the senators sit, the Speaker's desk to the left of the throne and the Head Courier's to the right. This room has a heavier aura, a serious and professional one - this is a room where big things happen, for certain. But shortly it's behind them, as the guide takes them through one of the two doors on the throne wall and up a winding, but not difficult, staircase.

At the top of it, the walls turn to blue glass again, though it's so thick that the cool light filtering inside is comparable to early morning more than high noon. Aequitas and Sarlus have been in this room before - it's the one just below her personal quarters, where her professional belongings rest. Seven chairs, identical but built to accommodate diverse sizes of people with equal comfort, are drawn up around a curved mahogany desk bearing parchment, a pale blue quill, a stack of papers, and a map of Teybel Minora, all the way out to the precipice. A few sending stones rest before the writing space of the desk, all silent. The walls have numerous cabinets along them, that seem to contain anything from archives to arcane tools - indeed, one has a glass case at its center, where a graceful, intimidating rapier rests in crushed sapphire velvet.

"Her Radiance will arrive shortly," the guide says, giving the seven a nod. "Make yourselves at home. On behalf of all Highcliff, I thank you for coming so promptly." And then, they turn to go, leaving you alone with one another for a moment.

JNAProductions
2017-04-27, 05:32 PM
Arcana [roll0]
With advantage? Because I've been here before, and this isn't my first time examining it? [roll1]

And same for History.
[roll2]
[roll3]

For those of you that haven't met the High Star before, I promise you she's quite the nice person. Perhaps a bit overly formal, for my tastes, but I guess that comes with the position, Dwilla says.

Could I get a description of the High Star's personality? I don't want to take too many liberties with that, since I'm sure you have plenty planned for her, but, well, Dwilla has met her before, and would know what she's like.

Minescratcher
2017-04-27, 05:53 PM
"This is certainly a nice place. Looks like I'm getting special treatment whether I need it or not," Reed said with a small smile.

Bill the giant flying dinosaur has been left outside.

Sicarius Victis
2017-04-27, 05:53 PM
"Then I can't help but get the strangest feeling that this will be too formal for me, as well...

But I suppose that's just what comes of something like this. Too late for me to back out now, I'd say."

Arcana check for me as well.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2017-04-27, 05:56 PM
"This is certainly a nice place. Looks like I'm getting special treatment whether I need it or not," Reed said with a small smile.

Bill the giant flying dinosaur has been left outside.

They treat everyone nice here, so long as they're respectful back.

"Then I can't help but get the strangest feeling that this will be too formal for me, as well...

But I suppose that's just what comes of something like this. Too late for me to back out now, I'd say."

Arcana check for me as well.

[roll0]

And yeah... I'd offer some advice, but considering the time I... Well... Um... Dwilla says, turning a bright shade of red as she remembers her embarrassing incident. Erm... Let's just say I'm bad at formal advice.

Sicarius Victis
2017-04-27, 06:01 PM
"Alright, now this sounds like a story I really want to hear. Don't worry, it can't be much worse than some of the things I've done."

JNAProductions
2017-04-27, 06:13 PM
"Alright, now this sounds like a story I really want to hear. Don't worry, it can't be much worse than some of the things I've done."

Do I have to? Dwilla asks. But, seeing the insistence, she folds. Alright, alright. I'll talk.

So, there's this guy here-his name is Geoffrey. Fantastic guy, really-and built like a dream. So, we were talking, and laughing, and having a good time-a very good time-when we were informed that the meal was ready. We went down to the dining hall, interrupting our, ah, activities, and started eating. But our dinner partners were called away, so it was just me and Geoffrey left. Well, being alone...

Anyway, point is, one of them found me under the table with Geoffrey's pants around his ankles, Dwilla says, blushing crimson as a ruby. So... Um... Lesson learned, I guess?

Monolilith
2017-04-27, 06:36 PM
Dwilla, with a History of 20, you know well that the Palace of Autre was built with the High Star herself in mind. The crystals were intentionally shaped around a massive sigil that she, according to some rumours, actually has tattooed somewhere on her body, thus tuning it to her power force. The reason WHY is kept rather hush-hush, but naturally, you can deduce from what you've heard that it can light up like a lethal, radiant beacon in the case of invasion. Or so they say.

Silvarel, you run your hand along the wall and feel a current of power humming beneath the glass and stone. Just looking at the way the outer hall curves, and counting the pattern of the windows, you figure out (and have every right to be smug about it) that the palace is an enormous conductor attuned to a source of intense radiant energy. one that you suspect rests in the highest spire. Odds are, the entire palace can be set alight like an angry Scourge , slaughtering anyone with an impure heart (or something like that) inside. When the guide leads you up to what is, indeed, the highest spire - the High Star's quarters - it comes together like a fun little puzzle: The palace is like the High Star's giant weapon. Sick.

Indeed you have met her, Dwilla, and 'a bit uptight' is... probably the last thing anyone would ever say about her, hilariously enough. She has a surprisingly dirty sense of humor, and she's as charismatic as she is intelligent, and both of those as much as she is kind: Extremely. All of you who have met her even momentarily can agree on that, and that no one can imagine anyone else leading Highcliff - no one else in all Teybel loves it as deeply, as fiercely as she does, and few have made the sacrifices she's made for its people.

And no one else can tell a truly degenerate joke with that amount of regal grace. How does she DO it? How does she smile sweetly and smugly as an entire room roars with laughter?

Sicarius Victis
2017-04-27, 07:44 PM
"Eh, that's actually not so bad. Embarassing, maybe, but not bad. But since you were willing to tell me your story, I suppose it would only be fair if I told one of my stories as well. As long as you want to hear it, of course."

JNAProductions
2017-04-27, 07:49 PM
"Eh, that's actually not so bad. Embarassing, maybe, but not bad. But since you were willing to tell me your story, I suppose it would only be fair if I told one of my stories as well. As long as you want to hear it, of course."

Yes please, Dwilla says, still blushing.

technoRomancer
2017-04-27, 08:23 PM
Orden was too absorbed in studying the crystal architecture of the Palace to really pay attention to the conversation around him, even when it began to turn a bit lewd. He'd been around the city before, but never had the opportunity to really study the High Star's impressive edifice up close. Every minute or so he'd mumble something under his breath, like "Fascinating!" or "Remarkable..." and the occasional "By the First Foundry!"

When Reed mentioned special treatment, Orden seemed to refocus on the group with a bit of a start, as if he'd forgotten he wasn't alone. "Oh! I wonder how receptive the High Star might be to constructing an addition to the spire that would allow quick access or egress from the sky? And of course your Bill would have an easy perch."

Arcana with double proficiency from Jewelcraft? Subtract 5 if that wouldn't apply. [roll0]

Sicarius Victis
2017-04-27, 08:36 PM
Yes please, Dwilla says, still blushing.

"Well, I suppose this story requires a bit of an explanation, but most people felt the story made up for that. As people tend to notice, my magic happens to give me a certain amount of control over fire. While that's not exactly uncommon, how I access the magic is a bit more unusual. My magic comes to me based off of my emotions, and is shaped by my dances. While it's certainly not a bad way to do it, it makes things a bit...unpredictable.

So basically, in my travels I've met a lot of people. At one point ín time,
I'd found myself a guest of a minor noble house. Now, normally these nobles wouldn't have spared me even a glance, but apparently they figured I'd be a decent weapon to threaten their political rivals with. I didn't really know the difference at the time, though, so it took me a while to figure it out. Anyways, one day I found myself at a decent-sized party. Of course, I didn't really fit in, but it was interesting nonetheless. Eventually, I found myself dancing with the heir of the noble house in question. It turned out that we'd both had a bit too much drink at the time, and during the dance he started to tell me just why they were willing to take me as a guest. I didn't get a chance to say anything, as he just kept talking, but I felt myself starting to get rather annoyed. Pretty soon, he and I were dancing again. This time though, the dance was a bit different. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was instinctively doing one of my own dances. So partway through the dance, just when I'd had enough of him and was going to walk away, he burst into flames. I didn't know that was my fault, and thought it was just some sort of illusion prank, so I just burst out laughing. It took me a minute to figure out what I had done, and it took another before the nobles got it as well. Soon after, I found myself tossed out of the party, sworn as an enemy of the noble house, and on the road again.

So while you may have done some embarassing things, I doubt you've done anything quite as bad as accidentally setting a noble on fire in a party hosted by his family and filled with their political allies."

JNAProductions
2017-04-27, 08:46 PM
Oh. Oh gosh, yes, that is worse, Dwilla says, wrapping her arms around Sil's waist in a hug. I hope the noble fellow was okay-they sound like jackasses, but not bad enough to be burned.

Sicarius Victis
2017-04-27, 09:05 PM
Silvarel returns the hug, a little nonplussed.

"Don't worry, he turned out relatively fine in the end. It really wasn't much of a fire, so the only real damage done there was to his pride. And really, I'd say he did deserve that.

I mean, pretty soon after he was swearing vengeance 'for the humiliation done to him' if we ever cross paths again, so I'd say that the magic could have done a lot worse to him."

Ursus the Grim
2017-04-27, 11:28 PM
Sarlus quietly took a seat, folding his hands neatly in his lap, palms cupped and thumbs touching, listening to the chatter of his would-be comrades. It was almost amusing to hear them talk about the upcoming meeting, with a mixture of what sounded like fear and discomfort - he did not waste the breath reassuring them. They would be pleasantly surprised soon enough. Dwilla's bawdy anecdote did make him blush ever so slightly - Kirinen's own raunchy tales had inured him to such things, but not fully. It would be a while before Sarlus could start conversation with Dwilla, much less look her in the eyes after that one.

Desperate for something to latch onto, he gravitated towards the person there who interested him the most - the drowling. She seemed the most introverted, reserved. Possibly the most uncomfortable in such a place, though Sarlus was not fully confident in his ability to read people. Turning slightly in his seat to face her, his voice shook noticeably as he addressed Whisper.

"Whisper, correct? Tell me if this is too personal, but I'm curious about your experiences with drow culture. Were you raised drow? How do you feel about their matriarchy?"

Daevah
2017-04-28, 02:50 AM
Whisper takes in her surroundings with a keen eye, but as always in this new realm, she is easily overwhelmed by the new impressions and instead focuses more on those around her. She had a good feeling for what happened around her if she didn't concentrate on something single too hard. Even in the room she hangs back by the shadow of the door, waiting for the others to choose their places and not hiding a smile, even a small, breathy chuckle at the stories told. It was... nice to have some openness around her. She could easily see it, her father growing up here in between them, laughing along and sharing his stories with just as much delight and interest as they showed.

Shaking the memory off, Whisper concentrates back on the present and finds herself surprised by being spoken to by Sarlus. A curious one, that one. Almost as quiet as her, but she wonders if it comes to him as naturally. "Drow culture? I certainly lived it in a way," Whisper muses, thinking back. As she is speaking, she is pulling down the cloth in front of her mouth and lets it hang around her neck, as well as dragging down the hood, now comfortable enough to do so around them even with the Highstar on the way. "From an outside perspective, it would have certainly seemed that my mother was in charge, but in truth they were equals in all that mattered. But I believe my parents would have raised me the same no matter what gender I might have chosen after birth. Kind, but strong-minded. And the matriarchy?" She shrugs a tad. "It's what's normal for me. I never put much thought to it, to be honest."

Monolith, if you want to give me some pointers on your Drow culture (or culture down there in general) except for what we already spoke about, I'm all ears!

Aéquitas
2017-04-28, 04:38 AM

As Aéquitas was led into the room a feeling of peace washed over him. The smell of the polished mahogany, the stacks of paper on the desk, the cool light coming through the thick blue glass.
The room looked and smelled exactly as he remembered, like nothing had changed, except for himself.
He fingered the key she had given him that day. When she had set him on this dark path. It jolted a memory of that fateful day

"... that very paragon of power and terror is what this world needs, Aéquitas. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry that I cannot in good conscience help you... but it's true. The Beacons will fall, and we will need legends. Do you understand?... she had said.

And then she had stroked his hair and told him she believed in him too.
If he concentrated hard enough, he could still feel her touch. So light and warm.

He found himself smiling again.

Just be yourselves everyone. The Gods see everything, everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of them. So let your intentions be good and your words speak truth and all should be well.

He took a last look around the chamber taking it all in, a feeling of calmness coming over him and sat down.

Monolilith
2017-04-28, 11:32 AM
Honestly, in Teybel Minora? just cut out the bits with Lolth and pure evil, and the more seclusionist aspects. Driders do exist - some are warlocks who took a few too many steps out of line, others are arcane priests seeking enlightenment. The matriarchy also exists, but it's considered outdated in the modern day, as are the more highly religious (Zariah-worshipping) sides of things. For example, it used to be considered ethnic betrayal for a drow to worship Andustin, a transgender god of light (his hosts are always DFAB), but most drow aside from the ones that are damn near on their deathbed know today that that stuff doesn't help anyone. Also, spiders are considered sacred, but more in a spiritual way than a divine way. Ranchos!

Do note, though, that on Teybel Mayora, things are pretty different.

technoRomancer
2017-04-30, 12:36 PM
As he chattered on about magical architecture and the pros and cons of crystal as a building material, Orden absently chose a seat and didn't seem to notice he was already sitting until everyone else started to do the same. His chair was one of the squater, broader ones, well-suited for a dwarf, but he'd somehow managed to common sense to leave the shortest seats for the halflings. He slowly drifted into a comfortable silence for a moment, eyes eagerly taking in the various interesting things the room contained - not the least of which were his soon-to-be companions.

Minescratcher
2017-04-30, 12:45 PM
Reed sat down as well, chuckling at the stories being told. He almost wished he had a similar tale, but... all in all, it was probably for the best that he didn't. He looked around, waiting for the High Star to arrive.

JNAProductions
2017-04-30, 01:21 PM
Dwilla, seeing everyone else sit down, grabs one of the shortest chairs for herself. She's still blushing a little from her story, but seems to be recovering from her embarrassment.

Daevah
2017-04-30, 02:03 PM
With everyone finding their places, Whisper begins to feel out of place at being the only one still standing. With quick, fluid steps she takes her seat, feet firmly planted on the ground and elbows on her knees, fingers hanging loosely folded.
"Then let us see what this High Star is all about," she says quietly, more to herself than anyone special. The weight of the letter feels heavy in her pocket.

Monolilith
2017-04-30, 07:59 PM
After a moment, as everyone grows silent... a faint noise comes from upstairs, and then someone descends the crystalline spiral staircase. Female, tall and lithe, in a flowing ice-blue and black dress. Her hair is tied up on her head and flowing down from the half-bun to her shoulders, roots glowing a gentle, sunny golden. An ornamental archer's brace decorates her left arm, exposed shoulders and back dappled with freckles that twinkle like stars. Her eyes skate across the room, then settle on the seven before her, head tilting just a bit.

https://s24.postimg.org/8hij0619h/star_baaabe.png

"Thank goodness," she murmurs, a hand laying over her chest as a smile stretches across her face. "I swear I almost had a heart attack before I realized it was you all.

Gingerly, the High Star in all her gentle radiance sits, fingers steepling as her elbows prop on her desk. "I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you that we have much to discuss, and not a lot of time to discuss it in. But before I continue... thank you. All of you, for coming here. For some -" she nods with a small smile to and Sarlus - "I know it was hardly a great journey. But for others among you -" her eyes settle almost apologetically on Whisper - "simply coming here was a feat in and of itself. On behalf of all Teybel, I extend my greatest thanks for your dedication and understanding.

"I promise, all will be explained. But before I can say more, I must say this: What I am to ask of you seven is a feat that has never been accomplished. Never. If you accept, I will send you somewhere where I cannot guarantee your safety, or even your survival. There will be no rescue. No backup. No miracle. You will either succeed, and save Teybel, or you will die trying. If any of you feel you are not up to this task, or do not wish to endanger yourselves so greatly for any amount of wealth or glory, you may leave. I promise, I would understand. But know, also, that there are no backups. It is the seven of you... or no one.

"I would take this mission myself, but I cannot leave Highcliff - not now. Please understand. You may leave now, if you so choose; there is no turning back if you do not."

JNAProductions
2017-04-30, 08:03 PM
Kirinen, you know I'd give my life for our world. I'd much rather live through it, Dwilla says with a slightly nervous laugh, but if I have to die for this... Well. I can only hope my death won't be in vain.

Ursus the Grim
2017-04-30, 08:21 PM
Sarlus did not meet Kirinen's eyes. Not when she descended the stairs, not when she took her place, not even when he felt her gaze upon him. Even to note the freckles on her gentle, smiling visage felt like some sort of blasphemy. He wasn't sure the others belonged here, but he knew he certainly didn't. Yet, her words inspired him. They always had. She had summoned him because he was one of only seven people who could perform this task for her. For all his failings, he was still mightier than most. His pulse quickened, his ears turned a light shade of pink as his blood began to rush.

"I appreciate the chance to turn back, your Grace. You know I shall not, even if there are fewer than seven of us who continue forwards."

He could feel the nervous energy in his body, the warmth of his inner flame being fed, the rapid tap of his foot, the imperceptible clenching and relaxing of his fists. There was a chance here, a chance to accomplish a feat worthy of a true hero - worthy of the High Star's servant.

Daevah
2017-05-01, 04:48 AM
Whisper watches the famed High Star with careful curiosity. A trueborn leader... and maybe warrior, too? The same feeling of affinity that had risen in her for the leader that had cared for her own world is not hitting her here, but she feels like she could respect Kirinen. Whisper gives the ghost of a smile at Kirinen addressing her and a slight nod, listening to the words in silence.

A weariness overcomes her at what is said. She had been warned, of a sort, and she had known her way before the High Star had spoken her first word. It is a weariness of a person knowing they have no choice and would not choose differently even if given another way. A rare instance in which the fate of the world and personal, chosen destiny are woven into one, dark thread for the future.

"No glory and no wealth, is needed. I will keep the Underdark safe or I will take my last step on this journey with whoever chooses to stand beside me." Taking a deep breath to brush the tiredness off of her shoulders, Whisper gives the aura of someone who is personally finished with the conversation and patiently waiting for the next step.

Aéquitas
2017-05-01, 06:00 AM

As the High Star descended the stairs Aéquitas looked around the table. He remembered his first time meeting her. Was he just as nervous as some of the people around this table seem to be? He honestly couldn't remember. Then again he was more dead then alive back then, still recovering from that foul plague.
He focussed on the High Star now, taking in her gentle radiance. Her message was as he expected, a dangerous mission with a slim chance of survival... ever since they set him on his dark path he knew this day would come. It was inevitable. He hadn't thought it would be so soon though...

Before he had a chance to speak the others began to talk. Dwilla being very blunt, adressing the High Star with her first name! It seemed they knew each other more intimately, then he would have expected. Or was that just bad etiquette?
Whisper responding to the news as one who is accustomed to the harshness of the world. She seems to be more comfortable now then she was before.
Sarlus he seemed to have misjudged. Why would an accomplished warrior like himself be so nervous? Tapping his foot, clenching and unclenching his fists and a fire in his eyes that wasn't a there just moments before. He had seen this before, in other less trained men, men who wanted to prove themselves at all costs, often ending up endangering their squad. Then again passion was also a road to greatness, if channeled well...

As he looked back up he briefly met the High Stars eyes. Seeing the same determination in them as he felt inside. And then he spoke, his voice strong..

"How can man die better, than facing fearful odds?
For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods."

As he quoted these lines he looked at the High Star again, seeing if she recognised them. Then he added:

I accept this grave task. My sword is yours.

technoRomancer
2017-05-01, 11:29 AM
While stories of the High Star's beauty and grace could be heard across all the Planes, Orden paid little attention to such things, and in any case his own standards for attractiveness tended more towards the Dwarven norm - short, stout, and preferably with more body hair than Kirinen possessed. Yet he had an appreciative eye for the craftsmanship and fine materials composing her attire and accessories, and they way they accentuated her form. For the great love and skill that had gone into its creation was apparent, and such work was a song of praise in Andustin's name, no matter the craft employed. The work of a tailor was no less meaningful, no less important than his own. On the table, his fingers idly tapped out his estimated measurements of the fabric in base-eight, but his attention was on the words of the others as they gave their answers to the High Star.

Orden's smile broadened as each one by one committed themselves. Aéquitas's quote echoing in his mind, he raised an arm to call attention to himself as the right words came to him. "High Star, I imagine you must know I've never been one to shy from danger. 'There is no such thing as failure, only a failure to learn from the experience,' my grandmother always says, and I have always believed it. Whatever the problem is, you can be certain I'll tackle it with every skill and resource at my disposal, as many times as it takes, until it is resolved! You have the word of Orden Spirecracker." The doughty dwarf slapped the table decisively, then beamed around it at the other six adventurers, gesturing widely to encompass them all. "'There is no reward without risk, and few gains come without a sacrifice.' I've no doubt everyone here understands that. I for one am quite eager to hear what you hope to task us with! Indeed, if any of us were daunted by the kind of challenge the High Star might summon a disparate group such as ourselves to overcome, we would not have answered the call," he finished firmly, then looked expectantly to those who had yet to speak, reigning in his excited curiosity long enough for them to chime in. There was a faint clink-clink-clinking noise in the brief silence that followed, his clasped fingers tapping against his armored knuckles as he rested his elbows on the table and leaned forward.

Minescratcher
2017-05-01, 06:10 PM
Reed nodded grimly. A light shone in his eyes that the others had not seen before.

"If I had wanted to turn back, I never would have come here. If I had needed a miracle, I'd be dead. And if I can help the people of Teybel, then that's enough to justify any risk."

The Halfling had half-risen from his chair while answering, but now sank back down with a sigh.

"You have my lance."

Daevah
2017-05-02, 04:28 AM
It is the way that Aéquitas' words resonate in the room and with most of her new comrades that makes Whisper feel like an outsider again for a moment. What was it about? What did the gods have to do with this? She is wise enough to keep quiet about her own opinion of the gods and observe first. It wouldn't do good to start strife by insulting someone's belief with her own less than stellar outlook on religion.

Orden though... he carries his heart on his sleeve and his thoughts on his tongue. It amuses her and endeares the energetic dwarf to her. Whisper sends a small smile his way and nods in respect at what he said. At some point, even though there was a chance to set him rambling, she would have to ask him about his family, as his grandmother sounded like a sensible woman and she muses that she would enjoy hearing more stories about her.

As her gaze travels over the group, Whisper's conviction reestablishes itself. Each and everyone of them brought their own special ability along with them. They would make a fine fighting force and she respects them for stepping up to face this task, no matter the reason. Silvarel is the last one to speak and Whisper patiently waits for what her decision would entail.

Sicarius Victis
2017-05-02, 05:30 AM
"Kirinen, was it? I appreciate the warning, Kirinen, but it's really not necessary. If I was all that concerned with my own safety, I wouldn't have done half the things I did. If I was concerned with what had been done before, I wouldn't have done any of it. Hell, that's where half the fun is.

So I'll do it. Because if we don't do it, who does? Who else would be willing and able to try this? Nobody I know, that's for sure. Few would risk their lives for this, and fewer would succeed. So really, a task like this is best - and almost only - suited for those such as us.

I'm in."

JNAProductions
2017-05-02, 10:04 AM
Dwilla smiles at her companions, before looking back to Kirinen. I guess we're all in. After all, who can say no to a pretty face like yours?

After a moment, though, she turns more serious, asking So what is it we need to do? What's threatening our homes?

Monolilith
2017-05-02, 03:34 PM
Let it never be said that the High Star lacks dignity. She stays sitting straight, movements calm and slow, looking from one legend to the next with the wisdom of a god and the patience of a mother. And when Dwilla speaks again, she watches her for a moment... and then smiles. A delicate smile, perhaps, but for just a moment her freckles glow and her lip tenses, brows curving subtly up. There is a gratitude too powerful to describe, and it is hers, unto you, today.

"Thank you. I could never say it enough... Thank you.

"Now, we must discuss what is at hand - the sooner you seven leave, the better..."

She stands, and spreads her arms out as her freckles glow again, causing a turquoise light - dim enough to do no harm but bright enough for blue and orange hues to be distinct within - to spread behind her, into a sort of screen. She steps to its side, giving a brisk gesture, and then the colors take the shape of a map. Teybel Mayora. "I'm sure all of you know this map well - it's hardly distance-accurate, but this map has been used to teach what I am about to review to you all to schoolchildren since I myself was a lass. It's quite nostalgic."

https://s7.postimg.org/7ydrbmmln/IMG_20170502_123028.jpg

"As I'm sure you all know, Teybel Mayora is orbited by our three Minor Planes, which are linked by the Elemental Chain, and then all this is held in place by the Three Beacons. Each beacon is an equal measure from two of the Planes, and draws upon that plane's strength to generate a barrier - the Precipice - that keeps the horrors of the dying cosmos at bay."

As she speaks, she continues to gesture, and the three Beacons light up in white, their names appearing below them. Crested. Ravaged. Draconid.

"I'm sure you all also know that the Beacons work by not creating an unbreakable ward, but presenting a challenge that only heroes of immense skill and virtue can surmount. This allows the 'fixed and flexible' principles of all magic to be applied constructively - rather than 'if hit with a strong enough force, the Precipice will break', 'if the challenges within each Beacon are surmounted, the Precipice can be modified'. Nine years ago, when the Contagion reached Highcliff once more, this was because one of the Beacons was surpassed by an unknown entity who created a weakness in the Precipice. Subsequently, I, the absent or deceased leaders of each other Plane, and the Pantheon collaborated to improve - and perhaps perfect - the trials of the Beacons, such that they were primarily impossible to complete alone and secondly, almost impossible even with allies.

"All things considered, we should have seen this coming. Every one of us failed Teybel in an unfathomable way by overlooking this, and now, it falls to you seven to fix our mistake. You see... the interloper left putrid seeds in the Crested Beacon."

She takes a beat, just letting that sink in, then waves a hand, causing the map to 'zoom in' on the Crested Beacon.

"Delabi came to me with concerns that anomalies at the Beacon's upper levels were reducing its overall strength. Some investigation was done, and we confirmed that there are now Contagion-touched creatures roaming within what we refer to as the 'Divine Workshop' - perhaps the most dangerous place for corrupting, animating forces to take root. The only way to eliminate all of them is to call a purge upon the Beacon - to access the mainframe, and purify the entire Precipice. But... this means you must complete the trials of the Beacon.

"I will tell you all I can about the composition of the Beacon and what you will find within, but the Beacons are infinitely regenerated by nature. There is no fixed map I can give you, nor will any map you create make any measure of sense. Just the same, the adversaries within are part of a complex, evolving ecosystem, and neither I nor any other remaining creator of the Beacons can approximate their strength. All that can be done is enter and fight.

"If you are ready, I have the basic framework of the Crested Beacon on hand, but... do you have preliminary questions?"

Daevah
2017-05-02, 04:36 PM
Whisper blinks at the screen that suddenly shows up before her. A map! Is this magic? How curious to see this! Yet, the moment Kirinen makes the map of Teybel Mayora fully appear, seeing the Underdark represented as a small, yet vital part of it... her throat closes up. It almost has her drown in homesickness for her own world. She has never been apart from it for so long and it is only hitting her now that it will be for a long while yet until she can see it again. That she would miss it so much with every fiber of her being... it is unexpected. Whisper forces herself to endure and listen.

When the topic of the Contagion comes up, Whisper closes her eyes and clenches her fingers. It hits too close to home. She had dealt with her mother's death in the only way that she could, with no other choice but to endure it and try to go on, but the pain and anger at whatever beasts and creatures the Contagion had spewed out wasn't receding. There is no will in her for needless revenge. No. But she has to keep it from happening again to anyone else, has to stop this terrible something from spreading further into her home.

Opening her eyes back up, Whisper adresses the room, a picture of calm except for her white knuckles. "We of the Underdark had more of a brush with the Contagion than most places over the years, though I fully understand that the other realms were not spared either. My questions can wait until the end."

Minescratcher
2017-05-02, 04:47 PM
Reed sat watching the High Star as she explained the Planes and the map. He remembered the stories he had heard of the Contagion: horrifying tales, the sort he would say were meant for children, if it hadn't been real.

It was all too real.

He wrapped his right hand around his left and squeezed them together. They stayed that way until the High Star asked for questions, when the Halfling leaned forward in his chair.

"Do we know anything about the creatures in that Beacon, other than that they are Contagion-touched? An idea of what we're up against would be good, if it's possible to have one."

Monolilith
2017-05-02, 05:45 PM
"Do we know anything about the creatures in that Beacon, other than that they are Contagion-touched? An idea of what we're up against would be good, if it's possible to have one."

"Some measure. It's easiest to explain along with the rest of the Beacon's layout, simply because the creatures there are so heavily tied to the sections within. But even then, it's impossible to say for sure, other than noting that the primary creators of this Beacon were Delabi, Andustin, and myself."

Minescratcher
2017-05-02, 06:25 PM
"Some measure. It's easiest to explain along with the rest of the Beacon's layout, simply because the creatures there are so heavily tied to the sections within. But even then, it's impossible to say for sure, other than noting that the primary creators of this Beacon were Delabi, Andustin, and myself."

"Understood. We'll just have to wing it." Reed smiled faintly as he spoke.

Aéquitas
2017-05-03, 09:45 AM

A trial by the Gods... Aéquitas mused. How fitting for a world that has lost his fate.

High star, these trials are not designed to be overcome with just brute strength I would think. I'm guessing a person attempting it would have need for great intellect just as much. What can you tell us about this part of the trials, maybe some extra insight in this aspect would give us an advantage. Especially when time is not on our side...

Monolilith
2017-05-03, 10:07 AM
High star, these trials are not designed to be overcome with just brute strength I would think. I'm guessing a person attempting it would have need for great intellect just as much. What can you tell us about this part of the trials, maybe some extra insight in this aspect would give us an advantage. Especially when time is not on our side...

"You are correct - but more still than mere strength and intellect. We designed this Beacon to test every facet of a challenger - from might to patience to cooperation. You will all have to quickly learn one anothers' talents and virtues, and to never take any of them for granted. After all, one person's vice is another's talent."

JNAProductions
2017-05-03, 10:47 AM
Dwilla looks a bit pale, at the mention of the Contagion. I... We have to solve this. I don't want the Contagion unleashed again. Too many people died. Too many.

Monolilith
2017-05-03, 11:11 AM
Dwilla looks a bit pale, at the mention of the Contagion. I... We have to solve this. I don't want the Contagion unleashed again. Too many people died. Too many.

Her face tightens with barely-contained grief, ice-blue eyes settling sadly on Dwilla. "Agreed, firmly. The entirety of the Minor Planes still feel the taint of the Contagion. I'm sure I don't need to remind any of you of it. Should even one Beacon fall, the entire Precipice will collapse, leaving Teybel defenseless. Should that happen, nothing remaining after a time is... the best case scenario.

"This is why time is of the essence."

Ursus the Grim
2017-05-05, 11:15 AM
That was it, then. They were being sent through trials that not even the creators had knowledge of. Sarlus listened quietly as the others posed questions or restated their commitment. He knew his own resolve, but he could not avoid acknowledging the risks. They would be traveling beyond the realm of mortals, of rules and safety. Their bodies would be unrecoverable, their souls likely forfeit, were they to fail and fall. He ran his thumb along the outside edge of his mask, knuckles brushing through his hair.

"The beacons regenerate, yes? If our deaths mean failure, I don't intend to hold back. Is there anything special that you know we must take care around? Anything that might be fragile enough to end up as collateral damage?"

technoRomancer
2017-05-06, 06:16 AM
As the High Star summoned her map, Orden studied the magical screen with keen interest, but somehow managed to wrench his attention towards the relevant parts of the conversation before he got left behind. There would be time for such trivial things once their task was complete. And what a momentous task it was! Kirinen had definitely not been exaggerating. And his rebellious attention span was riveted with laser focus the moment the Divine Workshop was mentioned. He mouthed the words under his breath, eyes starry with awe. Every dwarf who had spent their formative years in a temple of Andustin had shared whispers and rumors of the name. Orden was pulled out of his reverie at Salrus' question, giving a quietly nervous chuckle.

"I doubt I would have been chosen for this mission if collateral damage were a real concern," he admitted only a little abashedly. The dwarf then locked eyes with Kirinen. "High Star, I would gladly give my life in a second for the chance to see up close and in person one of the greatest and most profound contrivances Andustin ever took hand in creating. That I have the opportunity to do so now in the course of saving all of Teybel has only cemented my commitment to this mission. It may be a shame to have to undo such divine work but, after all, deconstructing a device is the only way to truly understand it!" He made to stand in haste but paused halfway out of his chair, realizing it might be disrespectful mid-discussion. Wouldn't have been the first lecture he'd accidentally walked out on too early. "Er, I'm ready to depart post-haste once this briefing is complete. Will we be travelling by vehicle? Can we finish this en-route? Or is there some magic contrivance to send us straight there once we're prepared?"

What does Orden know about this Divine Workshop? Should I make a check or is it common enough knowledge for him?

Monolilith
2017-05-06, 02:17 PM
"The beacons regenerate, yes? If our deaths mean failure, I don't intend to hold back. Is there anything special that you know we must take care around? Anything that might be fragile enough to end up as collateral damage?"

"I doubt I would have been chosen for this mission if collateral damage were a real concern," he admitted only a little abashedly. The dwarf then locked eyes with Kirinen. "High Star, I would gladly give my life in a second for the chance to see up close and in person one of the greatest and most profound contrivances Andustin ever took hand in creating. That I have the opportunity to do so now in the course of saving all of Teybel has only cemented my commitment to this mission. It may be a shame to have to undo such divine work but, after all, deconstructing a device is the only way to truly understand it! ... Er, I'm ready to depart post-haste once this briefing is complete. Will we be travelling by vehicle? Can we finish this en-route? Or is there some magic contrivance to send us straight there once we're prepared?"

Kirinen blinks, sharply, then gives a small, sheepish smile. "You are correct. There is nothing I can foresee any of you doing that would do the Beacons damage. Do try to use your better judgment as far as slaying adversaries goes, though - I don't need to tell any of you that there are more ways around a problem than through it.

"I understand your excitement, Orden, but please be patient for a moment longer. The ship that will carry you out there will need a full day to make the journey, and before that, you still must ensure you are fully equipped for the journey ahead. I'm getting to that. Besides, the Divine Workshop is largely the second half of the beacon, as well as it can be divided into halves without definite length, at least.

"Silvarel? Do you have any questions before I provide the full briefing? Someone will want to write this down, by the way."

Oh, I should have gone over this - well guesstimated! No check needed, it's true that every serious worshipper of Andustin has heard of the Divine Workshop. It's literally the sweetest workshop ever - massive, full of android scientists and clockwork technicians, rife with portals leading to other parts of it. It's mazelike, impossible to navigate, and - if you're tech savvy - so interesting it could kill you. People spend their lives dreaming about what lies inside, what secrets Andustin has deemed too dangerous to share with his followers. I have no doubt that Orden feels a constant, gentle calling towards it, as if delving into it is his destiny.

Sicarius Victis
2017-05-07, 12:33 AM
"Questions? Not really, no. I've heard all I need to, and I doubt that I'm the most qualified here to ask any questions for the group as a whole."

Daevah
2017-05-07, 10:46 AM
"So, we do not know what we're going to be facing, as the tower layout's details shift and the creatures you settled in there will be twisted by the Contagion. We'll be going almost blind. Then I would like to know, if possible, more about what lies beyond the barrier and the seed they placed to corrupt the Beacon. You said you would explain possible facts we know about the creatures with the layout, so I will just wait for that information." She tilts her head a little.

"I understand that our failing will have dire consequences and that it's clear we shouldn't wait for ages, but... is there a set time limit? Are we speaking in days or weeks here until our quest is in danger of running out of time?"

Then she looks to the left and right, seeing that no one makes an effort to pick up writing material. A sigh. Good thing that her father had been a scholar, though her handwriting was remarkably terrible. "May I have some coal and parchment, High Star? I think we are all eager to hear about the tower's details as well now."

Ursus the Grim
2017-05-15, 09:00 AM
"Once Whisper takes her notes, I would put forward a motion to get going. The sooner this problem is addressed, the better, and if we don't know what to expect, preparations are a waste of time."

Sarlus then paused, suddenly. Speaking up, being the aggressive, proactive one, especially when in the High Star's presence. Yet the chance to be useful, to prove himself, to redeem himself, kept drawing him further and further out of his usual habits. As part of his mystic development, he had come to know himself well enough to know that this was not like him. He shifted his self-reflection to planning, taking mental inventory of his abilities, remembering how to express his powers, considering unusual applications that might arise in their use.

Whenever things slow down or bog down a bit in a PbP, I always recommend a time skip or scene change. PbPs tend to lose momentum when the players are in the same scene for too long, I think.

Monolilith
2017-05-15, 05:46 PM
"So, we do not know what we're going to be facing, as the tower layout's details shift and the creatures you settled in there will be twisted by the Contagion. We'll be going almost blind. Then I would like to know, if possible, more about what lies beyond the barrier and the seed they placed to corrupt the Beacon. You said you would explain possible facts we know about the creatures with the layout, so I will just wait for that information. I understand that our failing will have dire consequences and that it's clear we shouldn't wait for ages, but... is there a set time limit? Are we speaking in days or weeks here until our quest is in danger of running out of time?

"May I have some coal and parchment, High Star? I think we are all eager to hear about the tower's details as well now."

"Once Whisper takes her notes, I would put forward a motion to get going. The sooner this problem is addressed, the better, and if we don't know what to expect, preparations are a waste of time."

They do that in real life, too! The issue wasn't that I was losing steam - it was a personal life thing. I'm back on track now, and I'm skipping at the end of this post. Trust in meeee~!

"Make no mistake, Whisper. Delabi's infinite variation equation does allow certain consistencies. But I'm afraid you have asked some of the only questions I cannot answer. Sarlus - patience. Please, be as patient as you always are with me. I have a lot to go over, which may sound redundant, but it's certainly far from all there is to know."

She draws a stack of paper from a drawer on her desk alongside a graphite stick, setting both before Whisper, and then turns, waving a hand again. The map zooms in on the beacon, whose walls pale, revealing a truly absurd amount of floors divided into three differently-colored sections. "Listen closely. Whisper, write quickly.

"The Beacon is essentially a massive generator - two thousand feet, to be exact. The core, something of an engine, exists in the stone base of the tower, which sends astral vibrations upwards. They resonate with the magical energies of the rest of the tower, amplifying until, within the Divine Workshop, the astral energy is converted into arcane and imbued with the laws of the Beacon, which I have written - a very bad idea, mind you, so I must ask that you memorize these laws and burn the paper they are written on. But after the Divine Workshop is passed, the arcane energies condense rapidly in the final floors and are projected out through the absurdly large smoky quartz geode at the peak of the Beacon. If this Projection Geode is infected or breached, the entire Precipice falls. Your job is to eliminate the Contagion by reaching it and expending your Alteration by cleansing the Beacon, which should fortify the Precipice. It should be as easy as shouting that command when the Projection Geode lights.

"You will be given supplies I and my advisors selected personally and carried on a scout ship over three days to the Beacon. Use that time to prepare yourselves mentally for a journey that I anticipate will take a month or more. We cannot predict how quickly the Contagion will spread through the beacon, so time is of the essence, but I have reason to believe that once its effects become visible, you will be able to collaborate to develop a forecast, if you choose. But that's hardly your top priority.

The group will be led from her quarters to a royal shipyard, where she would hand each person their pack personally - all dark grey with ice blue accents and elegant golden patches, carefully packed and marked each with a unique colored emblem. She will then give each a firm and respectful but rather tender hug, leaving them to be ushered into the scout cruiser with her warmth lingering on their shoulders and backs.

"A simple puzzle, comparatively, unlocks the Beacon and solves the equation, generating the layout for your attempt. Once the puzzle is solved, you will be trapped in the beacon until you either reach the Projection Geode or die trying. If one among your number passes, you must leave them behind, taking a talisman at most. The first section is sort of like a typical dungeon - stony crags where monsters thrive for a few floors, leading up to a carved crypt bearing treasures, temptations, and traps all in high count. Be. Careful.

The cruiser will take off the moment all seven are situated and prepared to leave Highcliff's luminous atmosphere. It is small, just big enough to accommodate modest quarters for the seven and the crew, as well as privies and a humble dining area. There are books on the ship, covering a significant range of subjects tied to the Beacon, as well as training dummies, and the three-person crew will all admit to being formidable fighters themselves, if the heroes should to duel. But the rooms are also soundproofed and lightproofed magically, allowing plenty of meditation or sleep.

"If you clear the dungeons, which may or may not have more and more challenging opponents as you ascend - all creatures you encounter there will be hostile, do not hesitate to slay them - you will reach Rhodin's Tomb. This area will face you with a series of chambers, each with a rule which you must not break, or else be faced with significant consequences. I daresay it is the most difficult area, simply because you won't... always be told what the rule is. In Rhodin's Tomb more than any other area, you will HAVE to work together and maintain decency and respect towards your fellows. I chose you all myself, and never for no reason.

"Lastly, the Divine Workshop above Rhodin's Tomb is rife with more magic than I assure you any of you have ever seen. This magic is fragile - you MUST be cautious. Very few entities there will seek to harm or aid you, theoretically, but it's impossible to say what chaos the Contagion will rage. Be careful, be delicate, and above all, trust your instincts.

It will be a long three days. Enough time to get a decent bearing on one another, to contemplate, to train and prepare and decide how to make the most of your new possessions. The crew will provide writing utensils, quietly suggesting that a will and testament - or at least letters to family - ought to be written, and promising to deliver them.

"When you reach the 99th floor, you will be faced with the Beacon's embodiment. If I recall correctly, it is a spectral naga well-versed in the art of balancing celestial and necrotic energies, but she was but a babe when we left her to watch over the Beacon. It's impossible to say what she has grown into. Do send her my regards before she does her damndest to cremate you all thoroughly, though.

"Lastly... Heroes, good luck. The survival of all Teybel is riding on your shoulders. I know you are, together, strong enough to carry that weight."

She watches them leave, standing still in the landing bay, until the cruiser is out of sight.

Minescratcher
2017-05-18, 03:52 PM
"Thank you, High Star. Your trust is not misplaced."

Reed spends the first day after the transport departs closeted in a locked cabin, emerging only for meals. The second day he spends exercising Bill, flying small loops around the cruiser until the relatively massive creature nearly falls from the sky.

The third day he spends in anticipation.

Ursus the Grim
2017-05-20, 09:58 AM
Does Sarlus know what she meant by 'expend your Alteration'? Because Ursus doesn't.

As he watches the graceful figure that is Kirinen shrink and eventually disappear from his vision, Sarlus turns to his comrades.

"I will be spending much of our next few days in my quarters, but please, feel free to visit if you'd like to talk." He says it earnestly, and warmly. There's a part of him that craves the social exchange of conversation, but not enough that he'd be willing to approach and bother anybody for it. Naturally, he doesn't explain those feelings as he heads down to his cabin, a loose feather drifting into the wind behind him.

Finding writing tools in his chambers, he immediately scrawls out a simple, concise will. The High Star is his only surviving friend, and there is nothing to say to her that she doesn't already know. Anything that survives him will go to the other members of the party (if any survive). Failing that, it goes to the High Star to do with as she wishes.

For the ensuing voyage, Sarlus follows a strict schedule. In the morning, he meditates, a process that forces him to face his own failings and endure the pain he may inflict upon himself. As part of this meditation, he also converts some of his internal, mystical energy into external arcane magic in case of unexpected complications. He spends much of the rest of the day reading, trying to glean more information on the relationship between divine, arcane, and mystical. He spends two hours walking the ship, stretching his legs and making himself available for conversation or requests. Before retiring for the night, he sequesters himself in his room for half an hour, locking the door. During this time, he reaches out, imposing his will on the air in his immediate vicinity and sets it aflame.

Slightly singed and somewhat tired, he finds it easy to sleep in this strange place.

At the beginning of each 'day'/after each long rest, Sarlus creates a spell slot of 2nd and 3rd level, expending 8 psi points to do so. He also uses his Strength of Mind to 'move' his proficiency in Wisdom saving throws to Constitution saving throws. Finally, he Focuses on Mastery of Fire for the day.

Before going to sleep, he takes five minutes to subject himself to a manifestation of Rolling Flame, maintaining concentration as long as he can. This consumes 25 hp and 3 psi.

JNAProductions
2017-05-20, 10:55 AM
Dwilla spends most of her time on the deck, enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. She does her best to find the others to talk with them, to get to know them better, as well as being open and amiable with the crew of the cruiser.

Monolilith
2017-05-20, 02:39 PM
The crew is kind. Adlah is an elven wizard who keeps the ship quick and well-structured, serene and with an endearing sense of humor. Jorgen is a stout halfling, the pilot of the ship, and despite their crudeness and mild insensitivity, they seem to be the heart of it as well. Kent is indiscernible and oddly quiet, but the scars that line his generally-covered face and body belie a certain fundamental understanding of pain, but of kindness, as well. He's never without his sword, though he's too humble to offer a duel with any of the formidable heroes.

If one were to talk with them, ask about the ship, or perhaps look around for details, they may be able to find out more.

Kent gratefully accepts Sarlus's offer of conversation, proving to have many a story to tell as well as eagerly listening ears. He visits on all three days, and professes that he'll miss Sarlus's company. Adlah likely spends many an hour asking Dwilla as many questions as she'll answer - and everyone else, for that matter - but she seems to know more than she lets on. Jorgen keeps to himself, aside from off-handed comments at the others when they're conversing near them, but he does mean well, and watches Reed and Bill fly rather awestruck.

Munch, crunch. Understood, Ursus! Also, I'm not crying, you're crying.

By 'expend your Alteration', Kirinen means that when you reach the peak of the Beacon, you'll be able to edit the enchantments therein one time. This is how the interloper made a hole in the Precipice - he called it to weaken. It's sort of like, you collectively get one Action that you can use to tweak the Beacon and associated Precipice however you want, but you're SUPPOSED to tell it to cleanse itself.

Daevah
2017-05-20, 04:36 PM
When faced with her testament, Whisper stares at the blank paper for a long time. Finally, she places it back down to the table, untouched by ink. There is no one waiting. She is sure that her mentor, somehow, will know if she perishes and send a prayer in the darkness for her. A part of her wonders if she should feel sadness, but... she believes strongly in having lived a full life. She is strong in her belief of having done the right thing. What she does with the ink though is write out the hasty scribbles she had taken in Kirinen's presence and make them readable for others, placing it with the rest of her stuff.

During the first day, Whisper walks about on silent feet and observes. She watches her team, the crew, the stars. Especially the stars, she has never been so high in the sky and after centuries in the dark and a few harsh moments in Highcliffs everlasting light, this is a vision of wonder for her and before she knows it, hours have gone by of her staring and watching the dark silence punctured by glittering light. It is during the second day that she has a few, short talks with the crew, nothing to deep, offering friendly words and taking what information they are willing to give without prodding. She takes a liking to Kent and exchanges deeper thoughts with him, even going so far as to spend some of her hours meditating and watching him train.

On the third day, she accepts her teammates' offers of conversation. She takes care in visiting each of them separately, asking them about what has brought them here, to this place. "It seems we are legends," Whisper starts with a smile, "so what has brought you here to this place? What is your story? If you are willing to tell me."

Then, hours before the arrival, she takes care to gather everyone of the team together in a group meeting. "I feel we should share our strengths and weaknesses with each other. In the place we are going to, we cannot afford to neglect this, as we will be tested harshly, it seems." Folding her hands behind her back, she looks at each of them carefully. "Personally, I know the least about any of you, it seems. My skills lie in having my body be my weapon. I'm tough and quick, but not indestructible. I am known for being quiet and unseen, slipping from shadow to shadow, as silent as a..." she smirks her crocked smile, "...well, whisper. I have skills that some say are like magic, like creating darkness and silence around my enemies. I think I work best with someone... distracting the enemy, I believe, and helping me set up shadows to slip about." After taking a moment to think, she shrugs, slightly sheepish. "That's about it, I fear."

Anyone willing to have one of the IT conversation that Whisper seeks out in the OOC thread or anywhere else, be my guest! That way we don't clutter and confuse the thread and can still move the story along. Any takers?

Sicarius Victis
2017-05-20, 06:53 PM
"Well, I'm sure I could arrange for a distraction or two,
should the situation call for it. As you may have guessed from my arrival to our first meeting, and the story I told soon after, I do occasionally tend to cause a show. If you need a distraction, I'm sure I could find some mysteriously-immolated jack@ss noble nearby.

My own talents are far less subtle than yours, I must admit. I have some moderate skill with magic, particularly fire magic, and moderate skill with a blade. What makes my talents unique, are my ability to put them together in my spelldances. I'd be willing to demonstrate sometime, if anyone is curious.

Honestly, while I do have more than a few entertaining stories, my general story isn't all that interesting. I wander around, mostly but not always in the Faewild, and fight people. That's really about it. If you want a fun story, I'll have to be a lot more specific."

Aéquitas
2017-05-21, 07:54 AM

Three days... he was happy it wasn't longer then that, but even three days would be a real challenge to go through. It had been a while that he had hunted and the small offerings he had given the demon over the past days were hardly enough to satisfy the creature. Scaring the children on the streets had helped and was enough to keep the creature at bay during the meeting, but now he could already feel it growing restless.

The best thing to do would probably be to lock himself in his cabin in meditation and prayer, preserving as much energy as possible to keep the creature at bay.

If it would take control, even only for a few minutes the results could be disastreous with such a small crew manning the ship.

I hope you will excuse me. As much as I would like to get to know everyone of you, I would like to spend the rest of the flight in my quarters. It is a..... spiritual thing, a way for me to prepare myself for the dangers to come. Adlah could I maybe bring some food and drink to my cabin?

During these three days Aéquitas struggles with his demons. The creature sending him horrible visions of the things he has done and might do in the future, feeding on his fear instead of that of Aéquitas' enemies. It makes the journey very hard, unable to rest during his sleep. As the days pass, his prayers to Zariah get more desperate.
On the third day he slips and loses control for a moment. Skin turning dark and skeletal wings bursting from his back. For a moment people near his cabin would feel an enormous sence of fear creeping up on them, but as he regains control, that feeling disappeared as sudden as it came.

Exhausted he fell on his knees. And started praying again.

Moments later he heard a knock on the door. It was Whisper coming to gather them all.
He was glad she took the lead, he wasn't sure he would be able to be much of an inspiration to them for the next few days.

Give me a moment please Whisper, I will join you in a few minutes.

Feel free to roll with this or add to whatever has happened during these days around my cabin. Glad this story is still going strong.

Basicly Aéquitas needs to regularly feed his "demon" with fear (like every day or every few days if he makes the offering large enough). This doesn't mean he needs to go on a killing rampage, seeing as you could fear something without killing it most of the time, unless you give it a heartattack or something. The longer the victim gets feared the more effective it is. See it more like a symphony then a loud bang. So it isn't like in Monsters Inc. where a big scare will fill the tank so to say.
Thats why fearing his group or the crew would be a bad solution.

The group would probably not be feared as quickly, and the crew would not be able to do their work properly if they are scared beyond believe or even pass out from fear.

When the "demon" isn't nourished it will attack the host instead, weakening Aéquitas and occasionaly taking over to make him do unpleasant things. This has only happened two or three times so far, but the nightmares he has about them plague him still almost every night.

Ursus the Grim
2017-05-22, 09:19 PM
So, Whisper was a warrior, a skirmisher of sorts. It did not surprise Sarlus, given what he knew of dark elf tactics and martial philosophy. He could see the High Star's wisdom in this selection of champions more and more as he learned more about them. A master of close-combat and subtlety was nearly diametrically opposed to his own abilities. As Silvarel explains her affinity for fire, he nods his head with respect. There was some overlap with their abilities and interests, but it sounded like Silvarel and Sarlus expressed them in very different ways.

He then straightens up, fingers fidgeting with the hem of his robe as he does so.

"The scholars have several names for those with abilities similar to mine. . . . 'Manifester'. 'Mystic'. 'Psion'. It is the weapon of illithid and yuan-ti and the gith. I study myself as the arcanist studies his books. I bend reality without the aid of the gods, or of magical rituals. By knowing myself, I have learned much of the nature of other things. . . ."

At this, he trails off for a moment. He was being vague, not clearly explaining what he could do. . . and he was nearly boasting at the nature of his power. But what else could he discuss? His story? His past? Not a chance.

"My mind can see the true nature of things. It can rebuff the intrusions and machinations of others with similar powers. It can hinder the ability of others to perceive me. My will can also help a failing body grasp life. . . those are the more subtle abilities I can bring to bear."

His expression now is the brightest anyone has seen it over the voyage. There is a chance here, a chance to explain his usefulness, to share the power he has spent years honing and perfecting. His mystic power is one of his two greatest loves.

"I don't enjoy subtlety, though. I can summon, manipulate, even become air, earth, wood and flame. I can warp the aether. I have even learned a few arcane tricks to supplement my use of fire, and to vex enemy spellcasters."

He finally forces himself to rein himself back in. He steps back, and begins to lean against a nearby chair.

"Of course, there is a 'catch' or two. I cannot do all these things at once, and if I exert myself too much, my mind will exact payment from my body to fuel these abilities. I have also neglected my martial training - if something should interfere with my ability to impose my will in these ways, the best I can offer is my crossbow. . . and I think you'll find it less effective than a conflagration."

Minescratcher
2017-05-26, 05:27 PM
Reed chuckled to himself while the others spoke. Once there was a chance, he spoke up.

"I'm afraid I'm not that stealthy either. My preferred method of combat is to point my lances at the enemy, charge him, and punch a few holes through his armor. While he picks himself off the ground, I fly away on Bill, turn around, and do it again." He grinned at the understatement.

"Of course, I'm not entirely useless without those lances - I've got this sword and my Lasso, and Bill has his own claws and beak to help a bit. I know a very, very slight magic, mostly the sort of thing that helps a farmer survive, and one simple bit to find and hit an enemy's weak points."

Reed's hands were moving about rapidly as he spoke, but towards the end they slowed to a stop.

"...I don't expect to be able to follow that routine all the time, I guess... might be kinda hard to fly around in a grave or a smithy. Ought to be able to hold my own in any case, though." The Halfling smiled again.

Daevah
2017-05-28, 06:28 AM
Whisper speaks with Dwilla first out of all of them, more by coincidence than plan because she sees her standing on the bridge. Walking closer to the bright halfling, she smiles and comfortably leans against the nearest surface. "Dwilla, good to see you. Would you mind a small chat? When I heard your name I got reminded of something and was wondering if you might want to share your story... your deeds certainly reached even the far corners of the Underdark." She holds up a hand. "As long as you don't mind, of course."

Whisper had wanted to see the other halfling fly on his creature... Bill?... for quite a while and she does so on the third day. When he lands, she greets him with a cheery wave. "Those are some impressive flying skills, Reed. That's not something you get to see any day, or at all, where I come from. What led you to this, if I may ask?" Her hand movement in Bill's direction could mean anything from 'flying on a creature' to 'this life' and she leaves it to him to share what he wishes.

Whisper decides to seek out the... firedancer?... in her room and is unsurprised by the smell of scorched things greeting her nose after she knocks and opens the door. "Good day, Silvarel. Everything still fully functional in here?" She smiles cheekily and closes the door after her. "If you don't mind, I'd like to talk for a few minutes... it seems you have a few good stories to tell. I'd like to get to know you better, see what made you become who you are now. I don't think I've ever seen someone of your profession and I must admit I'm very curious. Why fire?"

Whisper does not open the door. She knocks, then waits, very carefully. Out of all the people here, she's absolutely sure that the odds of blowing up before reaching their destination are the highest inside this room. Not that it makes her think less of the talkative dwarf, but she really values her skin, especially after having felt the burn of fire once in her life. "Orden? Do you have a few minutes? I'd like to chat a little and... well, can I come in? Is it... safe?"

Sarlus had allowed explicitly for people to come by and chat with him, so she drops by his room during the alloted time. After knocking and opening the door, she wrinkles her nose at the smell. What is it with people and fire on this ship? "Good day, Sarlus. Uh... are you all right? You look a bit... frazzled. Should I come back later for a chat?"

The second Aasimar is the last one she visits, not out of any real reason that the fact that his door is the last one in the hallway. He wanted his solitude, something she can fully understand and relate to, but asking if he has a few minutes wouldn't hurt anyone. On her way there, not even a few feet away, Whisper is hit by something like a punch to the gut. Cold sweat, hairs at the back of her neck rising, heartrate spiking... then it's gone before her monk training can kick in first and calm her mind. Before her body can decide if it fully wants to react or not. Strange. Uncomfortable. She suddenly has the feeling that a longer talk with Aéquitas might not be the best idea, but walks towards his door anyway for different reasons. "Aéquitas," she carefully asks after knocking, "I'm sorry to disturb you. I plan a meet up later so we can all share knowledge of our abilities... if you are able to join, it would be welcomed." After hearing his answer, she nods, furrows her brow and walks away. Whisper has a feeling he is someone she needs to have an eye on... both for his sake and that of the group.

_________

Whisper nods at everyone's descriptions, standing up straight and giving them her full attention to the point that it might be unnerving. Silvarel is a creature of fire and distraction, something Whisper can fully use to her advantage. Reed seems to be a more straight, direct fighter as well, more skirmisher though than not, allowing her to support him in her role as one as well. Sarlus surprises her by fully bursting out of his more shy, withdrawn demeanor and it takes her a second to fully catch up with what he is saying. Mystics, huh? Quite versatile. She is sure there are ways their abilities can synergize. After that Whisper looks at the rest of their mixed crew for more information.

Aéquitas
2017-05-28, 05:25 PM

He heard Whisper retreating from his door back through the hallway. As he heard the sound of her footsteps slowly fading, Aequitas gathered his strength and stood up. He started putting on his armour, taking his time making sure everything was fastened just right. Not to loose not to tight. Enough freedom of movement in the joints, but no weak points for the enemy to abuse.
He must have done this a million times, but going through the familiar motions seemed to have a calming effect on him. His mind finally getting a small moment of rest.

When he was done he glanced at himself in the mirror and couldn't help but feel a bit shocked. He looked terrible. Dark rings around his eyes, his skin an even paler grey then normally and his hair still a sweaty mess. He splashed some cold water in his face and took a few deep breaths, as he looked in the mirror again and brushed a hand through his hair he heard a soft laughter in the back of his mind...

He opened the door and stepped in to the hallway. It was really quiet, the others were probably already gathered at the dining area. He quickly crossed the hallway, following the sounds of chatter and when he entered the room, everyone was indeed there, chatting and relaxing.
He took one of the chairs near Whisper and took in the scene, occasionaly glancing at Whisper. She noticed and gestured to him to join the conversation.

So good of you to join Aequitas, we were talking about our abilities, trying to see where our strengths and weaknesses lie as a group. It has been really interesting so far. Could you tell us a bit more about yours?

Aequitas cleared his throat and took a sip of his drink, before starting to speak.

As you might know, I'm a religious man, and thus my strength comes from my faith in the Gods. But that's probably not what you mean... My strengths in battle are something I don't talk about often, so please interrupt me if I'm not clear enough.

When I go to combat I fight for one reason, to utterly destroy the enemies that threaten me and the ones I care for, I fight for power and survival and am so focussed at this goal that at those moments nothing else matters, allegiance to none but the God I serve and anything that gets in my path.... well you get the picture I think.
I believe that in battle there is no place for honor. It's life or death and I will use anything to be the one that survives. I set my enemies against eachother, use illusions to trick them. I use poisons to weaken and fear to cripple them. So when we go into a fight you will see me mostly in the thick of battle, creating chaos.

Because of this only the truly dedicated or crazy followed me on the battlefield. But those who did, always did so till the end, fighting with even more zeal then they would normally. Maybe there is still a bit of a leader and battlefield commander in me.

As a paladin I know some healing as well ofcourse, but don't rely on this to much in the thick of battle...

They continued chatting, not only tactics and strategy but also tales from their past battles. As time passed he started to feel the worst of his weariness
seep away. In his mind he thanked Zariah for this small moment of peacefulness.

Minescratcher
2017-05-31, 03:48 PM
Whisper had wanted to see the other halfling fly on his creature... Bill?... for quite a while and she does so on the third day. When he lands, she greets him with a cheery wave. "Those are some impressive flying skills, Reed. That's not something you get to see any day, or at all, where I come from. What led you to this, if I may ask?" Her hand movement in Bill's direction could mean anything from 'flying on a creature' to 'this life' and she leaves it to him to share what he wishes.

"Well... sometimes I'm not sure myself. I was a farmer out in the Feywild, not the easiest of lives, but not too bad either. Learned all my riding skills there." Reed began to get Bill's saddle off, the creature holding surprisingly still while he did so.

"A few years ago, there was an... expedition, of sorts, and I joined up to go. To make a long story short: there were some poor decisions all round, I ended up unconscious in the Frozen Wastes and the others gave me up as dead. That was..." The Halfling trailed off, his smile fading.

"Well, I got out of there eventually. Found this guy -" Reed stroked Bill's neck "- made friends with him, and eventually flew out of there. Since I returned, it's been one long interrogation from a hundred different scholars." He smiled again, then fed Bill a fish.

"What about you? I don't think I've heard your story yet."

Sicarius Victis
2017-05-31, 06:36 PM
Whisper decides to seek out the... firedancer?... in her room and is unsurprised by the smell of scorched things greeting her nose after she knocks and opens the door. "Good day, Silvarel. Everything still fully functional in here?" She smiles cheekily and closes the door after her. "If you don't mind, I'd like to talk for a few minutes... it seems you have a few good stories to tell. I'd like to get to know you better, see what made you become who you are now. I don't think I've ever seen someone of your profession and I must admit I'm very curious. Why fire?"

"Actually, that's got a relatively simple answer. I'm far from the best at magic in general, but I've always had a particular affinity for fire-related magic. I don't know why I have the affinity, honestly. My old mentor mentioned a theory about certain personalities being related to certain types of magic, but I haven't had a chance to talk with her in a while.

As for my profession, that's also pretty simple. The spelldancing is a traditional practice of my old tribe, and our warriors had a pretty dance-like fighting style. Put the two together, and you've got what I do.

And yes, everything is still fully functional. For some strange reason, they decided to put me in a mostly fireproof room. I can't imagine why."

Ursus the Grim
2017-06-02, 07:07 PM
Sarlus had allowed explicitly for people to come by and chat with him, so she drops by his room during the alloted time. After knocking and opening the door, she wrinkles her nose at the smell. What is it with people and fire on this ship? "Good day, Sarlus. Uh... are you all right? You look a bit... frazzled. Should I come back later for a chat?"

Sarlus glances up as the door to his cabin opens, and abruptly extinguishes the flames that he had wrapped himself in, leaving a sweaty and disheveled aasimar behind.

"I'm always frazzled," he insists with a wave of his hand. With that same hand, he gestures to a solid, plain wooden chair. Like most of the furniture in the room, it had been pushed to the relative safety of the very edges of the cabin. Sarlus himself takes a few steps over to the foot of his bed and leans against the bedpost, trying to appear casual and relaxed and failing at it.

"You had something to discuss?"