PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help for auto magic progression

redfeline
2017-04-23, 12:15 AM
So my wife and I need some help for a game she is working on.

Basicly in this game we have a powerful non magic nation going on which hunts and kill mages that hide, mostly because they don't want to die. The players are forced into the military early on and start hunting witches. As the game progresses in levels the player develop magic powers and from there the game really opens up to what the players wish to do.

Any how does any one have any suggestions for how to run a simple system where the players get spell like abilities every so often or does any one know of an already existing system?

Morphic tide
2017-04-23, 01:18 AM
So my wife and I need some help for a game she is working on.

Basicly in this game we have a powerful non magic nation going on which hunts and kill mages that hide, mostly because they don't want to die. The players are forced into the military early on and start hunting witches. As the game progresses in levels the player develop magic powers and from there the game really opens up to what the players wish to do.

Any how does any one have any suggestions for how to run a simple system where the players get spell like abilities every so often or does any one know of an already existing system?

Well, in Pathfinder you have Sorcerer bloodlines to crib from as a framework. If it were 3.X I'd point at templates to use as a basis. The best way to do it, for me, would be to basically make them fixed list partial casters, probably Sorcerer based.

Really, the quickest way is to do partial gestalt, where they gain levels in spontaneous casting classes based on some fraction of their actual level. Like getting one level in a spontaneous caster class for every three levels of "real" classes, being able to just pick out a second set of class levels with the restriction that they have to be spontaneous casting. PRCs might be banned from it, but it's a good way to let people play the game mostly normally.

In case you aren't familiar with the rules of gestalt, you take the better hit die, saves and skill points of the two classes you take levels in at a level to decide what you get for that level, as well as the class features of both. You probably should restrict them to the classes that have no features to boost mundane abilities outside their spells. Rules-wise, the only difference between spells and spell-like abilities is that spell-like abilities are a separate ability for each spell while actual spells use spell slots. Everything treats a spell-like ability as a spell unless it's stealing abilities.