PDA

View Full Version : Burning magic items.

SangoProduction
2017-04-23, 04:23 AM
So, an oft-overlooked option in 3.5 is that a number of magic items glow like a torch, basically.

Aside from aesthetics, is there any reason this can't be more themed? Like a cloak that gave fire resist looking like it was actually burning (heatless and what not)?

Uncle Pine
2017-04-23, 04:33 AM
Some magic items do exactly that. For example, I remember some sort of salamander cloak in MIC that looked like molten lava.

Fizban
2017-04-23, 06:41 AM
Cosmetic effects are up to the DM and cost nothing, until a PC expresses interest at which point things suddenly need to have stats and costs because reasons. Or not.

Gildedragon
2017-04-23, 09:03 AM
I feel cantrip level effects that affect the object itself ought be just allowed as part of a magic item. There's some ruling around that with 30% of magical weapons glowing like a torch.
Alternate effects might be:
crawling symbols that glow like a candle
Self cleaning and polishing
Hums musically as it cuts through the air
Vibrates when pointed in certain direction (usually north, but alternatively at a certain holy city, place where it was forged... Etc)
Color changing (according to wielder's mood or just randomly)
Tarnishes when put in contact with poison
Etc

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-23, 09:16 AM
I feel cantrip level effects that affect the object itself ought be just allowed as part of a magic item. There's some ruling around that with 30% of magical weapons glowing like a torch.
Alternate effects might be:
crawling symbols that glow like a candle
Self cleaning and polishing
Hums musically as it cuts through the air
Vibrates when pointed in certain direction (usually north, but alternatively at a certain holy city, place where it was forged... Etc)
Color changing (according to wielder's mood or just randomly)
Tarnishes when put in contact with poison
Etc

There are rules for adding effects like to items you craft yourself (DMG2 i think).
There's no reason you can't add them to magic items you distribute as loot.

flappeercraft
2017-04-23, 10:55 AM
I just allow aesthetics to be up to the player if its a custom item. For printed item it has the aesthetics that it says it does unless the player wants to change them in which case he can